Americans on European cruises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy.reilly

Earning My Ears
Hey I've recently been on 2 Disney cruises in the Caribbean this year and my family has grown tired of the Caribbean and want to extend into European Disney cruises. I just wondered whether or not if we were to go on a Disney cruise in Europe whether or not there would be many Americans on board? It's just that American people are usually so nice and I don't feel like it would feel like Disney if there weren't lots of American people on board. Sorry if it's a stupid question I'm just curious.

While there are more international guests on European DCL cruises, there are still plenty of US guests. I would guess around 60-75 %,while it’s more around 90% in North-America. Cruise lines tend to market to specific crowds, whatever the destination. You’ll have plenty of Europeans on MSC/Costa, Germans on Aida and Americans on Celebrity, RCCL, DCL, Norwegian, or Carnival.

We did a Mediterranean cruise on NCL this past January and at least 50% of the boat were Americans. Like post says above it depends on the cruise lines.

Hey I've recently been on 2 Disney cruises in the Caribbean this year and my family has grown tired of the Caribbean and want to extend into European Disney cruises. I just wondered whether or not if we were to go on a Disney cruise in Europe whether or not there would be many Americans on board? It's just that American people are usually so nice and I don't feel like it would feel like Disney if there weren't lots of American people on board. Sorry if it's a stupid question I'm just curious.
Part of the adventure of traveling is meeting other people. Yes, there are "Americans" onboard (figuring you mean US citizens, as anyone from North, Central or South America would be an "american").

I find many nationalities are nice. It's not just limited to people from any one country.

Certainly you'll find LOTS of Disney aficionados on a Disney cruise, regardless of where they are from.

I'm just amused someone out there thinks Americans are nice. I'm trying to figure out where the OP is from. North Korea? Wait, no, they don't like us either. :D

(Don't get me wrong, lots of us ARE nice.)

Yeah OP has never driven in LA traffic. Or been to NY. Or been to Walmart on black friday, or (i could go on and on). Fact of life is there are nice people everywhere and rude people everywhere. I've traveled quite a bit and seen both in most places.

We are from the UK, and have been on a couple of DCL med cruises. I can't remember the stats exactly, but there was near enough the same amount of Americans onboard as there were those from the UK. There was something like 15 different nationalities on board.
It probably depends on when you are cruising though ... The UK summer school break is from around 20th July until around 5th September, give or take a few days either side. Therefore the med cruises would likely be fairly popular with UK travellers ... the flights are short and cheap to get to the ports such as Barcelona and Rome!

Claire :)

We have a Med cruise scheduled for this summer. I’m excited to introduce my daughter to a new Part of the world. For our cruise group, the vast majority of people are from the US.

If I were to guess, I’d think cruises would appeal to Americans more than Europeans. Because it is so easy and affordable to travel within Europe, I assume Europeans who want to visit Rome would just go straight to Rome. I think of a cruise more for people who want to see a lot in a short period of time because it is not convenient/ cost prohibitive to do it otherwise.

I'll answer your question. Yes, there are plenty of Americans on DCL European cruises. You won't feel out of place.

Everyone was very nice on our Med cruise this past September. English being spoken was about 50/50. I think the CD said something that amounted to Brits/Americans were the highest total amount of passengers, but Americans were not the largest percent of passengers. It was very European and we loved it! I’m chuckling a bit because the worldly consensus is probably not how “nice” Americans are!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

As an American living in Europe, I can simply say that a Disney cruise is simply at a price point most europeans are not WILLING to pay..Sure they can afford it, but at Disney's price point the cruise better be all inklusive or AT LEAST include beer and wine at meal times.. In the Med MeinSchiff and Aida for example have this ( Meinschiff kids are free until 14 I believe?). The Disney brand is more known and appreciated by Americans. Sure other countries love Mickey and Co, but again are not willing to pay a premium ( like 1000s more) to get a picture of Mickey while on board. Europeans are simply more frugal with their cash.

Also Disney caters more to families and the window of opportuity is limited for us. It is basically illegal to pull kids from schools in almost all countries. So we have a set amount of summer weeks vacation. Most are only 6 weeks and depending on regions mainly July and August.

And as some one noted, for me Rome is more than a few hours as a port call (it's like saying you can visit Manhattan in 5 hours)... so If I want to see those places then a cruise is not the way to go. And for us, Disney is simply too expensive to float around the Med for 7 nights at about 7000 euros!!

Now where Disney interests us would be Northern Europe or British Isles...

We just did a Mediterranean cruise on DCL this past Sept and enjoyed it. There was a nice mixture of Americans and other nationalities. I actually really enjoyed our Med cruise, more so than the Caribbean and Bahama ones.

I think of a cruise more for people who want to see a lot in a short period of time because it is not convenient/ cost prohibitive to do it otherwise.

I would argue the opposite. I travel to Europe frequently for work and its so cheap and easy to travel by high speed train that its a no-brainer. And because of the trains, airlines have to work to compete for your business so flights can be found dirt cheap. For the price of a 7day DCL cruise you could probably afford train tickets and hotels in random cities throughout europe for a couple months.

I would argue the opposite. I travel to Europe frequently for work and its so cheap and easy to travel by high speed train that its a no-brainer. And because of the trains, airlines have to work to compete for your business so flights can be found dirt cheap. For the price of a 7day DCL cruise you could probably afford train tickets and hotels in random cities throughout europe for a couple months.
If its Disney it would be cheaper to buy a car in Europe and drive yourself. Other cruiselines you can find European cruises for as little 700pp. Sometimes even less.

If its Disney it would be cheaper to buy a car in Europe and drive yourself. Other cruiselines you can find European cruises for as little 700pp. Sometimes even less.

Yeah kind of funny. Had friends that did one of the river cruises in Germany for a couple thousand. Then once while working in Germany i took a train to the Rhein and hopped on a KT 3 hour tour down the Rhein for 13 Euro. I showed my friends pics and i had gone to about 1/4th of the highlight places they went for about 20 euro( the Lorelei and the castles etc)

For the price of a 7day DCL cruise you could probably afford train tickets and hotels in random cities throughout europe for a couple months.

That’s exactly what I was trying to say. I’d think Americans would cruise because they want to go many places all in one trip. Europeans know how easy it is to get around so why would they pay the Disney premium?

That’s exactly what I was trying to say. I’d think Americans would cruise because they want to go many places all in one trip. Europeans know how easy it is to get around so why would they pay the Disney premium?

Gotcha. Yeah most people i know don't want to have to think about stuff, and a cruise gives you that. Pay money, hop on, see a bunch of places and sights without having to loft a finger or think if you don't want to. I tried to tell a friend who was going to germany how I did my Rhein tour and his eyes glazed over. No way was he willing to take multiple trains to some foreign city to get on a boat then have to take multiple trains back. But its so easy once you do it a couple times. But I've taken trains all over Europe, so am familiar with them.

It's just that American people are usually so nice and I don't feel like it would feel like Disney if there weren't lots of American people on board

I don't want to scare you, but we're Aussies and we're planning a Disney Mediterranean cruise for next year. We'll do our best to be nice so that we don't ruin the "feel" of the Disney cruise!

NB: In our limited experience - everyone on a Disney cruise seems to be pretty nice. I'm not sure Disney would attract many curmudgeons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!