Another U.S shipping rant

Could I use Planet Express if I wanted to sign up for a virtual runDisney event? Since they won't deliver medals to Canada
Absolutely. You can use Planet Express for any retailer or business that doesn't ship to Canada so for sure you could use it for RunDisney.

Another small update on Planet Express. Basically you can use me as a cautionary tale!! I was not able to consolidate my packages unless I upgraded my account to the $10 account. Theoretically this WILL save me money on shipping but still....I think in the end this is going to cost me as much as it would have to ship direct from ShopDisney (though I should still come out ahead as I'm going to choose to have my packages shipped via USPS vs UPS so I shouldn't have brokerage fees). Duty and taxes however are still TBD.

And if Shop Disney has sent my order as one then this would have been a flawless transaction! But NO, they sent it in three shipments. And I'm STILL waiting for the third shipment to arrive at Planet Express. Upgrading my account also means they hold my packages free of charge for 45 days vs 10 days with the free account. So once my third package arrives at Planet Express I will consolidate them all and I'll update again with the shipping charges from USPS.

*edited* the last part of my order is due to be delivered to Planet Express on Friday. So with any luck I can get that consolidated and sent off by Saturday(yes they are open on Saturdays) and will give the final shipping cost and estimated delivery time by the end of this week. Lordy, what a production :rotfl2:

Last edited:
That sucks. I have basically refused to look at any US shopping sites right now. Too depressing lol. Yesterday DH kept talking about this sale or that sale and I finally told him I didn't want to hear about it unless it was in Canada. Definitely not going near ShopDisney lol.

There are still Black friday deals in Canada and I am focused on those.

Another small update on Planet Express. Basically you can use me as a cautionary tale!! I was not able to consolidate my packages unless I upgraded my account to the $10 account. Theoretically this WILL save me money on shipping but still....I think in the end this is going to cost me as much as it would have to ship direct from ShopDisney (though I should still come out ahead as I'm going to choose to have my packages shipped via USPS vs UPS so I shouldn't have brokerage fees). Duty and taxes however are still TBD.

And if Shop Disney has sent my order as one then this would have been a flawless transaction! But NO, they sent it in three shipments. And I'm STILL waiting for the third shipment to arrive at Planet Express. Upgrading my account also means they hold my packages free of charge for 45 days vs 10 days with the free account. So once my third package arrives at Planet Express I will consolidate them all and I'll update again with the shipping charges from USPS.

*edited* the last part of my order is due to be delivered to Planet Express on Friday. So with any luck I can get that consolidated and sent off by Saturday(yes they are open on Saturdays) and will give the final shipping cost and estimated delivery time by the end of this week. Lordy, what a production :rotfl2:

ugh, i’m sorry it’s been such a process!

i really appreciate you reporting to us all though. and i hope that it ends up just being a wash rather than costing extra. i think it was a worthwhile risk, and it sucks that it won’t end up saving any $$

ugh, i’m sorry it’s been such a process!

i really appreciate you reporting to us all though. and i hope that it ends up just being a wash rather than costing extra. i think it was a worthwhile risk, and it sucks that it won’t end up saving any $$
I think had ShopDisney NOT split my order into three separate shipments this would have been a much easier process (and would have cost less). My third package arrived at Planet Express on Wednesday and I sent a consolidation request in about an hour before they closed that day so they are working on it now. Hopefully I'll get an email today or early next week that the consolidation has been done and I can get it shipped out! (I think they are also open on Saturdays so if I don't hear today maybe tomorrow I will)

So far this has been my cost:
-shipping from ShopDisney was free as my order was over $75US (I think final total before tax was $95 or so).
-premium acct with Planet express so I could use consolidation services $10US
-consolidation fee $5US plus $2 per package. (11$US total)

So so far I've spent $21US and my package has not shipped yet :( With any luck I'll still be eligible for the $21(ish) shipping using USPS which would put me over the $39.50US with ShopDisney had I shipped directly to Canada. BUT I think (I hope!) where I see the savings will be with customs/brokerage fees. Remember even if I shipped direct to home they still would have broken my package into 3 deliveries (I fear) so I'd be paying customs/brokerage on all three packages.

I'll update again once the consolidation is done and my package in enroute to me!

No sooner had I posted my last update than an email came from Planet Express saying my order had been consolidated.
So now it's in the mail out queue. Cheapest option? FedEx 4-7 business days, $37US with tracking and insurance.

OUCH.

So yeah now I'm in for a total of $50.31US. I don't know know whether to cry or throw up :( I just keep thinking ok if I had not consolidated my orders the shipping was looking like about $20US each, that included tracking but no insurance and would take 15-20 business days with USPS. So, I'm ahead there I suppose.

I'm also not fond of FedEx. Last time I ordered from Joffrey's FedEx delivered to my neighbours house TWO blocks away and by the time FedEx finally got back to me they LIED and said the driver had delivered it to my house and that I should call the shipper for a refund :headache: :headache: :headache: Hopefully that was a one off (my neighbour kindly delivered to my door step an hour after FedEx misdelivered it so yay for honest people!) The time before that my Joffrey's order came without issue.

So let's see (a) if FedEx delivers it properly this time and (b) if they charge me duty (I have not been charged duty or brokerage fees on any of my Joffrey's orders, but then again that was $50 worth of coffee so.....)

*edit to add* It's now ready for pick up by FedEx and according to the FedEx site I should have it Tuesday (I'm sure that date could change once it's actually picked up and in their system but I'm glad I didn't fork out another $9+US for priority shipping with FedEx as this service is fast enough for me).

Last edited:

Will you use Planet Express again, given your current experience?
I would if it was just one (small-ish) package being shipped to me. Having to consolidate multiple packages is where it all went south (money wise). As someone else asked, would they be good for shipping RunDisney medals and I think yes, I would absolutely use them for that. I think the only thing that I'm annoyed about from Planet Express is the extra fees from having to consolidate - $10 (monthly charge which I will not renew come Dec 23), $5 'handling fee' plus $2 per box to consolidate seems excessive to me. What does the $10 monthly charge get me? I hate hidden fees :headache: Although I should say the fault is also on me for not doing my due dilligence.

Received my ShopDisney order today from Planet Express via FedEx!! No duty (but in the past I have received an invoice from FedEx two or three weeks later so I'm not out of the woods on that, yet).
Very impressed with both Planet Express and FedEx (hey, they delivered to the right house this time!)
I paid for the cheaper option with FedEx (4-7 business days) vs the next one up which was nearly $10US more (3-5 business days) and I got my package in 2 business days! It even said 2 day delivery on the packing slip. Finally got my order :rotfl2:

I find that USPS is always the best way to go - if it's an option - to keep fees down / in many cases no duty.

I'm trying myus.com for an order but it's been over a week and shop disney has only shipped 1 of 6 items so far. Hopefully they meet their 1-2 week promise so that I can get everything before Christmas.

I have a quick question for all of you shipping experts. I ordered a swimsuit from California for my daughter(value $76.00 US). It was shipped UPS from California and it arrived today via Canada Post. It was placed in our mailbox and there was nothing attached indicating duty, tax or a brokerage fee. Will they bill me later or does this mean I lucked out and don't have to pay any additional fees?

I have a quick question for all of you shipping experts. I ordered a swimsuit from California for my daughter(value $76.00 US). It was shipped UPS from California and it arrived today via Canada Post. It was placed in our mailbox and there was nothing attached indicating duty, tax or a brokerage fee. Will they bill me later or does this mean I lucked out and don't have to pay any additional fees?
Are you sure it shipped UPS? I would think more likely USPS if it arrived via Canada Post. At any rate, if it arrived by Canada Post and they have not asked for more money, you're probably free and clear.

If it was placed in your community mailbox by Canada Post, then you most likely were already charged the duty/tax upfront when you placed the order. The tax may have been included in the selling price already, or there was a separate line for tax in your total. This tax amount is usually the import tax not the Cdn tax. I experience both of these scenarios when I order from Loft and Anthropologie in the US.

Thank you both for your replies. It was definitely UPS because I was tracking it on their website until it reached Canada and then 2 days ago it had a new tracking number listed on the side of the page that said alternate tracking. I randomly checked Canada Post using the alternate tracking number and it said out for delivery.

I don't think I was charged an import tax. The website said Canadians may be charged additional fees when the package arrives.

I guess I will just wait and see if I have any extra fees to pay. Thanks everyone!!!

Thank you both for your replies. It was definitely UPS because I was tracking it on their website until it reached Canada and then 2 days ago it had a new tracking number listed on the side of the page that said alternate tracking. I randomly checked Canada Post using the alternate tracking number and it said out for delivery.

I don't think I was charged an import tax. The website said Canadians may be charged additional fees when the package arrives.

I guess I will just wait and see if I have any extra fees to pay. Thanks everyone!!!

UPS and Fedex from outside Canada will sometimes transfer things to Canada Post once it hits Canada. I have had this happen more than once.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!