an RV question...with pets

mtnminnie

Mouseketeer
While camping this past weekend, I noticed that there were a few hybrid rv's with what I would call "pop out windows" on each end.

so, it is not a pop up trailer, it is a regular looking rv but as the pop out screened windows.
I am guessing for sleeping areas.
I am wondering if you would be allowed to have pets in these?

We were at a state campground where the rules are much looser, so I was curious if it would be considered ok at some of the more "campgrounds with rules and you must follow them" places?... if you had any experience in this area..thanks =)

Thank you...I was afraid of that sadly. I thought it was so cool looking and I loved the idea. But, with pets, it would be a waste of money if one could not use it and you had pets.

total bummer =(.

I've seen pets in hybrids at Disney. The thing about pets in tents and pop ups is that most don't have air. Has nothing to do with the canvas.

oh interesting. thanks. I was also thinking that if you left and you did not pop out the window things, then technically one would be following the rules.

I've seen pets in hybrids at Disney. The thing about pets in tents and pop ups is that most don't have air. Has nothing to do with the canvas.
According to the CM I spoke to last November who was waiting on a family to return in the 1400 loop so they could reclaim their dog (really friendly beagle) who clawed his way out of the pop-up it does relate to canvas and the ease of escape and lack of sound dampening.

Now that was coming directly from a CM at the Fort, not a bus driver.

I don't have dogs, so I can't speak too much of those type of rules as I don't have reason to pay attention. Also, I don't have a hybrid, so not sure about how much involved with folding up the bed ends. In any case, Disney and it's rules aside, I see lots (and I mean LOTS) of dogs in pop ups and hybrids in our local campgrounds around CT. I would think that common sense about temps during your stay and knowing your furry friend (as far as how he/she behaves when left alone) would play a large part in determining your ability to make a hybrid work. And, as I have not seen a hybrid without air conditioning, I would think that (so long as it's not to big a deal--which I pointed out I cannot speak to) you could indeed close up the bunk ends when leaving so as to keep the cool and noise inside. Anyway...just some thoughts of a non-dog/non-hybrid owner...lol...which makes them not to much to think on I guess...

We had a hybrid for years and it had air and our dog was with us. It really depends on how well behaved your dog is when you're gone for an extended time. Also if your dog is a barker the canvas is not at all soundproof.

If by a canvas end camper, you mean this
rent%20RV%20hybrid%20camper.jpg

They do call those a hybrid. My first trailer was one very much like the picture. The ends close up very easily (less than 5 minutes on mine) so they look like this.

match-jay-feather-300.jpg

I never brought my cats with me (not so much into owning a dog. I like them, but don't like the dependency part), but the A/C in mine worked quite well. With it closed up, it was just like a hard sided TT as far as noise control and ability to claw your way out. Closing it up whenever you leave would be a pain, but I would think it would meet the rule at the Fort.

j

Also, newer hydrids are sealed bunk ends, and not like pop ups. And like you said it was a pop up, not a hybrid. No where does it say that pets cannot be kept in hybrid campers

I am not an rv person at all...I am not sure I have ever even been in one....but, the hybrid has peeked my interest. Having said this, if you don't mind...would you please explain "sealed bunk ends"..b/c it rather looks like a pop up to me on the end...but, like I said, I am not really sure what I am talking about anyway. Thanks.

On a lot of pop ups new and old, the ends aren't completely sealed, meaning the bottoms are velcroed or bungeed to the underside and like tiggerdad said, an animal can get out. The newer ones are a little harder, but with enough effort....
The newer hybrids are "sealed" meaning that the tent end bottoms are permanently attached to the bed. Hope that makes sense, its kind of hard to explain if you aren't familiar.

I had a pop up and now have a 3 bed hybrid. The biggest plus is that you have more floor space than a regular trailer because the beds are basically on the outside of the trailer. The biggest problem with them is that if the tent ends get wet and you have to pack up, you have to open them back up when you get home to dry out so mold and mildew don't grow.

I would think that common sense about temps during your stay and knowing your furry friend (as far as how he/she behaves when left alone) would play a large part in determining your ability to make a hybrid work.
That is my thought too. If you have a little fury friend who perhaps is much older and is quiet, and is good while being left alone, then it may not be an issue. As opposed to a young, yappy dog who is always into "Things" while you are away (or even if you are there) you might not want to consider this as an option.

We have a Yellow Lab (120+ pounds) who, while not that old (only 7), but unfortunately he has RA. So he has the desire to be energetic (At least when we are around) but his body won't let him. Even without the RA, he would fuss as soon as we leave but within minutes of us leaving... he is a bum and would take up residence on the couch. I wouldn't worry about him escaping a Hybrid (or even a popup) now or even before the RA. (although ours is a TT with no canvas). However this is not the case with all dogs. Ours is used to being home alone for upwards of 8 hours (and has done well alone for 12 hours in the past but we don't like to do that...).

Our concern with the camping is more the temperature then the escaping.... As you pointed out though.... common sense and knowing your pet can go a long way lacking a firm written rule.

We always put ours in a cage inside the camper if we couldn't bring her with us. One dog we had would just sit by the window looking for us the whole time without making a single noise.

On a lot of pop ups new and old, the ends aren't completely sealed, meaning the bottoms are velcroed or bungeed to the underside and like tiggerdad said, an animal can get out. The newer ones are a little harder, but with enough effort....
The newer hybrids are "sealed" meaning that the tent end bottoms are permanently attached to the bed. Hope that makes sense, its kind of hard to explain if you aren't familiar.

I had a pop up and now have a 3 bed hybrid. The biggest plus is that you have more floor space than a regular trailer because the beds are basically on the outside of the trailer. The biggest problem with them is that if the tent ends get wet and you have to pack up, you have to open them back up when you get home to dry out so mold and mildew don't grow.

A well-stated explanation, and an accurate one. We started with a hybrid and ended up going away from it for a few reasons (wet ends, noise, ease of getting out of bed, etc...), but it does have some definite advantages. We did travel with our dog in it - but not to the Fort. I would suggest that, unlike pop-ups (where only some have A/C), most all hybrids have both A/C and heat. You do need to do some work to get the cooling into the bunk areas, but it does have temperature controls - so we never worried about having our dog with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!