Another Washington D.C. Thread

Also, I didn't love the American History Museum or Natural History. Yes, they are free which is nice but there are so many other cool options if you have limited time.

I was really excited about seeing Ford's Theater, and I wasn't disappointed. We had a tour with a guide. It was great. The ticket price we paid also included the Petersen House across the street where Lincoln actually died.

There were several ticket types available when we were there. You may want to purchase tickets ahead of time for this. Also, the theatre does still do performances. Check ahead to see what dates/times may be affected.

Arlington National Cemetery is also a good place to visit, but there's a lot of walking.

Another really neat thing to see happens on Tuesday nights at the Iwo Jima Memorial. The Marine Corps does an amazing ceremony and concert that is free and open to the public. It is typically from 7-8pm and just amazing to see.

I have lived in Southern California and the Washington DC area. I know you guys have had a strange summer, but believe me the hummutity level is not the same. While most buildings have been retrofitted with ac not all have here. Come prepared and drink a ton of water/sport drinks and it's workable, but don't shrug it off. My kids were born here and they still struggle on the really warm days.

I like the zoo here, but IMHO it doesn't even come close to what you have access to at home. It is something I would normally suggest to a young family, but not yours.

My inlaws used to stay in the exact hotel when they would visit when we lived in Alexandria. You will want to have a car, but I would still learn about the transportation system and use both depending on that days activity. Don't be surprised to see parking fees of $12 for an hour or two and $30 for the day downtown.

Someone else mentioned it, but once you know your exact dates contact your congressional representatives and they can help setup several tours (not just the Capitol).

If you are set on the Holocaust museum make sure you know the dates you want to go will be released and grab a timed ticket online. The tour operators grab them early and its often hard to get ideal times.

The Dulles Air & Space is worth the trip if you want to make the time, but for all you want to do your schedule maybe a bit on the tight side. However, if the city is mobbed during the all star games it maybe a good escape.

I have a 3 and 1 year old and have found most places to be stroller friendly. . The only place on your list that may not have access for the stroller maybe Fords theatre basement and I'm not positive on that. With that said sometimes it's just easier to use the carrier and a backpack for the required items. The sidewalks are not always even and the stroller can be cumbersome in a crowded museum (and I have nice ones that are easy to push.)

I don't know if someone mentioned it, but there are a few museums with interactive kids section. American history added one last year with an area for kids 0-6 and another for 6-12. They are fairly well done. The building museum (there is a fee for this one) is fantastic for young kids.

I am sure your old sole will enjoy the history of the area, but I would still have a few ideas in my back pocket if you feel like they need to blow off some steam. Flight trampoline in Springfield is good. There is also a pirate cruise that leaves out of National harbor. Kids could have fun and the adults can be on the Potomac. There are a ton of options.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

We are going to DC next summer too so this thread helps me. We have teens so that helps with not restricting much.

We are actually making a trip in about three weeks. My kids are 8 and 10. I will have the boys myself during the day for three of the four trip days (minus two travel days) we are there, because DH is working at a conference. We don't ever come along on work trips, this is our first time and probably only as usually either I'm working, too, or kids are in school, and of course costs of travel.

I am planning to take them to mostly the free things, and we are planning to use public transportation (Metro and bus). My main plans are the Smithsonian museums and zoo, tidal basin for memorials, and Capitol. I submitted for the White House tour twice and never heard back from our Congress member, and simply am out of time now. The website said 21 days minimum before trip to submit, at this time since I've never heard back, I'm just moving forward. Thanks for the suggestion of the Ford's Theater. That sounds interesting to see. I was also reading about a self-guided bike tour, has anyone done that? Would it be good with kids, or too much foot traffic?

Lots of great information, everyone! Ford's Theatre and Mount Vernon are non - negotiable. My oldest son (8) is fascinated with both. Every other book he checks out at the library is about one or the other (Washington or Lincoln that is). The children's play areas at the museums sound wonderful especially for my younger son. I've been 3 times so while I haven't seen it all, I've seen the most and would be willing to take breaks with the baby and DS(7) when need be.

It sounds like we'll skip the zoo. We have great ones in our backyard so taking time out from other things that we couldn't normally see doesn't make sense.

I know everyone says that the museums and Mount Vernon are a full day thing. I think we'll play it by ear. I'm seeing 3-4 hours max per one unless the kids say otherwise. At least for me and the kids. I don't want to burn them out. This isn't a once in a lifetime. They will take this trip in a few years with their 8th grade class as well.

@ADS2508 lots of great inside/specific info relating to my situation about weather and having a baby. Ford's Theatre may be another location where baby carrier is necessary. I remember very tight quarters even after the refurbishment. I always have my refillable water bottle with me everywhere I go. We'll make sure to pack a few!

@jen7233 I'm sorry you didn't get the White House Tour! I think the Capitol Tour is better any how. You'll enjoy that one. Have a BLAST on your trip - come back with a report on how it went if you can!

The entire month of July has been high 90s, into the low 100s and lots of humidity here in So Cal. Humidity is something we're not used to but looks like we should start getting used to it.

Good point about taking the stroller in the house at Mt. Vernon. We'll be bringing our baby carrier along so I'll remember to have it with us there. Is the zoo a full day zoo like other big zoos (i.e. San Diego, L.A. Zoo)? I'd like to visit but not sure we'll have time.

Good to know about the metro. I looked into the boat from Alexandria to the Nat's ballpark and it's $100 (and actually, that's for regular games. Says they charge $30 PP on busy days)! :scared: Might be fun but not sure if it's worth the $100. The two times I've gone as an adult we rented a car and found it reasonably easy. I think we maybe spent $20 a day at most to park and just parked in a central location to the activities we were doing. I'll do some more research on the Metro though. But if we get a minivan or SUV that seats 7, it will probably by cheaper to park rather than do the metro for all 7 of us.

You are all convincing me to skip the Holocaust. I think what we may do is do it the day before the All-Star Game. My mom and I will head to the museum and the guys and kids can go hang out and enjoy the All-Star festivities.
You could certainly make a whole day of the zoo. It's kind of hilly so you'll want to take your time in the heat anyway. I forget where you said you're staying but Nats Park is near a metro, so you could do that from your hotel. National Harbor has water taxis from Alexandria if you want to take one just for fun...lots of stores and restaurants at the harbor. I love it there, it's about 20-25 min from my house.

Sorry, just read the response and some of my above message isn't relevant anymore :). I do know that the Mount Vernon house itself isn't air conditioned, although the visitors center is. Maybe early in the day is your best bet before it's too beastly.

Last edited:
I submitted for the White House tour twice and never heard back from our Congress member, and simply am out of time now. The website said 21 days minimum before trip to submit, at this time since I've never heard back, I'm just moving forward.

Please try giving your member's DC office a call before giving up. The people fielding those request are typically interns or junior level staff, and sometimes they forget to get in contact. They may also be waiting to see how many and what days they are going to be granted tickets for things. They often don't know until 1 or 2 weeks before hand. Summer is crazy as offices will have several interns that rotate in and out. It really is worth a quick call. Just mention you put in a request and hadn't heard anything and wanted to follow up. A polite phone call can really help.

We were there June 29th-July 2nd (Thursday-Sunday). Just to echo some of the thoughts already expressed here. Holocaust for those under 10 would be tough. Can't really comment on the heat as we are from the Deep South and heat and humidity are a way of life for us. We did not rent a car, stayed in Arlington, and used the Metro exclusively. We really enjoyed the Metro-very clean, modern, and easy to navigate once you get a grasp of the layout. This was the first vacation that we have not either driven or rented a car and we had no problems. We also are not used to public transportation as we live in a small town in Alabama. Our hotel was 1 mile from Reagan National and the Crystal City Metro station and the hotel provided a free shuttle every 20 minutes to both.

I also agree with taking some breaks during the day. Lots of walking no matter what you do. Here was our 4 day itinerary:

Thursday-Arrived in the a.m.-Holocaust Museum, Washington Monument, World War II Memorial (the best!), Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, National Mall. Spent the evening in.

