Ama Ama

Paflyers

Mouseketeer
I am trying to make reservations in Feb for dinner at Ama Ama. What would be the best time frame so that we are having dinner during the sunset?

Do it as fast as possible. I am going next week and I made my reservation 30 days out and the only way I could get a reservation was from my AMEX platinum concierge. I have DVC with Aulani and that did not help. Only way in was from Amex, Good luck.

Sunset is normally between 6.15-6.45pm so I would be making a reservation for around 6pm. A word of warning - it can be extremely glare-y, blindingly so depending on where you are sitting for a short period of time so take sunglasses!

Do it as fast as possible. I am going next week and I made my reservation 30 days out and the only way I could get a reservation was from my AMEX platinum concierge. I have DVC with Aulani and that did not help. Only way in was from Amex, Good luck.

Reservations usually aren’t a problem when you book them 60 days out from your stay. But once that time frame passes, it fills up quick! So @Paflyers, since you’re not at the 60 day mark yet, you should be fine. But definitely calendar the day you need to make the reservations!

Sunset is normally between 6.15-6.45pm so I would be making a reservation for around 6pm. A word of warning - it can be extremely glare-y, blindingly so depending on where you are sitting for a short period of time so take sunglasses!

Double down on this, especially the glare. So absolutely have sunglasses handy!

My wife and I just got back from Aulani. Sunset was around 5:45 pm or so. This photo was just after 6 pm according to the iPhone

If we want sunset we have make our reservations for 5:30/5:15 and enjoy a relaxing dinner. Once it gets to dark you lose a lot of the atmosphere because if there is no moon you really can't see much.

If we want sunset we have make our reservations for 5:30/5:15 and enjoy a relaxing dinner. Once it gets to dark you lose a lot of the atmosphere because if there is no moon you really can't see much.
So for February it says sunset is apox. at 6:30PM would ya'll recommend that I book my time for 6 or 5:30?

I would do 5:30 but my dinners usually last 1.5 hours. If you eat faster than 6 is fine. By 6:50 there won't be much to see.

Are kids welcome at Ama Ama during dinner time?

I'm sure the restaurant wouldn't refuse service to them, but would bringing my children (5 and 7) annoy other guests?

We went with our 10 year old last month and there were younger kids there. My daughter would have been fine at 5 to go, but you know your kids best. Quieter voices and staying more or less seated are appropriate for this restaurant.

Our kids have been going to Ama Ama since they were 6, 4 and 2 - the last time they went they were 13, 11 and 8.

Yeah we were given complimentary dinner at Ama Ama when my kids were 7 and 10. It definitely was quieter in the restaurant than say Makahiki but should be doable. Of course last resort was the electronics lol.

We were given dinner there since they accidentally made a mistake with our luggage. We had checked out the day of but left the luggage at the bell desk so we can use the pools/amenities till the evening before we headed back to my in-laws. Long story short they sent the luggage with another guest for some reason and the person was a local luckily and was able to track him/her down and retrieved it. We ended up having to wait past dinner time to get the luggage back so they went ahead and offered their apologies and complimented our dinner (Ama Ama or Makahiki)

Are kids welcome at Ama Ama during dinner time?

I'm sure the restaurant wouldn't refuse service to them, but would bringing my children (5 and 7) annoy other guests?

Well behaved children do not annoy anyone. At that age, they should be able to sit and behave themselves for the duration. We have been taking our kids out to eat since they were toddlers. Teach good table manners early, and you won't have any issues the rest of their upbringing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter