An Asian Disney and Universal Adventure - Trip Report COMPLETED 6/23

I haven't read a trip report in years but figured I would look for one this week. Being a bit of a photography nut I thought I would go down the list and stop at the first one that hooked me in with great pictures. Your trip report reeled me in. Props to both you and Jared on a fantastic report with awesome pics! It is so interesting to read about and see the Asian parks. Thank you very much for the time and effort to share your experiences!

The Green Pod is a great idea that I never thought of when a tripod is not allowed. I may be a little scared to let go of my camera on it but I think I'll check it out. Thank you!

You mentioned challenges with Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan. Those are definitely two of the toughest that drive me bonkers. If I may, I recommend the canon 35mm 1.4/L lens that can help step up your game on those dark rides. It is a bit pricey but it is an awesome lens and I get more "keepers" with that than other lenses I have used in the past.

If you have links to prior Trip reports I would be interested in reading them if it not too much bother to provide the links.

Thank you

Great trip report, and like everyone else: I love the pictures! I hope one day I'll be as skilled with a camera like that (I use my automatic settings way too often :P )

The place was a bit of a mad house when we visited, so we didn't spend a lot of time looking at the details. Still, from what we did say I'd classify it as the best Disney castle walk through I've seen (though of course, I haven't been to Disneyland Paris and seen the dragon that resides in the castle there - I hear it's pretty spectacular!).

About the dragon in Paris... Paris is my home park, and I've seen the dragon many times (so maybe I'm not seeing the special-ness anymore), yes, it's a big animatronic you can see up close, with good surroundings, sound effects and all, but I wouldn't exactly call it spectacular. ;) I'm sure you will get to Paris one day and I would hate it if your expectations of the dragon are too high. But you do have to see it, :) it's a nice addition and it fits the castle.

By the way, I have added your trip report to the list of trip reports of the Asian parks I made in the 'Other Lands'-section. Would be a shame if people researching their trips miss this excellent report :)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-reports-of-asian-disney-parks.3604641/

Just noticed your report. I love the trip reports from the resorts outside of the US, as I may never be able to go, or at least not until my kid (or kids, eventually) are grown up. I haven't read the thread yet, but I will!

Great trip report, and like everyone else: I love the pictures! I hope one day I'll be as skilled with a camera like that (I use my automatic settings way too often :P )

About the dragon in Paris... Paris is my home park, and I've seen the dragon many times (so maybe I'm not seeing the special-ness anymore), yes, it's a big animatronic you can see up close, with good surroundings, sound effects and all, but I wouldn't exactly call it spectacular. ;) I'm sure you will get to Paris one day and I would hate it if your expectations of the dragon are too high. But you do have to see it, :) it's a nice addition and it fits the castle.

By the way, I have added your trip report to the list of trip reports of the Asian parks I made in the 'Other Lands'-section. Would be a shame if people researching their trips miss this excellent report :)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-reports-of-asian-disney-parks.3604641/

Thanks for adding the report to the list of Asian Disney trip reports - so thoughtful of you :) I am so jealous you have a "home park". I would love to have a home park (Hong Kong is probably closest to us but that's still an 8 hour flight away). I can't wait to visit your home park one day and finally check the "I've been to every Disney park" note off my bucket list :) I will temper my expectations of the dragon, but continue to look forward to seeing it :)

Just noticed your report. I love the trip reports from the resorts outside of the US, as I may never be able to go, or at least not until my kid (or kids, eventually) are grown up. I haven't read the thread yet, but I will!

I'm glad you found us, I hope you enjoy reading along. I hope you get to visit the Asian parks one day, they are truly wonderful. In the meantime I hope this report helps you visit :)

Life Update

Hello my Disney friends :) I just wanted to post a quick life update as a brief explanation of why there has been a long delay between posts. I actually suffered a miscarriage and found out in mid-April I had. It took a while for the actual bleeding to start and when it did I ended up in hospital, lost nearly 2L of blood, and as a result felt very awful for a while afterwards. In addition, when I finally was back on my feet and got to back to work I was so busy trying to catch up that I wasn't able to stop for lunch breaks (and write report updates in them) and was too exhausted when I got home. I just wanted you all to know that I'm back on board now, and I plan to make regular updates from now until I finish the report. I am doing well now, and and feeling a lot better, both emotionally and physically.

I really wanted to share this because I've been blown away by the support and love from people reading this report, and I don't want you guys to think I forgot about you or couldn't be bothered posting anymore. I really am excited to share the resort of our trip with you, now that I'm back to my normal self :) :)

beautiful photography!

Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying it :)

I haven't read a trip report in years but figured I would look for one this week. Being a bit of a photography nut I thought I would go down the list and stop at the first one that hooked me in with great pictures. Your trip report reeled me in. Props to both you and Jared on a fantastic report with awesome pics! It is so interesting to read about and see the Asian parks. Thank you very much for the time and effort to share your experiences!

The Green Pod is a great idea that I never thought of when a tripod is not allowed. I may be a little scared to let go of my camera on it but I think I'll check it out. Thank you!

You mentioned challenges with Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan. Those are definitely two of the toughest that drive me bonkers. If I may, I recommend the canon 35mm 1.4/L lens that can help step up your game on those dark rides. It is a bit pricey but it is an awesome lens and I get more "keepers" with that than other lenses I have used in the past.

If you have links to prior Trip reports I would be interested in reading them if it not too much bother to provide the links.

Thank you

Thanks so much for your fabulous feedback on my report. I love hearing from other photographers, and really appreciate feedback from them regarding our photography. I definitely want to get a prime lens for the dark rides, that lens you've recommended sounds great - we are slowly building up our lens collection, next on our wishlist is a fisheye (mostly because Jared needs it for work related things, he does a lot of marketing photography for the music store he works for), but a prime for dark rides would be my next preference! We have luckily just discovered that Jared's ex-workmate (who has recently gone to work for Canon) can get him staff rates on Canon products, so that will definitely help with the price!

The green pod is great, though where you can use a tripod it is always better. But since Tokyo Disney doesn't allow them it's an amazing alternative. I don't know if you read Disney Tourist Blog (Tom Bricker, amazing Disney Photographers blog) but he was the one who provided me with that tip! It is a little scary at first letting go of the camera (Jared would hover his hand over the camera strap ready to catch if it appeared to fall) but we never really had any issue with that at Tokyo Disney (Shanghai Disney was a different story but that was our own stupid fault :P).

Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan are so challenging! And we are really still learning when it comes to dark ride photography! I'm glad they present challenges to other photographers too.

I have a few other trip reports, but only really one other where we had our proper camera, and had started to learn how to take proper photos. We visited Disneyland, Disney World, Universal Orlando and went on a Disney cruise on that trip, and you can find the report here.

Thanks so much for reading along :)

I found your trip report and it has taken me about a week to catch up. Amazing!! This is something that we hope to do someday so I am really enjoying it!

I'm really glad you found it, and I really hope you get to do the Asian Disney trip someday. Sorry, it is a long report, hopefully you are enjoying reading along :)

Day 23 - Part 3 - Broadway to Venice

We left off having explored the S.S.Columbia, and having taken in the views of the park from the balcony. While it was still about 45 minutes until the next showing of Big Band Beat we figured we better get in line for the non-lottery seating in the balcony area of the theatre. We were definitely not the first people in line, but we were reasonably close to the front. While I waited Jared went to find some white chocolate popcorn (we really enjoyed that flavour!). Once again, I was so excited to see that everyone waiting was sitting down and resting their feet, the Japanese are so smart in that regard! Within what seemed like no time at all (after the popcorn was devoured) we were allowed into the theatre, and we got fairly decent seats towards the back of the centre section of the mezzanine seating area. We were allowed in 20 minutes before the show started as well, so it was great to sit and relax in the comfy chairs the theatre boasted.

I have no photos of the show, as photography isn't allow, but I will say that the show was fun and I can see why it's so popular. My favourite part of the show was it's live Jazz band and singers, who performed classic jazz and Broadway hits incredibly! The dancers and choreography were incredible too, and while the shows premise for including Disney characters seems a little weak, the content of the show itself is wonderful. The Japanese audience love it! They were clapping along, cheering and the most animated audience I'd seen during our time at the park. In addition, another perk for us was that the show was in English (which was strange to me but meant we were able to understand what's going on). Probably the best part of the show was Mickey's drum solo where he had a "Drum-off" with the bands drummer. And Mickey could really play to! Jared and I really enjoyed the live music here too, and could appreciate the talent of the musicians (they were incredibly talented and sounded amazing!).

When the show finished Jared was apparently too caffeine deprived to continue without another coffee, and where better to find coffee that in Italy right? So we made our way to Venice, and while Jared found his drugs (yep caffeine is a drug people) I contented myself taking photos. The Venetian canals at Tokyo Disney Sea are so beautiful, there is nothing really to do there (The Venetian Gondola's often have long waits or are not running at all when it gets a little windy) but wandering around is plenty excited for me.

It was really turning out to be a perfect day, the sky was so blue and the sun was shining and I was in the most beautiful theme park in the world - it was the best feeling in the world! I was reminded again about how Tokyo Disney Sea appears to have been made to be slowly taken in, to be explored and discovered. We really had no reason to rush from attraction to attraction at this point of the day, so that's just what we decided to do, take in the park and it's beauty. We walked, photographed, talked and soaked in every detail. It was beautiful, and actually wonderfully romantic as well (Tokyo Disney Sea is such a romantic place, I think if we lived in Tokyo we'd go for date day/night all the time!).

We decided we should actually take some photos of us at the park, so as to prove we were actually there!

Jared was still finishing his coffee drugs!

With our trust green pod we took a few photos of the two of us using the cameras timer.

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Day 23 - Part 4 - The Mysterious Mediterranean

We continued to wander through the Mediterranean section of the park, just taking in the beauty.

There were stunning tulips planted everywhere on the Eastern side of the Mediterranean Plaza area. It may have been winter but it looked like spring (just colder)!

We had found our way back into the central hub, Mysterious Island....

See if you can find the Journey to the Centre of the Earth car speeding down the mountain in the photos below.

[/ur

https://flic.kr/p/RSBTaL

Last edited:
Day 23 - Part 5 - Under the Sea

Next up we toured one of my favourite areas of the park, Mermaid Lagoon! While the area is only filled with kids rides, the atmosphere and theme itself makes you want to spend time there! And we did.

The indoor area, designed to take you under the sea, is so well done! I love the lighting!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I cannot even imagine how much heartbreak I'm sure you and Jared are going through but from your trip report it appears you have such a solid foundation and support system.

I really think you guys are an adorable couple and have enjoyed reading your report so much! It has made me want to make an Asian Disney adventure! Well, maybe after my first WDW trip this fall and then a hopeful trip to New Zealand next year, ... and then a trip to Australia...and a trip to Italy... so, it may take a while but it is on my bucket list!

Next time you guys are visiting Disneyland let me know! I would love to give you a locals tour with all the tips and tricks I've picked up over the years!!!

Day 23 - Part 6 - One day my Prince will come - and that day is today

The next part of our tour through Mermaid Lagoon was one of my favourite parts of our day! Like many girls I'm sure, who didn't understand that cartoon characters were not real, I had that hugest crush on Prince Eric. I always thought of him as my Prince, and I loved his dark hair and green eyes (I always wanted to marry someone with dark hair and green eye - lucky Jared has both :P). Anyway, because of this crush I wanted to find my Prince at Mermaid Lagoon, so I went looking for him.

Within the kids play area of Mermaid Lagoon is a recreation of Ariel's Grotto. If any of you girls (or guys) who, like me, dreamed of having a Grotto like Ariel's, you'll understand why it was so exciting for me to see the place made real. Inside the grotto is a the statue of Prince Eric that Ariel finds in the shipwreck after she saves him, and this was what I went looking for! The grotto is tucked away within the play area, it takes a bit of exploring to find, but once you are there it's lots of fun!

Anyway, I found my Prince (at Tokyo Disney Sea and in real life - my Jared is really the best Prince I could have ever asked for).

Jared had lots of fun finding different angles to photograph Eric from, while trying to minimise distractions (there were quite a few people in the grotto as well, mostly young girls - I guess the Japanese love Eric too!)

We found home - though it was a little bit different from what we remember leaving (clearly Ariel's map was a little old)

Sebastian wasn't so pleased to be trapped in the grotto

Anyway, after we had explored the grotto and Mermaid Lagoon fully, we moved onto Arabian Coast, another of my favourite areas of the park (well, let's face it, I pretty much love all the areas of Tokyo Disney Sea so I guess they are all my favourite!).

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I cannot even imagine how much heartbreak I'm sure you and Jared are going through but from your trip report it appears you have such a solid foundation and support system.

I really think you guys are an adorable couple and have enjoyed reading your report so much! It has made me want to make an Asian Disney adventure! Well, maybe after my first WDW trip this fall and then a hopeful trip to New Zealand next year, ... and then a trip to Australia...and a trip to Italy... so, it may take a while but it is on my bucket list!

Next time you guys are visiting Disneyland let me know! I would love to give you a locals tour with all the tips and tricks I've picked up over the years!!!

Thank you so much for your thoughts, it has been tough but we do have wonderful friends and family who've helped us through.

I'm glad you are enjoying reading along. I do understand your lists of places you want to go and how it seems like going to all of them will take ages, and how new places end up on the bottom of the list! Still on our bucket list is Europe and Disneyland Paris, New Zealand (I must go!) and Canada. We are hoping to make it back to Disneyland, but it may not be for a few years as we have realised we should start investing our money before we do more travel. We are planning to come in 2020 at this stage, as we promised my niece we'd take her when she was 9, and it will coincide nicely with the opening of Star Wars land I'd say (as in it should be the year after it opens so perhaps crowds will be a little less crazy).

I would absolutely love a locals tour of Disneyland! And when we get back I will definitely get in touch for that! I envy anyone who gets to call themselves a Disneyland local (Jared and I have discussed moving to the So-Cal on occasion with this as our main draw card, though we are too attached to friends and family here for it to probably ever be a reality!)

I saw there was a report about the Asian parks and I had to read. My goal is the same as yours to visit every Disney park around the world, albeit I've only been to one (WDW), but I want to learn as much as I can about touring the other parks as much as I can before I go especially the Asian ones since I heard it is quite different from the US parks. Your report is super informative and you & your husband's photos are GORGEOUS. I kinda want to steal some to use as desktop backgrounds lol I look forward to reading about more of your Asian adventures! :)

I saw there was a report about the Asian parks and I had to read. My goal is the same as yours to visit every Disney park around the world, albeit I've only been to one (WDW), but I want to learn as much as I can about touring the other parks as much as I can before I go especially the Asian ones since I heard it is quite different from the US parks. Your report is super informative and you & your husband's photos are GORGEOUS. I kinda want to steal some to use as desktop backgrounds lol I look forward to reading about more of your Asian adventures! :)

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback. Feel free to pinch the photos to use as desktop backgrounds - I actually have the one of Splash Mountain at night at Tokyo Disney as my background right now, it's lovely to look at :). Yes, Jared is very talented, and I'm grateful I have him to take such wonderful pictures for my reports! I hope you get to all the Disney parks one day, it's a fun goal to have. I'm glad you are enjoying reading along

Day 23 - Part 7 - Eating Chandu!

We found ourselves wandering through the Cashbah Food Court next, the incredible aroma of curries and all manner of Indian cuisine having drawn us in. I've heard good things about the Cashbah Food Court, but as I'm allergic to curry powder I have never eaten in here. Still, if I wasn't allergic to curry powder I would have, the smell of Indian food always calls to me, and the smell of Cashbah Food Court was divine! We wandered around for a while taking it all in.

The area is so beautiful too! Intricate and exotic, I felt like I had journeyed to Agrabah!

There are lot of quiet lane ways in the back end of Arabian Coast. It's a great place to escape the crowds.

As we were in the area I was prompted to remember another Kawaii snack that I'd read about that I wanted to try, a Chandu Tail. Sold at the Sultan's Oasis, a snack counter with outdoor (covered) seating at the back of Arabian Coast, these tails are similar to a steamed bun, but are coloured and shaped to look like Chandu's tail!

Not only is the tail completely kawaii (cute), but it is delicious! It tastes like it's filled with a chicken creamed corn mixture, sort of like the mixture I use when I make vol-au-vents. Clearly it was a gluten day for me, but if I wasn't allergic to gluten I would eat one of these every single day, it was so delicious!! Jared loved it too! He also ordered some maple balls (yes they were called that - I'm not sure the Japanese got the double entendre!). They were also good, sweet and light - filled with cream and covered in chocolate with a hint of maple. They were sort of like a cross between a profiterole and a pancake. I also got a delicious guava and white grape drink, which tasted very exotic and refreshing! We were feeling really happy at this point, enjoying our yummy treats and sitting and soaking in the atmosphere of the park. I've decided that if we ever go to Tokyo Disney again we should allocate a day just for snacking around the parks (sort of like EPCOT's Food and Wine Festival) where you just go from one land to the next enjoying the unique and yummy snacks Tokyo Disney has to offer (there are plenty of them too and the ones we tried was a very small sample of all that were available).

After our break we rode Sinbad again and enjoyed watching Chandu instead of eating him. There isn't really much to say about the rest of our day, we used our Tower of Terror Fastpasses for 4:35pm - 5:35pm, and we had hoped to come off the ride and take sunset shots but we had missed most of it by the time we were done. While there isn't much left to say (there will be a few things), there is plenty left to show, so the next few posts will be very picture heavy!

Last edited:
Life Update

Hello my Disney friends :) I just wanted to post a quick life update as a brief explanation of why there has been a long delay between posts. I actually suffered a miscarriage and found out in mid-April I had. It took a while for the actual bleeding to start and when it did I ended up in hospital, lost nearly 2L of blood, and as a result felt very awful for a while afterwards. In addition, when I finally was back on my feet and got to back to work I was so busy trying to catch up that I wasn't able to stop for lunch breaks (and write report updates in them) and was too exhausted when I got home. I just wanted you all to know that I'm back on board now, and I plan to make regular updates from now until I finish the report. I am doing well now, and and feeling a lot better, both emotionally and physically.

I really wanted to share this because I've been blown away by the support and love from people reading this report, and I don't want you guys to think I forgot about you or couldn't be bothered posting anymore. I really am excited to share the resort of our trip with you, now that I'm back to my normal self :) :)

It's a relief to hear that you're doing well now. That's such an awful thing to have to go through. If I didn't say it before: thank-you for sharing such an amazing trip with us. Whatever pace you are able to update at is plenty fast enough.

Day 23 - Part 8 - Enjoying the Seas

We made our way towards the Tower of Terror slowly, still having some time to kill before our passes were ready at 4:35pm.

Tokyo Disney Sea really uses water to create a peaceful and effective environment better than any other theme park I know. The water is almost like a path through the park, creating barriers between lands and making it seem as though you were really moving from country to country 'over seas'. It really creates an incredible barrier to the themeing in most areas. The exception to this rule is Mediterranean Harbour into American Waterfront, and Mysterious Island to all other connecting lands - though this area doesn't need the water to create barriers between themes, because it is so closed off from every other area of the park. Actually, having such an enclosed hub works to Tokyo Disney Seas favour I think, as each land is 'revealed' as such and the themes of each area are not inter-meshed with the hub area. Lastly, Mt Promethus, which forms a backdrop to Mysterious Island, Mediterranean Harbour, Mermaid Lagoon, Cape Cod in American Waterfront and Port Discovery, is extremely versatile, and seems like it fits everywhere (unlike when you see the castle from Adventureland at Disneyland). Anyway, just more verbal gushes from me about why I love Tokyo Disney Sea so much!

Here's an example of Mt Promethus' chameleon nature, here it is blending to the backside of Mermaid Lagoon.

Beautiful golden light had hit the Mircosta by this point (Golden Hour had arrived) and the views from the entrance to Fortress Explorations were stunning.

This main lagoon area has the most inter-meshing of themeing anywhere in the park, but because the areas are broken by water it feel like a new country (or world) drawing you in.

As you can see, the sun was quite low by this point in the day.

We chased the American Waterfront Street cars into the area on our way to the Tower.

Last edited:
Day 23 - Part 9 - Towers and Sunsets

We used our Tower of Terror Fastpasses, and for the first time on our trip we were told off for using our camera inside the pre-show room (it hadn't been an issue the time before)! We managed one shot before we were told, but check out the CM's face in this picture (it was right before she waggled her finger at us accusingly).

After escaping the Tower Jared had to use the bathroom, so I took plenty of photos of it.

As I said, by the time we were done with the tower the sun had pretty much already set, and we missed any really good sunset. We did get a few pictures though, running from Mediterranean Harbour through to Mermaid Lagoon and onto Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta where there was still a bit of light.

This was the prettiest sky we found that night

Blue hour was pretty much already underway by this point...

But back in Lost River Delta there was one last bit of colour in the sky...

...and then it was gone.

Stayed tuned for the next instalment where we run around trying to get all the night photos we want in one night (since we bailed on the park the night before!).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter