Amtrak travel

zurgswife

WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett
Any experienced train travelers out there that would like to share experiences.....we are considering taking the train....thanks

We've only taken the train once roundtrip, and as I said on a previous post, we didn't go for it at all! Our main mistake was not getting the sleeper car, but a few other things bothered us:

LOOOOOOOOOONG 28 hours one way. We like to get going as soon as we get to WDW but we were beat.

Not all that clean, bathrooms a little gross.

Food on board was expensive, snacks and meals. Our kids ended up wearing most of their drinks, etc.

"Happy" people leaving the bar car at all hours. Tend to "bounce" off all the seats as they walk (this was actually kinda funny!).

Worse was adding the two extra days to the vacation just to take the train down and back. We took the kids out of school for a few days to go in the off season, and the extra days resulted in extra homework/schoolwork to catch-up on after our trip (plus tons given to them to bring with them!).

The Amtrak staff was the saving grace of the trip. They are the friendliest bunch and treat you wonderfully. I think if you know what your in for, it will probably be fine. It's just a means to an end, right?

Thanks for the comments

Harambe...at least our trip will only be 23 hrs and our trip at WDW is for 2 weeks, so for a change we will have a little extra breathing room. As far as snacks go...i figured like driving I'd bring a stash of our own.. I think "Happy" people watching could also be amusing...

TandyR...I'm off to check out your links thanks so much...

We took the train from Philadelphia 6 years ago on our 1st trip to Disney. We went coach. 2 bathrooms and 40 people per car, think about it. Also, kids who couldn't or wouldn't sleep. OK for the price, but didn't get much sleep (except for the naps during the day.) You sleep in your seat and it doesn't recline totally flat so it's hard to get comfortable. There were movies in each car with TV's thru the car. You needed earplugs, which you could buy in the snack car.

Last August we took the AutoTrain from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. It goes straight thru except to pick up a new engine along the way. We got a Deluxe sleeper car this time. Almost a double bed on the bottom and almost a twin on top. Our own bathroom in the room. No sharing except with the family. On the Autotrain meals are included, whether you are coach or first class (i.e. sleeper car)and wine is included with dinner at least in 1st class. Don't know about wine in coach dining car. Each section has their own dining car. The food is very nice. You get a choice of a beef, chicken, fish or vegetable entree. There are usually 2 to 3 desserts to choose from.
First class can wander anywhere on the train, but coach can only go in coach areas. There is a snack area in the car they show the movies in.

This summer we are going to drive down and take the Autotrain back. Because of my working on Saturday we would have to wait to catch the train on Sunday, get to Sanford on Monday and not get a whole day in the parks till Tuesday. This way we can leave Saturday night, share the driving, stop for some rest and hopefully get there by late Sunday night, get some sleep and hit the parks on Monday. We have time left on our Premium Annual Passes from last year and don't want to waste a day.

Addicted to Disney, Who, Me?

We've also taken the Auto Train and although I don't mind driving, we just drove in January, when traveling with four children, the extra room is nice.

We travel coach and have always had two seats per person since it was never crowded. The children take along their gameboys, books and other things to keep them busy.

Wine is included in the coach dining, and although not gourmet food, we were pleasantly surprised with the dinner. We enjoyed our meals.

There is always two showings of a movie (same one) and you can watch it in the lounge car (scheduling it around your dinner time).

The train does shake and rattle and little more than we had anticipated the first time we rode, but we are now used to it. Sleeping is not prime, but it saves a lot of time over driving and staying over at a hotel. We arrive in Orlando approx. 10:00 a.m. rather than the 4:00-5:00 when we drive.

I recommend the Auto Train!

We've done the autotrain for one trip. It is very convenient to get on in Lorton and just get off in Sanford, with your car. The only thing I would do differently is book deluxe sleeping cars rather than the family car. The family car is on the bottom level at the back of the car and you get the connection noise and it rolls quite a bit. I believe being upstairs in the deluxe sleepers would be much better. We enjoyed the movie and the food. It was a very nice experience.

Just finished looking into taking the auto train...the price isn't too bad though we would be traveling coach as with 6 people getting sleeping cars is outrageous in price. But I told DH the price of not shelping luggage into and out of airports is worth at least $100 each direction.

Though it was interesting that I was told that dining is not included in the price of a coach ticket...so the above to posters I'm not sure where you got your info but it is either incorrect or has changed since you rode the auto train...Though I figure for dinner we can always get hot food from the snack car to make it though....

It will be a fun adventure any way you look at it...

Hi zurgswife ... be sure that they understood you were asking about the Auto Train when questioned about the dinner. On coach out of Philly meals are not included, but when traveling Auto Train, dinner and breakfast are included for all guests. You can go to their website and read what's included.

We just traveled recently and meals have always been included.

Any more questions, keep them coming....

Interesting because the agent I just booked the auto train with said only meals were included when you booked a sleeping car. I haven't found anything on the site with regards to auto train and meals...I'll keep looking...it would be great if meals were included with the auto train...

Well I found it on there site it says meals included so I guess the agent was wrong....yippy....

Good you found out the right info....I was 98% sure that auto train the meals were included.

I just made our train reservations for our Feburary trip. I wanted to book early because I know the prices of the sleepers go up quickly as people buy them. So for 4 people coach from Boston -> NYC and deluxe sleeper from NYC -> Orlando and sleeper fron Orlando -> NYC and coach from NYC -> Boston was $979.40. Seems like a good price and it will be a grand adventure. :D

Well I booked the auto train for 6 people 2adults and 4 kids and our car ....$1123....not too bad I thought and I get to have a car in WDW for my 2 week stay....

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the Auto Train! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter