Another infant question

ilovebassets

Animal Kingdom fanatic!
We are planning a family trip in mid to late July and will be staying at Fort Wilderness cabins for eight nights. My older kids will be nearly 6 and 8 (so we are limited by the school calendar...taking them out of school is not an option). We will have a 6 month old with us. We are very familiar with WDW and FW, and we live in Atlanta, so we understand summer heat (I even lived in FL for a few years before kids). And this is our third kid, so not new parents either. Still, a six month old in July does worry me somewhat.

We typically rope drop and OR go in the early evening, and we usually do table service lunches in the parks. I'm guessing we will be making earlier exits than usual from the parks after lunch or at least by early afternoon. We will have 4 day park hoppers with the water park option. I'm thinking no more than 4 park days with the other days being water park days. I plan to hang out with the baby at the water parks and splash around/nap while my husband takes the big boys (and they are really tall for their ages thankfully) around the water parks. Fort Wilderness itself is a major draw for us (that's why the big boys are dying to go back), and we will spend a significant amount of time hanging out there.

Assuming everything goes well, I will be exclusively breastfeeding at this time as I did with my others. I love my ergo baby carrier but do worry about it being hot and have never used any other kind of carrier.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions? Are we crazy? I took my oldest for the first time at 5 months, but it was February. I took my younger one for the first time at 13 months, but it was early October. Both trips were just fine. We've been as late as early June and as early as mid September--weather completely tolerable for us both of this times. But still, late July is still late July.

Edited to say we will have our own car with us and will be renting golf cart at the fort.

our daughter found it too hot to baby wear in August. not just her but also for baby. 4 month old baby loved the off site double stroller rental that she shared with big sister

We are planning a family trip in mid to late July and will be staying at Fort Wilderness cabins for eight nights. My older kids will be nearly 6 and 8 (so we are limited by the school calendar...taking them out of school is not an option). We will have a 6 month old with us. We are very familiar with WDW and FW, and we live in Atlanta, so we understand summer heat (I even lived in FL for a few years before kids). And this is our third kid, so not new parents either. Still, a six month old in July does worry me somewhat.

We typically rope drop and OR go in the early evening, and we usually do table service lunches in the parks. I'm guessing we will be making earlier exits than usual from the parks after lunch or at least by early afternoon. We will have 4 day park hoppers with the water park option. I'm thinking no more than 4 park days with the other days being water park days. I plan to hang out with the baby at the water parks and splash around/nap while my husband takes the big boys (and they are really tall for their ages thankfully) around the water parks. Fort Wilderness itself is a major draw for us (that's why the big boys are dying to go back), and we will spend a significant amount of time hanging out there.

Assuming everything goes well, I will be exclusively breastfeeding at this time as I did with my others. I love my ergo baby carrier but do worry about it being hot and have never used any other kind of carrier.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions? Are we crazy? I took my oldest for the first time at 5 months, but it was February. I took my younger one for the first time at 13 months, but it was early October. Both trips were just fine. We've been as late as early June and as early as mid September--weather completely tolerable for us both of this times. But still, late July is still late July.

Edited to say we will have our own car with us and will be renting golf cart at the fort.

You might be able to find an inexpensive wrap/carrier to get you through the trip. I envy everyone who uses their ergo, mine collected dust (and god knows what else) in the back seat of my car. I never used it enough to actually learn how to put the darn thing on and load a kid in from the car seat.

I would not worry too much. Disney has air-conditioned baby care centres in every park where you can breast-feed and change baby while the older kids can watch TV. I often went there to breastfeed while my husband brought the oldest to ride an attraction. I brought my baby carrier but ended using the umbrella stroller the most. The baby carrier was good for the evening but too hot for daytime park touring. I had a high quality umbrella stroller that had a reclinable back rest. It was much lighter than a regular stroller and was a lot cooler for baby. I also used a sun cover to protect the baby and a clip-on fan to keep him cool. If you plan to take afternoon breaks and to get out of the heat for a while for a nice air-conditioned lunch, you should be fine. The baby slept most of the trip and we had a lot of fun. The important thing is to stay flexible and follow the baby's schedule.

Hope that helps

I've never travelled with any of my babies in the summer (we only go in winter), but I would not want to wear them in humid FL heat either!! If it were me I'd get a cooler carrier and start practicing now. I like my Calin Bleu wrap for summer, or a mesh sling or linen ring sling. There are lots of options, you can usually find them used and affordable on places like ebay or DiaperSwappers or TheBabyWearer.

I'm thinking it would be too hot to babywear. I would get a stroller with a nice protective shade an a stroller fan. I know that's not earth shattering advice and something you've already thought of.
I'm currently pg with surprise #3 and have a 10 year old DD and 8 yo DS. I'm sure this is going to change our Disney touring a lot!!

Definitely too hot to baby wear with an Ergo. I found it too hot in May to babywear with an Ergo. I loved the carrier, but it was just too hot. I also have three kids. With this last one, I also had a Baby K'Tan wrap. Something like that might work because it is lighter, but even that still might be too hot in July.

I took our sixth month old to Cedar Point in July last year ... kinda the same experience, but our hotel was within walking distance. I used the CP baby care area several times while my husband took our older daughter around. ... Then I also sacrificed my afternoons sitting in our room while the baby napped. He really needed to get out of the heat and get a good nap once a day. I was a little bummed to be left behind, but I was breastfeeding so it wasn't that simple to have my husband stay back. At least with the cabin you can sit in another room or on the deck?

I loved my Ergo but I think in July you both will be very hot trying to use it. I had no issues with breastfeeding in the parks. I personally would probably try to hold off for a fall trip, though. I just think that the heat would be tough with such a young baby.

Our son is 8 and daughter is now 2 but when she was 7 months old (June 2016) we did Disney. I was breastfeeding too. I had planned on my ergo and we had a double stroller too. It worked out fine. I found quiet places in the parks to feed her and used the baby centers for diaper changes.

We dressed her lightly, tried to keep her out of the sun and tried to be relaxed with touring.

I inserted a cooling gel pad into my Ergo and it worked like a charm. You insert it between you and baby so you stay cool, too. If it gets too cool just wrap it in a small cloth. I bought mine in Japan but here's a link to a similar product:

https://mountainbuggy.com/us/Buy/juno-carrier/gel-cooler-pack

You'll need at least two to cycle out through the door. While you wear one, stick the other in the diaper bag to cool off. You don't need to chill the pads between uses.

We went in September back when my second was 4 months. I used woven wraps and mei tais so a little cooler than a buckle carrier but there were times that she was more comfortable in the stroller. Used cooling towels and clip on fans for both (my son just turned 2) and took plenty of inside breaks with restaurants and rides.

You'll be fine. My sister and I both took a 3 month old and 4 month old the 3rd and 4th week of Aug. I also took my last dd at 7 weeks in Sept. Just be smart about keeping them out of Sun, cool, and hydrated. It'll be fine. Def. have a good full size stroller with good sunshade - no car seat part - it gets too hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!