Any additional construction projects planned for AK/AKL area

nderh2o

Mouseketeer
My wife and I did the DVC tour on 6/23/7 and our guide said that there were plans to build a shopping and dining area (smaller version of Downtown Disney) in the vicinity of AKV but could not offer up any details of proof other than, what I would consider, rumors.
Has anyone else heard this? If so, any specifics learned that can be substantiated?
Oh yeah, this was shared with us as we expressed some reservations with the isolation of AK/AKL/AKV as compared to SSR.

Disney had anounced expansion, similar to what you mention, on the western beltway. It's not on top of AKL/AKV. But, it is to be on the western part of the WDW property.

Isolation? Have you walked the expansiveness of SSR? :lmao:

Make sure you understand the expansion planned for this area is NOT part of Disney and most likely not accesable without a car or taxi.

Isolation? Have you walked the expansiveness of SSR? :lmao:

I think OP was refering to you can walk to DTD from SSR
and you can walk to ? from AKV

if you answer is distance it is quite obvious that AKL will be a long walk from AKV

AKV however does certianly offer a unique experience unlike any of the other DVC resorts.. as do all DVC resorts...

The planned development on Western Way *is* Disney.

It's on Disney property, but OUTSIDE the main gate. Disney made that clear in its announcement and I think it's an important distinction.

Disney hasn't been very forthcoming about the true nature of this development, and there are some (myself included) who believe it will NOT be marketed in the same manner as Downtown Disney. I believe it is simply an attempt to lure your typical "off-site" developments onto property owned by Disney. I think you'll see grocery stores, banks, video stores, dry cleaners, and so forth. The benefit to Disney will simply be that they are providing the land and collecting the rent. It's just another way to cash in on the 30,000 acres Disney owns.

I do not see this as Downtown Disney 2. The main reason is that there's no financial need for it. DTD has all of your Disney shopping needs covered: WoD, athletic apparel, pins, scrapbooking, holiday, artwork, toys, etc. So why in the world would Disney spend hundreds-of-millions of dollars to create a second DTD, not to mention the ongoing expense of running bus transportation? Having a bus ride that's 10 minutes shorter from AKL or CSR is not going to generate nearly enough additional revenue to cover the expense.

I agree with Anthony1971. It will be outside of the main gate. It may not even be marketed as a "Disney" shopping complex. It's intended customer base will be Cast Members coming and going from work, local residents, and those staying in the "off-site", non-Disney hotels built in that area. And I doubt Disney will offer free bus transportation there.

TO: KERRY MF & ANTHONY 1971

Hi Guys -- KERRY MF is correct, the planned development on the western side of WDW nearest the ANIMAL KINGDOM venues will be on Disney property. I am local Disney, and when planned west side development was announced, it was stated that Disney had plans to break ground for a Four Seasons Resort sometime this year, and was also considering selling excess land on the western side of WDW property to allow independent developers to pursue their own real estate magic. Therefore, from this statement, new development will be on WDW property, and a part of Disney. Most likely, Disney will sell this land via a lease back agreement, which of course will profit Disney financially. I am more than sure tansportation to the parks and Downtown Disney will also be provided.

As for the AKL and its distance to the AKL DVC Villas, having visited the AKL for dinner just lask week, from what I could ascertain from Cast Members, there won't be an extensive walk from the current AKL to the new DVC Kidani Village Villas. The Villas are being built to the right of the current lodge, separated by the savanna. In my opinion, the walk between the two facilities would be no more or less than the walk from Saratoga Springs to Downtown Disney. If there is a question as to where you could walk from the DVC AKV, the only answer would be to the current AKL, as there is nothing else in the area. One would have to grab the bus to the parks and DTD, as people who stay at the lodge do now.

ANTHONY1971 is correct, the AKL & new Kidnai Village offer the most unique experience of all the Disney resorts, and all who love staying there, won't have a problem with its remoteness from the other resorts and shopping.

I don't in any way claim to know everything about Disney's proposed projects. Statements made here were obtained from information announced locally, from my personal visits to the AKL resort, or from the many published articles on Disney's proposed projects.

Hope this helps anyone who has wondered about the AKL DVC construction, and some of the questions posed on this thread.

I don't in any way claim to know everything about Disney's proposed projects. Statements made here were obtained from information announced locally, from my personal visits to the AKL resort, or from the many published articles on Disney's proposed projects.

I have read the same materials and I still have a totally different take on it. How would you explain the following from Disney's press release:

"On the western edge of the resort, Disney is planning a mixed-use tourist commercial district just outside Disney’s gateway entrance."

Why would Disney build something outside of their gates if they intended on marketing it as part of the "Walt Disney World" experience?

"Designed around a retail village, the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central Florida visitors."

When was the last time that you heard Disney refer to its target market for a project and list "Central Florida visitors" THIRD? Unless you want to believe that it's just a poorly-worded release (for Disney, doubtful), it's a clear indication that the development is targeted more at CMs and residents.

Even the phrase "Central Florida visitors" is telling, IMO. Again if this was part of the WDW experience, wouldn't their target market be "Walt Disney World guests"?

As I said in my prior post, I think this marketplace will be grocery stores, a Target (or WalMart), Applebee's, Shoney's and that sort of thing. There's just no need for a replica of Downtown Disney. This is way for Disney to cash-in on unused land by providing space for services that 55,000 CMs need on their way to or from work. It's a place that local residents can easily get some groceries after using their APs for a couple hours at the parks.

I have read the same materials and I still have a totally different take on it. How would you explain the following from Disney's press release:

"On the western edge of the resort, Disney is planning a mixed-use tourist commercial district just outside Disney’s gateway entrance."

Why would Disney build something outside of their gates if they intended on marketing it as part of the "Walt Disney World" experience?

"Designed around a retail village, the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central Florida visitors."

When was the last time that you heard Disney refer to its target market for a project and list "Central Florida visitors" THIRD? Unless you want to believe that it's just a poorly-worded release (for Disney, doubtful), it's a clear indication that the development is targeted more at CMs and residents.

Even the phrase "Central Florida visitors" is telling, IMO. Again if this was part of the WDW experience, wouldn't their target market be "Walt Disney World guests"?

As I said in my prior post, I think this marketplace will be grocery stores, a Target (or WalMart), Applebee's, Shoney's and that sort of thing. There's just no need for a replica of Downtown Disney. This is way for Disney to cash-in on unused land by providing space for services that 55,000 CMs need on their way to or from work. It's a place that local residents can easily get some groceries after using their APs for a couple hours at the parks.

Hi There -- Just responding to your queries regarding my previous post. After reading your answer, we are definitely addressing two different projects. When re-reading the posts to which I responded, I'm of the opinion the two posters were also referring to the west end marketplace project. My comments were directed to the new Four Seasons Resort which will be on northeast sector of Disney Property, and face the Ospry Ridge Golf Course. For some reason, I addressed a completely different project, and definitely got off topic :confused3 . Perhaps I shouldn't view disboards threads late at night, as my mind was definitely wondering at the time. Please excuse my mistake, and bringing it to my attention:o . I must admit, I am one of those Annual Passholders who visit the park for a vew hours :cool1:, but won't be doing any grocery shopping. Going to Disney in my case whether it be for a a few hours, a day, or week end, etc. is to take a break from day to day stresses :woohoo: . By the way, at the end of this post, I have included copy of a March 2007 article from the Orlando Sentinel regarding the west end marketplace and Four Seasons project for your perusal.

Noticed you are a SSR DVC owner. We are BC owners, and in the process of coming on board with the AKL Villas. We really love our visits to the "World" for close to home R&R. Hope you have a great time on your next visit.

ORLANDO SENTINEL ARTICLE

Disney seeks upscale appeal with new Four Seasons resort

WALT DISNEY WORLD,
Aerial view of Disney's planned tourist district by State Road 429.

Christopher Boyd | Sentinel Staff Writer
March 2, 2007

Walt Disney World plans to break ground on a luxurious Four Seasons resort this year, bringing one of the world's most prestigious hotel brands to a theme park long considered the ultimate middle-income vacation destination.

Disney offered few details about the hotel, which would rise near an 18-hole golf course in the northeast sector of the resort. The Four Seasons would be the centerpiece of an as yet unnamed 900-acre development that would also include an assortment of luxury vacation homes.

In what seemed a counterpoint to Thursday's announcement, Disney said it is planning a second development on the western side of its property that would appeal to less-affluent travelers. That one, which is also unnamed, would include thousands of "value-priced" hotel rooms, as well as assorted restaurants, shops and small entertainment businesses.

Disney World President Meg Crofton said the projects would be "first of a kind." But the Four Seasons was the attention grabber.

The hotel, which hasn't been designed, would face the Osprey Ridge Golf Course, which would be improved. A second golf course, Eagle Pines, and other land would be developed with single- and multifamily vacation homes.

Four Seasons is one of the world's elite hotel brands, catering to affluent travelers with opulent decor and impeccable service. Abe Pizam, dean of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management at the University of Central Florida, said it will bring Disney's lodging portfolio to a new level.

"The fact is that Disney doesn't have anything like this," Pizam said. "This is the sort of hotel that attracts the richest of the rich. It's the creme de la creme. If there were six-star hotels, these would be it."

The hotel will add to the region's growing portfolio of high-end resorts. JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton, which form the Grande Lakes Orlando resort near John Young Parkway, fit the category. And recently announced plans for a Waldorf-Astoria hotel and an Intercontinental hotel near Disney World are also in the league.

Pizam said no one knows how deep the market for luxury rooms is, but their arrival in Central Florida speaks to hotel developers' perception of the market.

The west-side project would have a decidedly different feel. It would include 4,000 to 5,000 hotel rooms in low- and mid-rise buildings, and would include as much as 500,000 square feet of commercial space for restaurants, shopping and small-scale entertainment businesses.

The 450-acre project would rise just outside Disney World near the intersection of State Road 429 and Western Way, and would take eight to 10 years to build.

Disney, which typically doesn't announce development plans until they are fully formed, made an exception with the two projects. Even in its vague form, the Four Seasons plan speaks to Disney's effort to attract ever-more-affluent travelers.

Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts earlier had acquired land from Disney to build a hotel in Celebration, south of the theme parks. Both Disney and Four Seasons said that site would now be used for something else.

"I don't believe we will own the Celebration land anymore," Four Seasons spokeswoman Elizabeth Pizzinato said. "But this whole thing is very new. There hasn't even been a decision on the number of [room] keys the hotel will have."

Though the Four Seasons is best known for its hotels, last month it gained notice for its sale to two of the world's richest men. Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates, Saudi Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal and the Four Seasons chief executive officer agreed to buy the Canadian company for $3.4 billion.

The chain operates 74 hotels in 31 countries, including Florida properties in Miami and Palm Beach. The company, which has 25 properties under development worldwide, expects to open the Disney World hotel in 2010.

Disney will oversee development of the project, and Four Seasons will manage the hotel once it opens.

Christopher Boyd can be reached at 407-420-5723 or cboyd@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...657.story?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism

I think this will be similar to the Crossroads shopping center that was build outside the Downtown Disney area. It was built on Disney owned land, and they just collected the rent. Disney sold this center a few years ago for a premium price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter