Anthem of the Seas and Bermuda cruise in October

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
So, we are booked to go on this Bermuda cruise in October, on the Anthem.

And I recently started reading here and there that the seas departing from NYC are so rough that many people are sick, etc.

Is it true?

I am not one to be scared with the rocking of a ship (I'm prone to seasickness but with my pills I'm fine and I actually enjoy it) We've had rough seas in the Florida Straits to and from the Bahamas before (including sailing during a storm) ... But how does this ship handle the rough seas?

If we are taking seasickness meds (we always do or use ginger pills) are we going to be ok?

What was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

I sailed on the Anthem in March 2016 and it was a little choppy but I didn't think it was that bad but then again I don't get seasick. My Anthem cruise was the second cruise right after it was in that horrible storm. I did notice some damage around the ship that still needed to be repaired from this storm but that didn't concern me at all. I was more bothered by the cold weather leaving New York. Once we got into warmer waters everything was fine.

I sailed on the Anthem in March 2016 and it was a little choppy but I didn't think it was that bad but then again I don't get seasick. My Anthem cruise was the second cruise right after it was in that horrible storm. I did notice some damage around the ship that still needed to be repaired from this storm but that didn't concern me at all. I was more bothered by the cold weather leaving New York. Once we got into warmer waters everything was fine.

In your opinion, where does the water get warmer? It's the kind of stuff that interest me a lot.

I just cruised on Anthem on a 12 day cruise to the southern Caribbean. We had no issues at all. There was a medical emergency on the last two days of the cruise so the captain had to go at full speed to get back for an evacuation. We could feel the increased motion but it didn't bother us. We left Bayonne on Jan 7th when it was 13 degrees. By the next afternoon it was almost 60.
Denise

I just cruised on Anthem on a 12 day cruise to the southern Caribbean. We had no issues at all. There was a medical emergency on the last two days of the cruise so the captain had to go at full speed to get back for an evacuation. We could feel the increased motion but it didn't bother us. We left Bayonne on Jan 7th when it was 13 degrees. By the next afternoon it was almost 60.
Denise

So... more or less 24 hours?

In your opinion, where does the water get warmer? It's the kind of stuff that interest me a lot.

I'm no expert by no means but I know that the gulf stream runs from the Gulf of Mexico around Florida up towards New York, however I didn't feel the ship hit the stream until around the Carolina's. This was also around the time when being outside walking on deck or by the outdoor pool wasn't so cold you needed a jacket. However one area I did enjoy the Solarium pool area which was covered and heated when it was too cold to be lounging at the other pools.

I'm no expert by no means but I know that the gulf stream runs from the Gulf of Mexico around Florida up towards New York, however I didn't feel the ship hit the stream until around the Carolina's. This was also around the time when being outside walking on deck or by the outdoor pool wasn't so cold you needed a jacket. However one area I did enjoy the Solarium pool area which was covered and heated when it was too cold to be lounging at the other pools.

Do you know if there is a map somewhere that is telling you where you are? On Carnival Ships, one of the tv channels shows you exactly where you are on a map. I love that!

Do you know if there is a map somewhere that is telling you where you are? On Carnival Ships, one of the tv channels shows you exactly where you are on a map. I love that!
Yes, one of the tv channels shows the map, and another one has the bridge cam. You will love the ship!
Denise

Yes, one of the tv channels shows the map, and another one has the bridge cam. You will love the ship!
Denise

I'm obsessed with it already. I have a feeling that I might even like her more than the Carnival Vista and the Disney Dream!

We sailed on the Anthem from Cape Liberty down to the Caribbean - the ship is an absolute monster and it takes some pretty sizeable waves for you to feel much to be honest. I dont think there was a single night of our cruise where movement made any sort of an impact on us, assuming you're not going through a hurricane I think you'll be fine.

So much of the ship is indoors that we didn't even bother to go outside much at first. Two of the three pools are indoors, so you can enjoy yourself right away.
Denise
^^^
This
We loved the Anthem.
We sailed in May and did not experience any rough seas on the way to Bermuda, did on the last sea day coming back to NJ - but it was due to a storm.
Regardless of the weather though, Anthem had so much to do indoors. Two70, Sea Plex, indoor pools.
October might still be hot or at least very warm in NJ.
Especially first half of the month high should be in the 70s.

Thank you all very much. I'm so glad we did not cancel. We've been waiting for this itinerary for so long.

Google Bermuda water temperatures. the mean air temps should pop up too. :)

Heading south into it/crossing into the Bahamas can be challenging in the winter/bad weather especially on smaller ships

I booked times but so far, I have no idea when the shows are playing at night... Which is the reason why I might have to change my time of dining.

Find the current ship’s compass (daily schedule of events) for your ship/itinerary, will give typical showtimes.

If on one of the bigger ships where you can book the shows, start looking for availability 4 months out or join a roll call where you’re sure to know all the goings on :)

Google Bermuda water temperatures. the mean air temps should pop up too. :)

Heading south into it/crossing into the Bahamas can be challenging in the winter/bad weather especially on smaller ships

Find the current ship’s compass (daily schedule of events) for your ship/itinerary, will give typical showtimes.

If on one of the bigger ships where you can book the shows, start looking for availability 4 months out or join a roll call where you’re sure to know all the goings on :)

Oh, I googled and found this: https://www.seatemperature.org/

Exactly what I was looking for. :)

I will try to find Cruise Compass thank you.

Update: Unfortunately, we changed our plans and won't be sailing on the Anthem this year.

Maybe someday. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!