Americans on European cruises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just amused someone out there thinks Americans are nice. I'm trying to figure out where the OP is from. North Korea? Wait, no, they don't like us either. :D

(Don't get me wrong, lots of us ARE nice.)

Yeah OP has never driven in LA traffic. Or been to NY. Or been to Walmart on black friday, or (i could go on and on). Fact of life is there are nice people everywhere and rude people everywhere. I've traveled quite a bit and seen both in most places.
The midwest... I get stares when I am elsewhere and I hold the door open. Midwesterners are some of the nicest americans

Our head server on the Wonder said he preferred the Wonder over Magic because Americans were nicer and more generous. His words not mine. I'm sure the generous part is 100% accurate. Americans do tip.

Oh dear I'm on my eleventh DCL cruise and second Med and I'm from the UK. I promise everyone to be friendly, polite and tip well (which I always do.) I have good table manners, I don't save seats in the theatre, or talk through any performances. I don't drink to excess and am silent in the evening in my stateroom.
Do I pass the test?

Are you sure you're not Canadian?
I'm not Canadian but my son has dual nationality having married a lovely Canadian girl who he met when they were both working for Disney on the International Programme.
As they hail from North America perhaps they can vouch for me.

Part of the adventure of traveling is meeting other people. Yes, there are "Americans" onboard (figuring you mean US citizens, as anyone from North, Central or South America would be an "american").

I find many nationalities are nice. It's not just limited to people from any one country.

Certainly you'll find LOTS of Disney aficionados on a Disney cruise, regardless of where they are from.

Come on, you know what he/she was referring to. No other country calls their people "Americans" and no other country in the Americas has "America" in its name. Columbians, Brazilians, and Canadians don't call themselves American. I hate when people are picky about this. Would you have preferred United Statesians?

Come on, you know what he/she was referring to. No other country calls their people "Americans" and no other country in the Americas has "America" in its name. Columbians, Brazilians, and Canadians don't call themselves American. I hate when people are picky about this. Would you have preferred United Statesians?
Agreed. I'm an American not a South American, Canadian or Mexican. There is no place in the world where if you say you are an American are they going to think your from anywhere but the United States.

All I know is, when I traveled to Mexico, I was informed that I shouldn't ask anyone there if they had ever been to "America". So, yes, I'm picky about it.

I would say "US citizen" works for me.

All I know is, when I traveled to Mexico, I was informed that I shouldn't ask anyone there if they had ever been to "America". So, yes, I'm picky about it.

I would say "US citizen" works for me.

"US Citizen" does not fulfill the same grammatical place that "American" does. US citizen is a noun. American is an adjective or noun. There is also a difference between saying you're going to "America" (not quite correct) and that you are American (correct). And if you went to France and described yourself as a "US citizen" instead of American you would sound pretty darn silly. You can be picky about it, but it's still wrong.

"US Citizen" does not fulfill the same grammatical place that "American" does. US citizen is a noun. American is an adjective or noun. There is also a difference between saying you're going to "America" (not quite correct) and that you are American (correct). And if you went to France and described yourself as a "US citizen" instead of American you would sound pretty darn silly. You can be picky about it, but it's still wrong.
Well, I've identified myself as "from the United States" or "a US citizen" many times in my travels abroad. And no one seemed to think it was unusual.

Well, I've identified myself as "from the United States" or "a US citizen" many times in my travels abroad. And no one seemed to think it was unusual.

I'm trying to imagine being in a restaurant and someone saying "so where are you from" and saying "I'm a US citizen." Lol. Alright. Until we all collectively come up with a less clunky way to say "United Statesian" or "United States of American" I and the rest of the world will continue to use American I guess. But there's no need to correct someone for correctly using the universally accepted term for a person from the United States.

From wikipedia: "In some expressions, it retains this Pan-American sense, but its usage has evolved over time and, for various historical reasons, the word came to denote people or things specifically from the United States of America."

Does this infer that the other countries are technically the Ununited States of America?

I'll need proof of this after going out with my London colleagues after work.

Yes the Brits certainly love their drink! On the WBPC earlier this year I consumed 14 drinks total in 14 days and on my med cruise in August I was with family and my eighteen month old granddaughter so I'm sure that a drunk Grandma would not have been at all appropriate.

No imagination necessary. "Where are you from?" "I'm from the United States". Pretty easy.

Okay, but that's not identifying yourself as a US citizen and also does not make saying that you are "American" incorrect.

Again, "In some expressions, it retains this Pan-American sense, but its usage has evolved over time and, for various historical reasons, the word came to denote people or things specifically from the United States of America."

But I realize you're just not acknowledging that part of my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!