• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another California Grill and Wishes ??

Melodious

DIS Veteran
My mom and I are going to WDW Nov 11-23 and would like to eat at California Grill and see Wishes. I know, I know, so does everyone else:goodvibes. I have heard that getting a window table is hit or miss, but in order to have the best chance at getting one, I have some questions. First of all, how crowded is that time period likely to be/how difficult will it be to get into California Grill? How difficult will it be to get the reservation at the beginning of our trip?

If it's Holiday Wishes which starts at 9:30, would getting an earlier reservation, say 7:30pm make it more likely that we can wait for a window seat? I know that people who are already seated at the windows probably won't be getting up before Wishes, right? Or at that time of year, we can make 8-8:30 reservations and still ask for and get a window seat? We're also planning to get a cake there so we'll be lingering if we have to get an earlier seating.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry about the oft-asked question

Ca Grill is packed at fireworks time. Packed and noisy. It does not provide the nicest of dining experiences. The closer to fireworks, the more the seating backs up as people are not leaving their tables, even if their meals are finished, if fireworks are going to start in 30 minutes or so. We went in January, the slowest time at WDW, and waited 50 minutes past our ADR just to be seated.

If you want a window seat, I would suggest making ADR 90 minutes prior to the show. If you want that time slot, you need to make that ADR early in advance as those time slots go quickly.

Not all window seats provide a great view of the show. You will not know ahead of time if getting that window seat will provide a good view. Except for one visit (we've dined here 7 times I think), we have went outside on the platforms rather than trying to watch from our table.

Thanks. So if we make the ADR for ninety minutes prior to the start of Wishes then we should be able to wait for a window seat? It doesn't have to be a view of the fireworks window seat, since we will want to go on the observation deck, I'd just like to look out the window during the meal. Anyone else have any thoughts on getting that seat by the window?

If you are going to request to wait for a window table, then I would probably make the reservation for 7:30-7:45. There are a lot of tables for small parties against the windows so hopefully you won't have too long of a wait to be seated.

If you are going to request to wait for a window table, then I would probably make the reservation for 7:30-7:45. There are a lot of tables for small parties against the windows so hopefully you won't have too long of a wait to be seated.

Thanks for the advice. We don't want to go too early and just take up their tables but we don't want to go so late that no one will give up their window seat either. Thanks again :hug:

I didn't find it a necessity to have a window table, because I noticed that when the fireworks started, everyone left their table and went to the viewing area...It really was awesome!!!!!Fabulous!Such a beautiful view!!!!!!:cool1:

Their menu seemed to have changed from when we did it 2 yrs ago...
We are going to pass this year and again try Yachtsman! We loved that place!:goodvibes

Thanks for the opinions, I just really want to try that sushi whereas my mom doesn't eat sushi. And I know that we may not be able to see the fireworks from the window and we are planning to go out on the viewing deck, but I would still just like to sit at the window. So we should try for an ADR two hours before the fireworks begin? Thanks again

Have an AWESOME TIME!

I HAVE SUCH GREAT MEMORIES OF CALIFORNIA GRILLE!!!:wizard:

BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

It is busy, but not packed! We go outside and watch Wishes. We suprised our DD last year with it, she just cried she loved it so much. We are doing it again this year!!! LOVE IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter