An Alphabetical Stroll Through Bali and Australia/+ a Bit of Philippines- K is for: Kickin’ It with the Capuchin Monkeys & L is for: Lazy Days (5/28)

L is for: Lazy Days and Lounging

I’d last left off about to dunk my overheated (and walked-out) self into the pool. This was no ordinary pool. I mean, yes, it was rectangular and filled with nice, refreshing clear water, but this particular pool overlooked a small family rice field where the bird watching was nothing short of perfection.

(Yes, it's an active rice field and this guy was trying to keep the bird thieves out.)

(Not staged. As was lounging, this plumeria blossom floated down right to my chair!)

(The Javan Pond Heron (larger bird in front) & The White-breasted Waterhen)

(A bird that was too fast for me, but made a nice photo)

First, though, I finally got to see my room. To say I was impressed would be an understatement! I had no idea for $42/night I’d actually get a HUGE room with a tub and extra seating area. Take a peek!! I mean holy smokes! I loved the drying rack in the bathroom, the housekeeping at least once a day with complimentary water, fresh pool towels whenever I needed one, and the mosquito netting. The only downside was the AC was only barely adequate. I needed to run it 24/7 and it didn’t seem to get close to cool enough to sleep until pretty late. Still…. $42 a night!!

It was within EASY walking distance to the city center where a lot of what I wanted to see was and I walked a LOT. There were TONS of great warungs nearby with live music if I’d wanted to take some in (I did, but I’ll get to this later) and loads of shops and convenience stores.

The resort, Abipraya, has about 10 rooms/suites and mine was probably the best. It had the little pond right out the front doors that I could sit and have a view if I wanted, but honestly, all the rooms had wonderful locations along the rice field or other gardens with little patios. I’d have been happy in any of them.

(Fun masks hung around in the trees)

Aside from the guest rooms, the Abipraya has several little comfortable seating areas with padded furniture and surrounded by potted or hanging plants and flowers. I took advantage of them now and then as I waited for drivers or wanted a change of scenery. But my favorite was the breakfast patio. This is where I sat each morning while my INCLUDED breakfast was made and served. It was nice and relatively cool with a breeze that took the edge off of the quickly warming mornings.

(My view from breakfast each morning)

There were, of course, 5 or 6 family/business alters that always had fresh flowers and incense.

Now that I was settled, I put on my suit, grabbed my book, and headed outside. I joined another couple in the luscious water and finally found some relief from the suffocating heat. The other folks turned out to be a French couple who go to Bali every year for vacation. They were absolutely delightful and we chatted while we soaked for nearly an hour. The gentleman had injured his leg when he fell off of his scooter in the south of the island a few days prior and was hoping to see a doctor in a few days there in Ubud. It really looked pretty bad. :(

After a bit a sweet little German family came out to the pool, Mom, Dad, and 2 kiddos who, like all kids, loved to splash and play. I was done for the most part anyway so let them have their fun being tossed up by dad while mom rested. Meanwhile I lounged on a padded chaise reading my book and drying off- sort of. One doesn’t ever really dry out in Bali. Ever.

(I was reading Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford which gives an okay read about the building of Flagler's railroad down to Key West and its horrible fate in the end.)

It had been a long and very full day, and I think the stress of travel, the oppressive heat, my lack of drinking enough water, and a looming medical issue (cue the foreshadowing) was taking a toll. I had somewhere along the way developed a raging headache and really wasn’t feeling all that well. But I was a bit hungry and still anxious to try ALL the Indonesian food my traveling tummy could consume. So, I grabbed my camera and my phone with my debit cards in their magnetic card holder and ventured out to find the pharmacy for some Tylenol. Yes, I’d packed some, but was either out already or it was lost in the blackhole of my baggage. Luckily, there was a drugstore just down the road from the hotel and I popped in and got 10 tabs of paracetamol for about $.50 (Tylenol- overseas they won’t know “Tylenol” but will know what you need if you ask for “paracetamol”, just a fun fact in case you need some.)

By then, it was almost dark, and I was ready to find another delicious meal of spicy, flavorful Indonesian food. I ended up a few hundred yards away at the “Lemongrass Bisma Warung” where I found a little table facing outwards towards yet another little rice field and the sunset off in the distance. I had my own little candlelight dinner with fresh flowers on my table.

I first ordered some electrolyte replacement. 😉 I present to you, my first course.

For my main course I chose the Nasi Bira, yellow rice, served with a gorgeous array of spicy goodies heaped around it. While I adored everything I was served, I couldn’t even come close to finishing it. There was no point taking it home as breakfast was included and I had plans for the next day away from the resort. Besides for about $7 why bother.

I lingered until about 7:30 when I gave in to my exhaustion and headed back to my incredibly comfy king size bed. I was asleep by 8:30 excited for Day 2 of my Balinese Adventure.

Coming up… Early morning in Ubud on a holiday’s eve

Last edited:
I’d last left off about to dunk my overheated
What??? Your overheated what?!?!?!?
my overheated and walked out self
Oh.
but this particular pool overlooked a small family rice field where the bird watching was nothing short of perfection.
Sounds pretty nice. :)
IMG_3173-2-L.jpg
What a nice little shot. :)
(Not staged. As was lounging, this plumeria blossom floated down right to my chair!)
Makes the photo 10X better!
You weren't kidding when you said it was perfect for bird watching.
Caught on the wing! Nice grab. :thumbsup2
I had no idea for $42/night I’d actually get a HUGE room with a tub and extra seating area.
Whoa!
I'm thinking I need to visit this place.
The only downside was the AC was only barely adequate.
:headache: D'oh! The one thing you really need...
Still…. $42 a night!!
Good point!
Wow! What a room! Not just a tub... but a big hot tub! And nice looking shower, too.
The resort, Abipraya, has about 10 rooms/suites and mine was probably the best.
:snooty:

:lmao:
This reminds me of the mask in James Bond's Live and Let Die. Not a great picture, but only one I could find.
1716950054463.png
the Abipraya has several little comfortable seating areas with padded furniture and surrounded by potted or hanging plants and flowers. I took advantage of them now and then as I waited for drivers or wanted a change of scenery.
Ahhhhh... relaxation...
This is where I sat each morning while my INCLUDED breakfast was made and served.
Breakfast included??? A room like that and breakfast... for $42????
(My view from breakfast each morning)
Not too shabby!
The other folks turned out to be a French couple who go to Bali every year for vacation. They were absolutely delightful and we chatted while we soaked for nearly an hour.
Nice to be able to chat. You're lucky they spoke English... although... since it's one of the major languages in Bali, I suppose I shouldn't be overly surprised.
One doesn’t ever really dry out in Bali. Ever.
But $42/night...
a looming medical issue (cue the foreshadowing)
Uh, oh... :scared:
I had somewhere along the way developed a raging headache
Not surprised by that at all. Lack of sleep plus dehydration? Not surprised one little bit.
(Tylenol- overseas they won’t know “Tylenol” but will know what you need if you use “paracetamol”, just a fun fact in case you need some.)
Huh. There's no way I'd know that... or remember it.
I had my own little candlelight dinner with fresh flowers on my table.
Very nice. :)
I present to you, my first course.
NOPE!
The rice is really interesting presentation.

I’ve always been that way. Except when I was really young I guess.
Even sleeping at night has its issues.
Ummm… sarongs. Sure. That’s me. :rolleyes:

:duck:
Well, if you go to Bali, and even if sarongs are not your thing, you will be required to wear one at every temple you visit. No sarong, no entry. Loads of folks wear them, so you'd not be out of place.
Maybe we don’t want to know.
Good point. You might be right.
But what about all those other cups???
But, but you like tea no? These were so flavorful!

Ugh, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be for long haul flying. I need to fly quite a lot for work (and from Perth, any flights are a minimum of 3.5 hours), so you'd think I'd be getting better, but I think I'm getting worse! For me it's a combo of anxiety, travel sickness, restless legs and ear pain during take-off and landing.
Oh dear, the worst of the flying bummers. Ear pain and nausea are just awful! I can always take some Ibuprofen and Tylenol, but short of sedating meds, there isn't much to be done about air sickness. You could ask for scopalamine patches?
2 of my 3 trips were actually study tours when I was learning Indonesian at school and uni, so the idea was to try to talk to as many locals as possible! My first trip was in 1994 and little girls with blonde curly hair were still very much a novelty, so I was very popular - I literally had women fighting over who would get to braid my hair lol! It was such a pivotal few years for Bali... by 2002, blonde hair was no longer a novelty.
OH WOW!! How well did you learn it? Still practice? Immersion is the only way to go for sure! When my daughter and I went to Sierra Leone to Ebola Central, it was the same way. Everyone wanted to touch our hair, LOL!

I'm sure Bali has gone through some astronomical changes, some for the good and some maybe not so good. Two sides to that coin for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter