Animal Kingdom Lodge vs Bay Lake Tower

MK ismylaughingplace

Earning My Ears
We're planning on a trip to Disney World in September 2020. We will have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. Considering staying at BLT solely because it's close to MK and we can walk there. However, we're also considering an AK which has a better atmosphere, dining options, and pool. Trying to decide if walking to MK makes BLT worth it over AKL, other insights would be helpful.

If you are going to be doing an MK heavy trip than staying at BLT may be worth it. I know for myself 2 times to MK is enough, so a monorail resort is not worth it to me.

Also keep in mind that BLT does not have nice pools, it will be hot hot hot when you go. AKL has a pool at Jambo and Kidani, also Kidani has a water/splash park area!

The bus rides to the other parks from AKL are not bad, people exaggerate. They don't share buses with anyone else, which is nice!

The food is amazing and it's nice to come back from the hustle and bustle to a calmer resort, BLT will be louder and busier.

For me, AKL hands down! Unless you will be doing MK ALOT!

Happy planning!

With 2 small kids, it really is up to what you want. The BLT rooms are smaller. If you are doing a pack an play for the 1 year old and using the sofa bed for the 4 year old it is going to be pretty tight. I don't love the pool there, especially for young kids. Too much concrete and metal. But, you can walk to MK.

AKL is more geared to younger kids. The pool and activities are great, and the splash pad at KIdani is the best on property with the exception of BC/YC. The pools have a more tropical feel with more shade. The enrichment activities at AKL were some of DD's favorite memories from her younger years at Disney.

I've stayed in both and there is literally no comparison. AKL is magical with so much to see. Try to get a savannah view room so you can wake up and watch the animals off your porch. Participating in drum lessons is also fun and watching the man carve the walking sticks is amazing. There is just so much to see and do there. The food is great at Sanaa and Boma (I prefer breakfast) and the pools are great.

Bay Lake, to me, felt like a regular hotel. Sure, it's close to MK, but to be honest, I'm so exhausted after walking the park the last thing I want to do is walk...anywhere. Give me a taxi, minnie van, or bus. AKL is really big so you can ask for a room close to the lobby or buses to cut down. If you do stay there, keep in mind there is Jambo house and Kidani. Two separate areas though side by side. Their lobbies are vastly different and for a first time, I would suggest the main lodge (Jambo house).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!