America West to charge for in-flight meals

It's a gambit: It's success is tied tightly to whether or not other airlines follow suit. If they do, then they've successfully separated out a cost-center from their operating budget, and can readily turn it into a profit center. Pricing can be used to ensure profitability, and if profitability cannot be maintained, they can readily cease the service without replacement.

They're airlines, not caterers, so peeling off a cost-center and making it a separate operation will help them better focus on what they really need to focus on.

I had figured, though, that they'd simply consign such operations to a sub, perhaps Host or McDonald's, and make profitability their problem.

I think it is a good thing for the airline and it doesn't make a lot of difference to the average traveller.. The airlines, all of them, have cut back or cut out food service on all of their 'shorter' (less than 4 hour) flights. So, people in coach are already getting nothing. At least now you will have the option to buy something on the plane to eat if you are really hungry and didn't get a chance to hit a place at the airport before you boarded. It isn't like America West is charging for meals they had been giving last week for free, they are basically offering a new service. It is purely optional and by the customer's choice whether or not they want to pay for it, so why not. Personally I don't see how this will be all that successful as I don't think many people will be willing to pay for 'airplane food.' However I don't see it as hurting the consumer, they didn't get meal service before so at least now they have the option if they want to pay for it.

Originally posted by sgtdisney
I think it is a good thing for the airline and it doesn't make a lot of difference to the average traveller.. The airlines, all of them, have cut back or cut out food service on all of their 'shorter' (less than 4 hour) flights. So, people in coach are already getting nothing. At least now you will have the option to buy something on the plane to eat if you are really hungry and didn't get a chance to hit a place at the airport before you boarded. It isn't like America West is charging for meals they had been giving last week for free, they are basically offering a new service. It is purely optional and by the customer's choice whether or not they want to pay for it, so why not. Personally I don't see how this will be all that successful as I don't think many people will be willing to pay for 'airplane food.' However I don't see it as hurting the consumer, they didn't get meal service before so at least now they have the option if they want to pay for it.

What he said! :teeth:

I'm not sure if I really want to be paying for some of the stuff they try and pass off as food. I remember flying American once, and the stuff they served wasn't really edible.

I typically only fly Southwest now... my last few flights, they've served a really nice snack-pack... but I typically either eat beforehand, or bring something along with me. Last time I bought a Pasta Salad beforehand, and it worked out great. I think the people in the next row were kinda jealous. :)

My thoughts on the matter though... Do whatever you want... I'm going to continue to bring my own food. :)

I remember a l---o---n---g time ago, there were three classes of service, F for first class, Y for coach, and K for economy.

On many flights, F and Y were served meals, K was not. K passengers were encouraged to buy box lunches at the airport before boarding.

My family always flew K class. If you want to call it steerage, go ahead. One exception, when I was 5 we flew, or rather my grandfather who did not go flew us, F class. I was too young to know the difference.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

seashoreCM -- I think that is the best idea yet. ;)
The problem with airlines charging, then guests are going to expect more than what they are likely to get.
As it stands currently, DH and I plan as if we are not going to get any food. That way we are prepared when we don't and pleasantly surprised when we do. :)
In October, on the way home, DH bought a very good rib dinner at the Houston airport and took it on the plane.
The airline did serve a (kid size) meal (small turkey sandwich and a few other small snack items). But we weren't expecting anything. So that was good. :)
The guy next to DH was drooling over DH's meal. ;) I told DH to offer him his turkey sandwich. He did, and the guy wolfed it down while longingly looking at DH's rib dinner. ;)
People talk about WDW food being expensive. The airport concessions are the expensive places to eat! :rolleyes:
I will really be prepared for next Friday's flight. Our layovers coming and going are very brief.
On our flight into MCO last May, some lady next to me did everything but ask for my food! ("I'm so hungry." "What are you eating?" and etc.) Our flight was even delayed an extra hour. She had plenty of time to grab something to eat, just the same as us. :rolleyes: :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter