An Epcot girl at Polynesian

DaniLovesDisney

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We just booked our next Disney trip for our new favorite month to travel -- January. We love getting away from the cold northeastern weather during the winter months! We've traditionally been Epcot resort people -- we love being able to walk right into the World Showcase and over to Hollywood Studios without having to deal with transportation. We've decided to try the Polynesian next trip and I'm already second guessing our choice! I've always wanted to try Poly after hearing so many people rave about it, but every time I visit, it seems so dark and dated to me. Also, have any of you stayed during the winter months? Does the theme seem 'off' if the weather isn't hot and tropical?

Help me decide! To stay at Poly, or to go back to my comfort zone (Yacht/Beach Club) :) Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about splitting your stay between two resorts?

We are also an EPCOT family

We did contemplate a split stay, but it seems like a lot of work for a 7 day vacation. We have two small children, so it would involve a lot of packing and unpacking. I know a lot of people don't mind it, but I just don't think it's worth it for us.

If we were staying for 10 days -- totally. Wait...we may be on to something here... :)

If it already seems dark and dated to you when you visit, you already miss the ease of walking to Epcot, then why are you staying at Polynesian? Seems like setting yourself up to fail.

For the record, we always stay at either Beach/Yacht Club. Staying at Polynesian next trip. Walk to TTC and hop on monorail.

We did contemplate a split stay, but it seems like a lot of work for a 7 day vacation. We have two small children, so it would involve a lot of packing and unpacking. I know a lot of people don't mind it, but I just don't think it's worth it for us.

If we were staying for 10 days -- totally. Wait...we may be on to something here... :)

We are also an EP resort family. We go about 3 to 4 times a year and we actually haven't stayed at an MK resort since 2015. I, too, find the EP resorts so convenient with small children (if MK isn't your primary park focus). My DS is 9 now and he absolutely loves going to the Boardwalk at night to play the games and see the entertainment. It's also so convenient, as you point out, to simply walk to EP and DHS. When he was younger, being able to put him in a stroller and simply walk to two parks and so many restaurants was so relaxing. After a while, I got tired of having to be on Disney transportation (including an unreliable monorail) all the time to go places.

You mention you have two small children. I would kind of lean toward going back to your old favorite. I don't find the Poly to be dark or dated. I really like the theming. I just don't like the pool set-up (there is no shade) and the restaurant options are slim to none (O'hana is impossible to get into, not a fan of Kona and the QS is incredibly crowded and chaotic). If MK and EP (Future World) will be a big focus on this trip, Poly could be convenient. But if you think you are going to tour they way you are used to and be in EP and DHS a lot, I would stick with the EP area resorts.

We will be pushing out of our comfort zone this August and staying at WL, but I'm only doing it because we will utilize uber to get everywhere except MK. And we've planned one night to go to the Boardwalk!

We are Epcot people, too! :) Though our "home" is the Boardwalk.

We are DVC and tried the Polynesian villas a couple of years ago for one night. We found low priced flights to get us in a day early, and since BLT where we were staying for the following 9 nights was booked, we took the opportunity to try the Poly. Like you said, everyone talks about it and we just really wanted to give it a try.

Things we liked: ease of using the Monorail to get to MK and the other resorts, and being able to walk to the TTC for the Epcot Monorail instead of having to switch lines or use a bus. The experience of trying something new was also fun. The views of the Seven Seas Lagoon and boats going by, and MK in the distance, was really something!

Things we didn't like: First: the pool!! Oh my goodness, so completely crowded it was virtually impossible for our family to find chairs together. The pool bar does not refill the resort refillable mugs. You have to go all the way into Captain Cook's to get refills. It was a really hot day and our kids wanted their cold drinks, and going all the way over there are waiting for the refill machines with the folks who were in there eating was just not convenient.

The overall feel of the resort was much busier than we like. It's a rather popular place for people to visit who aren't staying there, so we found the lounges, and particularly trying to watch the MK fireworks outside very congested. Roaming around there at night is definitely not like roaming around Crescent Lake in the evening, even with the busy-ness of the Boardwalk at night!

I don't want to discourage you from trying it, because I am very glad we did. Of course, it was for only one night. :) Would I stay there again? Yes. Is it near the top of my list? No.

We have done split stays many times, and they can be a bit of a pain, but they're a fun way to try new resorts without having to spend a whole trip there when you're not sure.

Good luck!

Hi all! We just booked our next Disney trip for our new favorite month to travel -- January. We love getting away from the cold northeastern weather during the winter months! We've traditionally been Epcot resort people -- we love being able to walk right into the World Showcase and over to Hollywood Studios without having to deal with transportation. We've decided to try the Polynesian next trip and I'm already second guessing our choice! I've always wanted to try Poly after hearing so many people rave about it, but every time I visit, it seems so dark and dated to me. Also, have any of you stayed during the winter months? Does the theme seem 'off' if the weather isn't hot and tropical?

Help me decide! To stay at Poly, or to go back to my comfort zone (Yacht/Beach Club) :) Thanks in advance!

I'm also curious to know why you decided to stay at Poly this time if you don't like the decor. You should stay where you're comfortable but if you never try another resort you'll never know what you're missing.

I think six nights are enough for a split stay. You could try 2 nights at Poly and then 4 nights at an Epcot resort if you absolutely hate it (I don't think you'll hate it).

With small children I don't see how any MK resort wouldn't work out.

I do understand what you mean about theming and seasons. I wouldn't stay at Wilderness Lodge in the summer but of course I would head over there for Christmas or New Year's Eve. I also don't see Poly as a fall or winter resort.

sorry wrong month. Did a long post about a December stay!! :crutches:

:rotfl:

The vibe at the Poly is awesome. It's hard not to get into it from the minute you walk in. I think the fact its a short walk to the TTC and the fact the Epcot Monorail is almost always empty make getting there super easy.
I'm not going to list all the reasons I love staying but it's hard to beat the fireworks from the beach (or room if you have the view), dole whips and you have to give Trader Sam's a try if you haven't! It's a great experience!

I would give Poly a try. I know it isn't winter like you are talking about but we stayed there for the first time in Dec a few years ago and loved it! The kids would probably like the electrical water pageant and the torches lit up at night plus seeing the fireworks. And it is a short walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. Also you can take a boat to MK or the monorail right in front of the GCH.

I so appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I might look back into a split stay, as some of you suggested. Either way, it seems like you can't go wrong with the Poly.

We love getting away from the cold northeastern weather during the winter months!

Does the theme seem 'off' if the weather isn't hot and tropical?

Not at all! In fact, in light of what you said about escaping the Northeast, it might be just right!

I've never stayed at the Poly, but we broke our POR streak a couple of years ago to stay at CBR in the middle of a particularly bad winter. Having a theme totally opposite from how things were at home was perfect!

I think that if you go into it with a positive attitude (not saying that you aren't doing this), I think it will still be a blast. BC,YC, and BW are great for proximity to both Epcot and DHS and their themes are definitely great, but Poly isn't without its charm. I don't see it so much as dark than as relaxing. It's also convenient. You are two stops away from Magic Kingdom (stop at Grand Floridian first and then MK) and a short walk to the TTC where you can hop on the Epcot monorail. And, if I'm being honest, I absolutely love the Epcot monorail. There's something so great about riding around Epcot before getting off to help you get excited for the day ahead of you. And don't forget the Electric Water Pageant! It's so nice to stroll down to the beach to watch that. And you can have a theme park view and watch the fireworks or just go down to the beach and watch them from there. So, sure, the Epcot resorts are great, but Poly is also darn good and has its own charm and pull factors.

We stayed at the Poly last January and we absolutely loved it. It has become our favorite resort. We love being on the MK monorail loop(we own DVC at VGF actually) and loved being near the EPCOT monorail. As a previous poster said, there is something special about being able to drive through EPCOT on the monorail before entering the park. We also love Capt. Cooks and the fact that you can order 'Ohana food through the room service.

Oh no! You should have posted anyway -- at the rate we visit, there's bound to be a time when we stay during December! :rotfl2:

:goodvibes Long story short, Polynesian Village in December feels like what it might be like to celebrate Christmas in Hawaii. Lots of guests in Christmas themed Hawaiian attire, all of the usual island themed music they play at the resort and live in Ohana is changed to Christmas island themed music and all the decorations are Polynesian tropical themed as well. Whew! That was easy! :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Long story short, Polynesian Village in December feels like what it might be like to celebrate Christmas in Hawaii. Lots of guests in Christmas themed Hawaiian attire, all of the usual island themed music they play at the resort and live in Ohana is changed to Christmas island themed music and all the decorations are Polynesian tropical themed as well. Whew! That was easy! :thumbsup2
That sounds awesome! Maybe I should bump our trip up a month! :)

If the Poly has been on your list, I think you should give it a try. It is a beautiful resort with a relaxing tropical atmosphere and great views. As others have stated, it's just 2 monorail stops from MK and is a quick 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. It's also convenient to the GF and CR for a variety of great dining options ;).

The vibe at the Poly is awesome. It's hard not to get into it from the minute you walk in. I think the fact its a short walk to the TTC and the fact the Epcot Monorail is almost always empty make getting there super easy.
I'm not going to list all the reasons I love staying but it's hard to beat the fireworks from the beach (or room if you have the view), dole whips and you have to give Trader Sam's a try if you haven't! It's a great experience!

I agree! :thumbsup2

This is going to be my family in January too! My kids really want to try out the Poly and it is one of the few resorts we have not stayed at. The main reason we haven't been here before was the price. I couldn't justify the extra cost without any additional amenities. We actually cut out our usual Fall trip in order to make this trip a possibility. What we do really like about this resort are the food options here. We especially like hanging out at the bar in the afternoon before Ohana gets crazy and having a nice snack & drink (the bar tender told us to go get the nachos downstairs and to bring them up. He said it's the same thing for less money). We also enjoy breakfast and lunch at Kona Café. We like to have drinks outside at Trader Sam's. I think the gift shop has some great finds - things you can't get anywhere else that were different and didn't scream Disney souvenir. Last year my husband and I were just standing in the lobby and a really nice guy gave us a bottle of champagne! He had gotten married and was checking out and couldn't take it with him on the plane.

My kids are looking forward to the pool and they love to hop on the monorail and go check out other resorts. I also think staying here will make it easier to pop in and out of Magic Kingdom, which is something we don't normally do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter