Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

I'm back from one of the longest, most difficult weeks of my life, that of laying my MIL to rest. Thank you all for your condolences and kind words; it does help to have the support of my virtual friends at a time like this. We were in Ohio from 12/4-12/11, tending to all the business associated with the passing of a loved one (including transport from IN, where she died, to OH, where her home is located). The entire family was present for the long weekend, and I was in charge of lunch and dinner for ~40 people for four days. It kept me busy, and kept my mind off the situation. Things didn't always go smoothly, but there wasn't anything we couldn't work out. It was wonderful to have the entire family together, even though there will now always be one person missing from the table, but not from our hearts. We were lucky; we got permission from the city and the township to bury my MIL at home, so she now rests among the trees on her property, overlooking the house and gardens she so loved.

Now I am back for the last week of classes, and have 3 sets of lab reports to grade before 12/19 :eek: as well as a final to help give and grade. Oh yes, I suppose we need to think about making it look like Christmas, too. This weekend we'll put up the tree, decorate the house, and start :scared1: shopping. That's not really true; everything for DD and her fiance was purchased and wrapped before Thanksgiving, so they could take their stuff back to CT with them and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. I have a couple of things for DH, but there isn't much we really need. We will spend Christmas morning here at home, then leave around noon for southern ME, where my sister and brother (and their kids) live. My other sister and BIL, who live in New Orleans, are coming for Christmas! They haven't been home in 14 years!! On the 27th we'll all go to a hotel in Portsmouth NH, and my cousins from Mass will come up for 2 nights, and we'll have Cousins' Christmas. We spend the days doing things in small groups, but dinner and the evening are spent together, making merry and sharing. These are the cousins from my father's side of the family, with whom we lost contact in the mid-70s (my dad died in 1970 and my mom managed to drive them all away over the next 5 or so years). We thought they were lost to us, so it's especially wonderful that they are still there, and still love us. First cousins range in age from 81 to 52, second cousins range in age from 60 to 40, and then there's the "younger generation" from 18-30. Sometimes we are all there, sometimes it's a smaller group, but it's always a scene of merriment and love. I can't wait... I need it this year, more than ever. WE'll also have the opportunity during one of the days to go over to DD's wedding venue, to take measurements and start planning decorations!!:cloud9:

@leebee that's an awful lot to process:hug: Good luck with all that you have going on. Try to hang in there and don't sweat the details.

Thanks. Mostly I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster. Good thing semester break is right around the corner; although I still have to work, it's a completely different atmosphere than it is during the academic year, when classes are in session!

I'm back from one of the longest, most difficult weeks of my life, that of laying my MIL to rest. Thank you all for your condolences and kind words; it does help to have the support of my virtual friends at a time like this. We were in Ohio from 12/4-12/11, tending to all the business associated with the passing of a loved one (including transport from IN, where she died, to OH, where her home is located). The entire family was present for the long weekend, and I was in charge of lunch and dinner for ~40 people for four days. It kept me busy, and kept my mind off the situation. Things didn't always go smoothly, but there wasn't anything we couldn't work out. It was wonderful to have the entire family together, even though there will now always be one person missing from the table, but not from our hearts. We were lucky; we got permission from the city and the township to bury my MIL at home, so she now rests among the trees on her property, overlooking the house and gardens she so loved.

Now I am back for the last week of classes, and have 3 sets of lab reports to grade before 12/19 :eek: as well as a final to help give and grade. Oh yes, I suppose we need to think about making it look like Christmas, too. This weekend we'll put up the tree, decorate the house, and start :scared1: shopping. That's not really true; everything for DD and her fiance was purchased and wrapped before Thanksgiving, so they could take their stuff back to CT with them and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. I have a couple of things for DH, but there isn't much we really need. We will spend Christmas morning here at home, then leave around noon for southern ME, where my sister and brother (and their kids) live. My other sister and BIL, who live in New Orleans, are coming for Christmas! They haven't been home in 14 years!! On the 27th we'll all go to a hotel in Portsmouth NH, and my cousins from Mass will come up for 2 nights, and we'll have Cousins' Christmas. We spend the days doing things in small groups, but dinner and the evening are spent together, making merry and sharing. These are the cousins from my father's side of the family, with whom we lost contact in the mid-70s (my dad died in 1970 and my mom managed to drive them all away over the next 5 or so years). We thought they were lost to us, so it's especially wonderful that they are still there, and still love us. First cousins range in age from 81 to 52, second cousins range in age from 60 to 40, and then there's the "younger generation" from 18-30. Sometimes we are all there, sometimes it's a smaller group, but it's always a scene of merriment and love. I can't wait... I need it this year, more than ever. WE'll also have the opportunity during one of the days to go over to DD's wedding venue, to take measurements and start planning decorations!!:cloud9:

Bitter/Sweet events in your families lives. Praying there are more :cloud9: happenings coming your way. One day at a time leebee. :grouphug:

One of my Santas has 'Taken A Knee!'

View attachment 369943

Cute Santa decoration!

What a gift to be able to have your MIL buried at home. It sounds like a beautiful spot.

I cannot even imagine being in charge of meals for 40 people for 4 days. I'm exhausted for you.

How nice to have your sister and BIL home again for the first time in so long!

A cousins' Christmas makes me think of my family. It's so much fun to get together like that. I'm glad you'll get to do so, especially this year. It sounds like it will be a welcome distraction from loss.

NO SNOW NOW, BAH HUMBUG...

Here are a few Christmas past pictures of Eb.

View attachment 371390

View attachment 371391
AND LASTLY,

View attachment 371393

Great pictures, Jane!!

And a very Merry Christmas, Happy and Healthy New Year to all here on the ALDIO thread.

And Willy, wherever you are, God bless you, buddy. :hug:'s

I agree with Dan. The pics are great! The happiest of holidays to all - and especially to Willy, who brought us all together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter