Another Shooting, Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I really don't understand is why the guns were not confiscated and kept, why would they be given back to a family member?
Is that standard when someone commits? Was it because his crime wasn't a violent crime?
I don't know the standard procedure, did they follow it? If so that needs to change. If they didn't follow it then they should also be held accountable.

The fact that this young man was arrested by the Secret Service and had his guns taken away, then his did got them back he should have been on every single law enforcement radar. But the biggest issue in all of this was his dad enabled him and should pay a price just as heavy as he will pay.
I am angry that the murderer had exhibited other mentally ill behavior for YEARS, including paranoid delusions, but he didn't lose his guns until he tried to walk into the White House. Why was he allowed to have firearms all that time?

I wonder if Jeffrey Reinking may be off the hook for returning the guns to his murdering son since Illinois law says that someone can transfer a gun to someone without a valid firearm owner's card as long as it's a "bona fide gift" to a relative. That would be a real shame.

Last edited:
The fact that this young man was arrested by the Secret Service and had his guns taken away, then his did got them back he should have been on every single law enforcement radar. But the biggest issue in all of this was his dad enabled him and should pay a price just as heavy as he will pay.
Maybe he was on their "radar" but saying that the FBI wasn't doing their job when following up wasn't part of the procedure is unfair.

My frustration is with the families, friends that enable murder. Whether crazy people kill others by gun, bomb, poison, pressure cooker, etc our laws can not protect against everything. I think our last defense to protect ourselves from harm is when those who know a person is not right in the head and violent do something to stop them. And that is before someone is staring down a gun.

In this case, I absolutely think the guys father should be arrested and charged. He knew his son was crazy and he gave him guns. After federal and state authorities said he should not have them. They watched their son move away, to Denver and Nashville, with powerful weapons without notifying anyone. They enabled him to move into a situation with very little support to help his mental condition. It is like the old way of local authorities buying bus tickets for local problems to get them out of town. But in this case this guys parents gave him weapons, a truck and job in another city. Now he was someone else’s problem.

Disclaimer: this does not mean that I don’t believe attention to our weapon laws are needed but this forum is not the place to discuss that.

I am angry that the murderer had exhibited other mentally ill behavior for YEARS, including paranoid delusions, but he didn't lose his guns until he tried to walk into the White House. Why was he allowed to have firearms all that time?

I wonder if Jerry Reinking may be off the hook for returning the guns to his murdering son since Illinois law says that someone can transfer a gun to someone without a valid firearm owner's card as long as it's a "bona fide gift" to a relative. That would be a real shame.

Knowingly providing a firearm to someone who is prohibited from owning one is a violation of federal law.

The question is whether or not his right to own a firearm had been revoked at the federal level.

Knowingly providing a firearm to someone who is prohibited from owning one is a violation of federal law.

The question is whether or not his right to own a firearm had been revoked at the federal level.
I know I am posting out of anger but I have to wonder if this guy was given special treatment because wealthy get treated better. The photos of the family home make it look like they are at least very comfortable. Maybe the feds turned it over to the locals so they could handle it.

Not that it brings any of these lost souls back but I hope their families can sue the paints off of the person who handed the guns to this killer.

I wonder if Jerry Reinking may be off the hook for returning the guns to his murdering son since Illinois law says that someone can transfer a gun to someone without a valid firearm owner's card as long as it's a "bona fide gift" to a relative. That would be a real shame.
And there’s a law that needs to be changed.

I know I am posting out of anger but I have to wonder if this guy was given special treatment because wealthy get treated better. The photos of the family home make it look like they are at least very comfortable. Maybe the feds turned it over to the locals so they could handle it.

Not that it brings any of these lost souls back but I hope their families can sue the paints off of the person who handed the guns to this killer.
The locals did handle seizing the weapons. Like Gumbo says, we don't even know if his ability to own a gun was even revoked at a federal level or just at the local level.

In any case, I don't think that wealth had anything to do with how things were handled. They live in a town of about 16,000 and Jeff Reinking was probably a respected businessman who was trusted by the local authorities.

The locals did handle seizing the weapons. Like Gumbo says, we don't even know if his ability to own a gun was even revoked at a federal level or just at the local level.

In any case, I don't think that wealth had anything to do with how things were handled. They live in a town of about 16,000 and Jeff Reinking was probably a respected businessman who was trusted by the local authorities.
The locals may have seized the weapons but they gave them back to the dad. A lot of good that did. Anyway you look at it the dad looks like an enabler.

Wealth or respected businessman, I still suspect special treatment that might not be offered to everyone who trespasses at the White House, threatens people with an AR-15, exposes his genitals in public.

It is already against the law to transfer a weapon to someone that isn't allowed to own a weapon.
That might not be the case in every state. I am still trying to decipher what the Nashville police chief said but there was something about a difference between Illinois and Tennessee laws. And this morning I heard something about there being no restrictions here in Tennessee so it was OK for a mental ill person to walk around with an AR-15.

That might not be the case in every state. I am still trying to decipher what the Nashville police chief said but there was something about a difference between Illinois and Tennessee laws. And this morning I heard something about there being no restrictions here in Tennessee so it was OK for a mental ill person to walk around with an AR-15.
It is a federal law.

It is a federal law.
What's confusing to me is that I think that every state has different rules for eligibility to own a gun. In Illinois you need a valid firearms owner's identification card. That was revoked in Illinois after the murderer's attempt to walk into the White House, but had still been valid up until then. I've read that it's unclear if Tennessee law restricts gun ownership of people who are not allowed to own guns in other states. That may be what @asta is talking about.

What's confusing to me is that I think that every state has different rules for eligibility to own a gun. In Illinois you need a valid firearms owner's identification card. That was revoked in Illinois after the murderer's attempt to walk into the White House, but had still been valid up until then. I've read that it's unclear if Tennessee law restricts gun ownership of people who are not allowed to own guns in other states. That may be what @asta is talking about.
That might clarify what the police chief was talking about. I will be the first to admit that I don’t understand all of the differing laws.

As info, the police just finished a news conference. This guy had stolen a car last week and his lap top case was found yesterday at a nearby truck stop. They don’t know when it was left there. This opens up the possibility that he could be anywhere.

Ya know.......
There are already numerous laws against murder but since criminals tend to ignore the laws they don't care for we have murders and all manner of other crimes every day.
The objects used by those criminals are no more to blame than forks are for making people fat, matches and lighters are for arson, or cars are for making drunk drivers.
People are the problem.
The suspect in this case had numerous run ins with Law Enforcement and the Courts after exhibiting behavior that can only be described as insane and yet he was allowed to roam freely in Public.
That type of situation needs to be addressed first and foremost.

If people are the problem, why doesn’t every country have this problem, proportional to population?

I suspect there is another problem.

If people are the problem, why doesn’t every country have this problem, proportional to population?

I suspect there is another problem.
Every country has crime, murder, etc. People commit these crimes and murder, etc despite being against varying laws. That's what the other person was talking about.

I was watching a British docu-series on netflix. It was talking about how people go and steal copper out of the street lamps that illuminate the highways. We don't really have that as an issue here in terms of street lamps going out because copper is stolen out of it but it's a problem there.

Anyone who has had their 2nd Amendment rights stripped at the federal level is not permitted by law to purchase, own, or possess a firearm in any state. This includes anyone determined by a state judge (in any state) to be incompetent. Sadly, this info is not always reported to the FBI & BATF (as was the case with VA Tech), but that’s not really the point.

But, an IL Firearms license is just that - valid in IL. Having that revoked doesn’t necessarily mean his rights have been revoked nationwide.

I would assume his lack of an IL firearms owners permit carries zero weight in TN. And frankly, it shouldn’t unless the feds were to step in & ban him nationwide.

Every country has crime, murder, etc. People commit these crimes and murder, etc despite being against varying laws. That's what the other person was talking about.

I was watching a British docu-series on netflix. It was talking about how people go and steal copper out of the street lamps that illuminate the highways. We don't really have that as an issue here in terms of street lamps going out because copper is stolen out of it but it's a problem there.

Actually Detroit has had a problem with streetlamps being stolen and vandalized for scrap metal -- I'm not sure specifically copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!