Amazon Raising Monthly Fee for Prime

It's a smart move if they had a lot of new monthly subscribers for the holiday period - the price increase could convert a lot of them to the annual subscription.

I am Treasurer for a theatre boosterclub. We do amazon monthly. Why? Because we dont need it every month. We have a big spending surge in the fall and a big one in the spring. If the director needs to order something prime they activate it for a month. Many times though they get free shipping without needing prime.

Like most here, I didn’t know monthly was an option. I’m not sure what my tipping point would be since I use Amazon a lot. Kindle and merchandise mostly. Between Amazon and Groupon, I’m in danger of being on Hoarders one day.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-hikes-price-prime-18-142951363.html

It doesn't apply to yearly subscription cost, which already went up a while back to $99 (from $79, IIRC).

Two questions come to mind:

1. Does anyone pay on a monthly basis? If so, is there a reason why? To be honest, I didn't know that was an option.

2. Do you have a "breakeven point"? In other words, at what price would it not be worth it any more?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what annual cost Amazon would have to go up to for me to reconsider my Prime membership. I imagine there would be a max price I would pay, but they're not there yet. :p

1. I have been, because they have made so many errors (with shipping or sending expired food or the wrong item) that I had 6 months free at one point.

2. I'm going back to an annual pay, BUT only because of the free music, movies and shipping. Otherwise, I'd just let it go. I mean, I pay $13 a month for Netflix too (streaming only, 4 screens +HD).

I know my sister pays monthly but I have no idea why. I think she did it that way originally and keeps forgetting to change it.

I don't know what the price point is for me canceling. I definitely get way more than my money's worth.

Me too. I pay annually, however. It's not worth $14 a month. But, I get way more "free" shipping than $100 worth. I rarely use the movie/TV feature though.

I knew about the monthly payment option but since I can afford the annual payment it makes more sense economically.

I currently have something coming from Amazon 1-2 times a week (more during Christmas shopping time) so prime probably saves me $200+ a year in shipping costs.

I listen to prime music all the time since it has no commercials like pandora.

With Amazon originals I have been watching the streaming more than I use to.

I have a kindle and it is nice getting one free book a month and being able borrow others.

Amazon would probably have to raise the annual cost to over $200 before I would consider canceling.

1. I have been, because they have made so many errors (with shipping or sending expired food or the wrong item)

:crazy2:

Check out Target.com's grocery section. They have free shipping over $35. And they don't have weird minimums on items the way Amazon does. And no Prime needed to buy grocery items.:p

Also, Walmart.com has an even larger grocery section online. Also free shipping over $35. :thumbsup2

Everything I've gotten has had a decent expiration date.

Add me to the list of individuals who would be lost without Amazon and therefore don’t know my breaking point. We had over 250 deliveries last year, everything from dog food to books to a pack of red taper candles for Christmas. It probably makes me inefficient as a shopper but it’s so easy.

With Amazon starting their own distribution and delivery arms, it will be interesting to see what happens next. My husband and I were joking that they should just take over the post office and be done with it.

:crazy2:

Check out Target.com's grocery section. They have free shipping over $35. And they don't have weird minimums on items the way Amazon does. And no Prime needed to buy grocery items.:p

Also, Walmart.com has an even larger grocery section online. Also free shipping over $35. :thumbsup2

Everything I've gotten has had a decent expiration date.

That and one of the "good" Walmarts by us has the pick up grocery option. I use it when I get a $10 off using the service coupon. DH will swing by and pick the stuff up on the way home. Saves me from going to get TP, napkins, shampoo, etc. Plus I usually get a bag of freebies from them; last time it was a full size bottle of Dove foam body wash, a package of Hi Chews, and a bunch of coupons.

Add me to the list of individuals who would be lost without Amazon and therefore don’t know my breaking point. We had over 250 deliveries last year, everything from dog food to books to a pack of red taper candles for Christmas. It probably makes me inefficient as a shopper but it’s so easy.

With Amazon starting their own distribution and delivery arms, it will be interesting to see what happens next. My husband and I were joking that they should just take over the post office and be done with it.

I like using Chewy.com for the pet stuff. I do a delivery every 8 weeks, with one big bag of cat food, 2 cases of soft food and 6 bags of cat litter. Comes up to about $105 (I use the Frisco clumping cat litter) and I don't have to haul it around in a cart or in and out of the car!

I can't say I have a breaking point especially since I just expense it to work. I use my account for a lot of business purchases which also made my account tax exempt since my employer is tax exempt.

Our cell phone company offers Prime on a monthly basis that can be added to your plan. Why??? We pay yearly directly to Amazon. Count me in as someone who thinks the value for the money is substantial. Not only have we maxed out the # of people allowed to use it for free shipping, we use it for Alexa, streaming, kindle, and many other things.

What I am not looking forward to is taxes this year. I "think" all of 2017's purchases were taxed since Amazon started taxing purchases but I still have to double check. Our state has been very vocal that they are coming after anyone with large fines who had over $500 in purchases that were not taxed and does not claim them on their state taxes. Many times I have $500 in purchases in a single month. I am going to have to find the time to go through my "orders" section and pull up each invoice to make sure it was taxed.

I thought it has more to do with their Prime movie & TV streaming service. There are some shows & movies one can buy outright separately, without Prime. Others, are offered only to Prime members to watch.

I thought to do Prime for a month when I wanted to watch the whole series of Downton Abbey before the new/last season started. It was cheaper than buying each episode separately. Then my PBS channel aired the whole series, so I didn't have to get Prime.

Quick google search brings up this article, which is probably where I read/heard it! It was to lure low-income shoppers. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...rime-membership-rate-for-low-income-customers

Am I the only NPR reader/listener on Dis?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!