Friday-First tour of the day at the White House, Capitol Tour, and Air and Space Museum-Spent the evening in again.

Saturday-American History Museum and attended the Celebrate Freedom Rally at the Kennedy Center where we got to see President Trump speak live.

Sunday-Arlington Cemetery-Flew home late in the afternoon.

We have a 12 year old daughter and we all three felt that we got to see and do a ton of things. You could easily spend a week (or more!) to see it all. We got to see everything we wanted and had some time to relax as well. Try We the Pizza and Good Stuff Eatery. Several locations of both around the city and suburbs. We had a great vacation!

This thread is a great resource for me! We've been saying we should go for over a year now, and I think we will make it happen next summer.

I'm glad you were convinced not to take the kids to the Holocaust museum. My youngest niece went when she was 10 or 11, and it was too soon. She was really upset and regretted it.

I love that your DS is into history, though! Mine is 16, and it's his favorite subject too.

If your kid is really into presidential history, you might want to visit Lincoln's Cottage: http://www.lincolncottage.org/
It is a little off the beaten path, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it. Lincoln used the cottage as a summer retreat during his presidency. They only recently restored it and built a visitor/education center there. Opened in 2008.

If your kid is really into presidential history, you might want to visit Lincoln's Cottage: http://www.lincolncottage.org/
It is a little off the beaten path, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it. Lincoln used the cottage as a summer retreat during his presidency. They only recently restored it and built a visitor/education center there. Opened in 2008.

Ooooh! That might be fun to pair with Ford's Theatre. Thanks!

I know everyone says that the museums and Mount Vernon are a full day thing. I think we'll play it by ear. I'm seeing 3-4 hours max per one unless the kids say otherwise. At least for me and the kids. I don't want to burn them out. This isn't a once in a lifetime. They will take this trip in a few years with their 8th grade class as well.
I have toured Mt Vernon several times and I am skeptical about allowing 3-4 hours. You start off with a movie. There is usually a line to get into the main house. There are many out buildings to look at-- and they are spread out. (You might even find Mrs Washington talking to her guests in one of them :) ). Did I mention there is a lot of walking!? (There is also quite a change in elevation if you walk down to the dock.)
Then, there is the museum which is air conditioned. It is very pleasant to visit after walking around Mt Vernon in the heat of the day. There are some really cool state of the art presentations which your children wouldn't want to miss.
Are you flying into/out of Dulles? If you are, and you are planning a trip to the Udvar-Hazi
Museum... it might make sense to visit this museum on your day of departure if you could get a late afternoon/early evening flight home. (Or, visit on your day of arrival if you aren't too exhausted from your red eye flight)

I have toured Mt Vernon several times and I am skeptical about allowing 3-4 hours. You start off with a movie. There is usually a line to get into the main house. There are many out buildings to look at-- and they are spread out. (You might even find Mrs Washington talking to her guests in one of them :) ). Did I mention there is a lot of walking!? (There is also quite a change in elevation if you walk down to the dock.)
Then, there is the museum which is air conditioned. It is very pleasant to visit after walking around Mt Vernon in the heat of the day. There are some really cool state of the art presentations which your children wouldn't want to miss.
Are you flying into/out of Dulles? If you are, and you are planning a trip to the Udvar-Hazi
Museum... it might make sense to visit this museum on your day of departure if you could get a late afternoon/early evening flight home. (Or, visit on your day of arrival if you aren't too exhausted from your red eye flight)

I've been 3 times myself. When it was with teenagers (me being one) I think we were there maybe 5 hours. When with just my husband, about 4 1/2 hours. With my older grandma and great aunt (in their mid -70s) about 3 1/2 hours. I would imagine the kids' stamina would be similar to that of the older ladies :laughing: Who knows? But we'll see. Like mentioned in a previous post, this isn't a once in a lifetime trip. We'll make at least another as a family when DD is old enough and kids will do it for 8th grade trip. If we can get 4 1/2 hours out of the kids I'll take it! And possibly head back to the hotel for some down time before maybe heading into the city. And talking to Mrs. Washington was the absolute HIGHLIGHT of my trip when I went with my husband. I was so disappointed when she wasn't there when I took my grandma and great aunt. Fingers crossed she's there this time!

I have absolutely no clue which airport we're flying into. LAX pretty much offers red eyes to all of the DC area airports so whichever is cheapest :o I doubt, though, that we'll be up for an adventure after a red eye. With just my husband and I, sure. But kids will probably need breakfast and a nap :faint:

Thank you for the information!

The Holocaust museum has an exhibit specially designed for children eight and older: Remember the children: Daniel's Story. https://www.ushmm.org/information/exhibitions/museum-exhibitions/remember-the-children-daniels-story It will take less than an hour to walk through. No ticket is required, so you can bypass the long lines waiting to get tickets. It's a good introduction to the museum and the topic of the Holocaust, especially for people who are apprehensive about their response to the topic.

I recommend getting to Mount Vernon when they open, since when you buy your ticket you are given a timed pass into the mansion. It's a lot easier to manage your visit if you have a tour time within an hour or so of your arrival. There's plenty of time to walk around the grounds after your mansion tour. My usual itinerary is to wlk around the upper gardens and outbuilding until it's time to tour the mansion, walk down the steps to the colonial farming area, and then walk back up through the woods to the museum. That puts you going through the shade trees and into the air conditioned museum later in the day.

And to help deal with the heat - I ALWAYS carry a folding fan in my day bag.

You can Metro around with a stroller but do be aware that sometimes the escalators/elevators break down and then you'd have to walk it up/down. It has also not been the most reliable lately. I would avoid rush hours on the Metro because we locals can get rude running up and down the escalators! Even if the signs don't say so, stand on the right with your stroller so the locals can zoom by on the left. And it's not cheap any more...can be over $5 a ride per person.

Maybe use the Circulator Bus around the Mall (Smithsonian Museums, Capitol, and other things can be accessed for $1 a ride). I've seen people get on the Mall route and ride the whole way around just to see everything like a HoHo Bus without commentary. Google DC Circulator and look at the Mall route. The buses are red and run about 10 minutes apart. You can see the monuments and memorials.

Note that the museums, Capitol, White House, etc have bag checks and security screening like at the airport so build in some time for that. I've seen crazy lines this summer.

Ford's Theatre is historic sure but not much to see. Zoo...meh. How about National Archives? The Library of Congress architecture inside is incredible and it's connected to the Capitol via an underground tunnel.

DC is like Disney...too many "parks" to do in one trip! And it's not the heat...it's the humidity...

The National Museum of the American Indian is a VERY underrated and often overlooked Smithsonian museum. It also has by far the best and most interesting food court of all the Smithsonians.

The National Archives is also not to be missed. You can get timed tickets for this in advance or line up day-of.

The National Museum of the American Indian is a VERY underrated and often overlooked Smithsonian museum. It also has by far the best and most interesting food court of all the Smithsonians.

The National Archives is also not to be missed. You can get timed tickets for this in advance or line up day-of.
Yes, that museum is awesome and the food court is adventurous. A couple years ago my birthday was on a weekend and we'd never been to the National Archives so we went. I found it very interesting. The kids, who were then still older than OP's kids, were bored. Even the one who loves history.

@jen7233 I'm sorry you didn't get the White House Tour! I think the Capitol Tour is better any how. You'll enjoy that one. Have a BLAST on your trip - come back with a report on how it went if you can!

Yes, I'll comment on how our trip activities went with kids and what activities we did. So far we are thinking the Smithsonians, the monuments down at the Tidal Basin, Capitol tour, and maybe adding in Ford Theater and Arlington. We are not venturing down to Mount Vernon as DH thinks it's boring, apparently was there when he was younger, lol.

We got an email back finally from our congress member's office about our White House tour request, and no dice. Apparently it's too late. Oh well :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter