Amtrak Question - Kissimmee or Orlando

js

Been around since before the disboards 90s crash
Hi.
The last I took Amtrak was about 3-4 years ago to Disney. I believe the few times I took it I got off in Kissimmee since I thought it was closer to WDW. Is this correct? I want to book Amtrak Roomette for September but don't know if I want to put I'm getting off in Kissimmee or Orlando.
We are staying on property.
Thank you.

Do you mean Amtrak autotrain? If that is the case, it's Sanford I believe.
I'm not familiar with other train stations/types of trains so perhaps others will chime in. Can you look at a map to determine which is closer?

Do you mean Amtrak autotrain? If that is the case, it's Sanford I believe.
I'm not familiar with other train stations/types of trains so perhaps others will chime in. Can you look at a map to determine which is closer?

Thank you.
No, not autotrain. Kissimmee or Orlando for my train.
Thanks.

well....simple google search gave me this: (didn't include all website links cause I'm not sure what places we are allowed to mention on here and which ones we are not)

Amtrak trains to Walt Disney World stop at three stations: Orlando, Kissimmee and Sanford.
  • The Orlando station (served by the Silver Service/Palmetto line) is about 20 miles (a 30 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. This is a fully staffed station with an enclosed waiting area. There is a taxi stand at the station. Hertz has rental car service at this station.
  • The Kissimmee station (served by the Silver Service/Palmetto line) is about 15 miles (a 25 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. Note that many offsite hotels are in Kissimmee, so if you are staying in that city, this station may be the closest to your hotel. This is a staffed station with an enclosed waiting area. You will have to call for a taxi, if needed. No rental car service.
  • The Sanford station (served only by Auto Train) is about 43 miles (a 50 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. This is an unstaffed station with an enclosed waiting area. You will have to call for a taxi, if needed. Hertz has rental car service at this station. You will need to reserve your car in advance for this location. Call Hertz on arrival and a shuttle will pick you up from the station
and this:

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/disney-world-train-station-25143.html
and this:
The closest one to Disney World would be the Kissimmee Amtrak Station. At the train station, there's a few Lynx Bus routes going to Disney. That would be route 56. The bus will drop off at the Transportation and Ticket Center which of course is the monorail to both Magic Kingdom and Epcot. But of course, once you exit the Lynx Bus, you can transfer to a Disney Bus going to any of the resorts on property.

Obviously if bus is not an option, then Uber or Lyft but stay away from Yellow Cab... I know you hate Uber, but Taxi's are way too much! The Disney Magic Bus runs from Orlando International Airport, so if you take the Amtrak, you can transfer to Sun Rail to the Sand Lake Road station, then take a bus or Uber/lyft to the airport and then use the Magic Express bus.

well....simple google search gave me this: (didn't include all website links cause I'm not sure what places we are allowed to mention on here and which ones we are not)

Amtrak trains to Walt Disney World stop at three stations: Orlando, Kissimmee and Sanford.
  • The Orlando station (served by the Silver Service/Palmetto line) is about 20 miles (a 30 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. This is a fully staffed station with an enclosed waiting area. There is a taxi stand at the station. Hertz has rental car service at this station.
  • The Kissimmee station (served by the Silver Service/Palmetto line) is about 15 miles (a 25 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. Note that many offsite hotels are in Kissimmee, so if you are staying in that city, this station may be the closest to your hotel. This is a staffed station with an enclosed waiting area. You will have to call for a taxi, if needed. No rental car service.
  • The Sanford station (served only by Auto Train) is about 43 miles (a 50 minute drive) from Walt Disney World. This is an unstaffed station with an enclosed waiting area. You will have to call for a taxi, if needed. Hertz has rental car service at this station. You will need to reserve your car in advance for this location. Call Hertz on arrival and a shuttle will pick you up from the station
and this:

and this:
The closest one to Disney World would be the Kissimmee Amtrak Station. At the train station, there's a few Lynx Bus routes going to Disney. That would be route 56. The bus will drop off at the Transportation and Ticket Center which of course is the monorail to both Magic Kingdom and Epcot. But of course, once you exit the Lynx Bus, you can transfer to a Disney Bus going to any of the resorts on property.

Obviously if bus is not an option, then Uber or Lyft but stay away from Yellow Cab... I know you hate Uber, but Taxi's are way too much! The Disney Magic Bus runs from Orlando International Airport, so if you take the Amtrak, you can transfer to Sun Rail to the Sand Lake Road station, then take a bus or Uber/lyft to the airport and then use the Magic Express bus.
Luggage is not allowed on Disney buses, so unless OP only has a backpack, they'd have to take a different form of transportation.

and this:

and this:

Thank you so much for this information.
I have only ever stopped at Kissimmee and there have always been taxis waiting.

I actually do very much like Uber and still, to this day, do not know why my account was canceled and app disabled, even though I spoke to them via email. As mysterious as it was that they disabled it, it magically came back last week, so I have no clue and have used and will use again until they cut me off again LOL

With the information you posted, Kissimmee is about 5 miles closer to Disney and the stop before Orlando, which then includes others getting off/on, etc., so I think I will stick with Kissimmee and call Uber, which is what I would do for Orlando.

Thanks so much!

Luggage is not allowed on Disney buses, so unless OP only has a backpack, they'd have to take a different form of transportation.

I lol'd at the backpack. That's not happening LOL
We will both have luggage and Uber from station.

I actually do very much like Uber and still, to this day, do not know why my account was canceled and app disabled, even though I spoke to them via email. As mysterious as it was that they disabled it, it magically came back last week, so I have no clue and have used and will use again until they cut me off again LOL
Sometimes, if there is some kind of a complaint, they temporarily deactivate an account while they do an "investigation." They also do that if there is some indication that there was fraud on the account -- like someone using your account without your authorization.

Uber is usually pretty good with customer relations, but if you email them you will often get a "bot" reply which may have little to do with your question.

In any event, you're back up now. I would put Lyft on my phone too, just in case.

Hi.
The last I took Amtrak was about 3-4 years ago to Disney. I believe the few times I took it I got off in Kissimmee since I thought it was closer to WDW. Is this correct? I want to book Amtrak Roomette for September but don't know if I want to put I'm getting off in Kissimmee or Orlando.
We are staying on property.
Thank you.

Pretty sure the cost on the Sliver Service trains is the same whether you disembark from Kissimmee or Orlando but the Orlando stop is the first you will reach and by mileage Kissimmee is closer. Once we opted to stay on until Kissimmee thinking it would be less crowded and easier to get a cab but the train was held up for an hour so going forward decided to grin and bear the crowd at Orlando. Truth be known it's a well organized station with nearby shops to pick up sundries and a pretty decent food truck type set up on the actual platform. Whether you chose Lyft or Uber I've found the price better than Mears or other local cab service. According to our last trip (Jan. 3, 2020) it cost $32.25 from BWI to Amtrak/Orlando via Uber.

I've some news regarding the dining car service on the Silver Meteor; it's changed.
No longer are meals cooked to order. All are nuked and there is no tablecloth service. On the other hand tables are no longer shared and you can choose your own dining time.

HTH and have fun.

You may find that the Star is better priced than the Meteor at this point.

Last edited:
You may find that the Star is better priced than the Meteor at this point.

As of the last time I checked the roomette prices are now the same for both Star & Meteor since they will both have flex dining at the time the OP is discussing. The change starts in May, I believe, for Star.

It used to be that you could get a rental at Orlando, but Hertz left that station recently. We just get a Lyft, and we still get off at Orlando just to get off the train a station sooner. :)

As of the last time I checked the roomette prices are now the same for both Star & Meteor since they will both have flex dining at the time the OP is discussing. The change starts in May, I believe, for Star.
This is correct. I would only add that you should check fares on both trains for your date of travel, as sleeper fares on each can vary by hundreds of dollars depending on the number of rooms that have been sold.

It used to be that you could get a rental at Orlando, but Hertz left that station recently. We just get a Lyft, and we still get off at Orlando just to get off the train a station sooner. :)
We really weren't happy with the change in menu and method of preparation. Or the lack of reservations as some people thought they were sitting in the cafe car and didn't move for hours what with pecking away on their laptops....sigh. Breaking bread with strangers really never bothered us so that part of the "upgrade" holds no water, same as Amtrak touting that you can now have the room attendant bring meals to your sleeping accommodations since that was an amenity always available.
We were served the same menu for lunch and dinner: a shrimp fettuccine dish (don't do it!), braised beef in a red wine sauce (acceptable even though the green beans were cooked more than I like), an Asian noodle dish (less than meh) and something else I don't recall. There was meatballs and spaghetti on the children's menu so the man opted for that for dinner and felt it was much better than the shrimp fettuccine. Just recalled the other adult entree: a shrimp and sausage jambalaya type dish. DGD picked through it somewhat unhappily. I felt for the poor dining room attendant who was left to leave a cup for tips.

Currently, Amtrak says this is an experiment and well I hope it fails miserably.

I'm in the midst of planning a spring break trip to Chicago via Amtrak, and plan to either: pack a muffuletta sandwich to bring w/ us or scope out decent takeout places in any station we sit in long enough to grab and go. On the bright side, Amtrak is back to stocking those yummy dark chocolate brownies and the decent but not as good blondies, both made by the same company as before.

We really weren't happy with the change in menu and method of preparation.

Currently, Amtrak says this is an experiment and well I hope it fails miserably.

We're not happy, either. We're now faced with paying for meals with either the Star or the Meteor, which wouldn't be so bad, save for one big personal issue. We're vegetarian & vegan, and they don't guarantee they'll have any vegan meals available. They will stock limited vegan meals and could possibly run out, depending on demand. So we could wind up paying more to have meals included (With no option to forgo the meals and pay less.) and finding there's nothing vegan left, which is kind of a lousy deal. So, at this point I'm not feeling any love for this "experiment", either. 😕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!