Any advice for first time gardener?

luvstiggertoo

<font color=green>DIS'ing at work!!<br><font color
Yes, I know its hard to beleive that there is someone like me, but I have NEVER done any gardening before.
I'd like to start. DH is going to clear off some space along the side of our house that'll be all for me and the kids.
I'd like to plant rose bushes and some other flowers. Any suggestions....maybe good books/websites to recommend??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Geri I know very little about growing plants in Florida. I would visit a nursery in your area. They would know the best varieties to grow and also what plants are good for beginners in your area.

Good luck and would love to hear what you decide to plant and how the plants are doing.

Just make sure whatever roses you get are heat-resistant. I've never had any luck with roses, but I've only tried the miniature and left them in the pots as I have nowhere else to plant any yet. My parents, though, grow lots of roses and when they've tried the heat-resistant ones (they're bred for the more humid and hotter areas like Houston and Florida) the roses have done beautifully. Ask the garden shop (or look for a rose emporium nearby) and they can tell you which ones will do the best :)

Oh! And if you don't do well with roses, you could also try tuberous begonias or double impatiens. The tuberous begonia looks like a rose but doesn't have the thorns. It may not be as durable, though. The double impatiens look like miniature roses and again don't have the thorns. Those are doing really well for me.

Here's a couple of links for you:

Florida Gardener

When I started looking for information, I looked for our local County Extension office on the net. Unfortunately, it looks like Hillsborough County doesn't have one. Here's Alachua County's Web Site. It has monthly home gardening tips suggesting what flowers should be planted when...
Alachua County Extension office

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter