Any advice for really tall or short people?

Tink9721

DIS Veteran
So I'm helping my best friend and her boyfriend plan their trip. She's just under 5 feet, and he's somewhere around 6'5". The only thing I can think of for her is getting a good spot for fireworks where she hopefully won't have a lot of people in front of her. I'm more concerned about her very tall boyfriend. What rides are uncomfortable for tall people? I'm thinking Mine Train would be really tight. I know the leg room on Space Mountain is a little uncomfortable for me, and I'm over a foot shorter than him. Is it the front row that has a little more room? Definitely Barnstormer but they wouldn't have done that anyway. What else am I forgetting? I'm definitely not tall, so this isn't something I've ever had to worry about :laughing: They're coming over this afternoon for a little planning session before their fastpass day next week, so I'm putting trying to put together some tips for them :upsidedow

Thanks in advance!

My husband is 6'6". He doesn't do Flight of Passage, Small World, Space Mountain, Mine Train, and Barnstormer. They all lack legroom, but more so for him, he will throw his back out if he contorts his legs and gets tossed around on the ride. We're not exactly spring chickens. Splash is a tough fit, but he'll do it once. We aren't really fireworks people and only "watch" from the Poly. If we're in MK during fireworks, we're usually doing rides while things clear out.

My son is 6'5". He was uncomfortable on all of the rides mentioned above but was able to do them as he's only 17 and can maneuver how he needs to. The boat rides were probably the most uncomfortable. He could not physically put his legs in the position they wanted him to for FOP so the cast member gave up quickly and he just sat how it was comfortable - that might vary per cast member. He sat in the back seat on Space Mountain (I just checked our pics to verify). I have a vague recollection that he was going to sit in the front but when we were ready to load we thought the back would be better - but maybe I'm making that part up? At this point there isn't anything he can't ride due to his height, although he hasn't tried Barnstormer or the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh or some of those in a few years (i.e. when he was shorter). Last time he tried Mine Train he was probably an inch or two shorter. For him the experience of the attractions greatly outweighed any uncomfortability. I hope your friends have a great trip!

Me and my DD are only 5'1" and my DS(10) is even shorter than us. For fireworks or other shows where we have to stand, I will try to find a spot behind people on the shorter side or a family with kids. Or stand behind a person in a wheelchair or stroller. That actually makes a nice buffer so no one can stand directly in front of us. We glance over the crowd when choosing a spot.
For shows where we sit (like Beauty and the Beast at HS), I'll do the same - at least try to seat DS and DD behind shorter people/kids so they can see the stage better.
We definitely would not be standing behind your best friend's boyfriend! lol

DH is 6'2 and on Space Mountain the tallest person is in the back. They can stretch their legs on the side. He won't do SDMT anymore his knees hit. Can do FOP, but barely. Barnstormer is a no go also.

So I'm helping my best friend and her boyfriend plan their trip. She's just under 5 feet, and he's somewhere around 6'5". The only thing I can think of for her is getting a good spot for fireworks where she hopefully won't have a lot of people in front of her. I'm more concerned about her very tall boyfriend. What rides are uncomfortable for tall people? I'm thinking Mine Train would be really tight. I know the leg room on Space Mountain is a little uncomfortable for me, and I'm over a foot shorter than him. Is it the front row that has a little more room? Definitely Barnstormer but they wouldn't have done that anyway. What else am I forgetting? I'm definitely not tall, so this isn't something I've ever had to worry about :laughing: They're coming over this afternoon for a little planning session before their fastpass day next week, so I'm putting trying to put together some tips for them :upsidedow

Thanks in advance!
I'm 6'6" and its the front seat in the rocket on Space Mountain, the front row on Test Track. Tomorrowland Speedway is almost impossible. Mine Train is a little crowded and never rode Barnstormer.
I have plenty of legroom on Big Thunder but always feel the need to duck in certain spots. Everything else is pretty good even if I have to sit a little catwampus.

I was at Epcot recently and the only ride I had to sit funny was Frozen Ever After, but I didn't ride Test Track or Mission Space.
Soarin is great for tall people but I'm not sure how the guests below me felt with my feet hanging down! :rotfl:

There's no guarantee at the fireworks that someone won't put a kid on their shoulders and/or record the entire show on their phone or tablet, held up in the air, right in front of one's face. Just to warn your 5' friend. There's no surefire unimpeded strategy, especially if she wants to see the projections on the castle. If it's just fireworks she's after, she might consider a place behind the castle. Not ideal, but rarely a blocked view there.

Thanks in advance!
I’m 5 foot 9, which is sort of tall, but my only advice is to be careful on rides that jerk your neck. I was sore after ST because of all the sudden movements and we had to sit down for a bit after. Still had fun though!

DH is 6'5" and barely fit into FoP. He said he'd jam himself in to do it again, though! I'm 5'9" and we both skip Space Mountain now. Not worth the whiplash. :/

I'm 5'4" and my husband is 6'3". He will do space mountain but says he has no legroom. The only roller coasters I will do are Mine Train and Barnstormer and I ride with my son and my husband sits by himself for those rides. They put him alone on those rides. Same with splash mountain he sits alone. The boat rides - small world and pirates his knees are into the row in front of us. He still goes on every ride just has to be smooshed. Just like the airplane no leg room and the person in front of him always puts their seat back. He always gets an aisle seat to try and stretch one leg out. Fireworks never a problem since you look up but the castle shows I can never see over heads.

From the short side of things... I'm 4'10" and I've just learned to accept that.... yep. There are going to be "tall" (to me) people. Everywhere. I likely won't get to see things as well as most people, because there will be people in front of me. And I'll always feel lost in a sea of people because I can only see people's backs. So basically.... I've learned to live with it an accept it. It's annoying at times, yes, but such is life. I've also found that I am the type who is extremely aware of standing in front of other people too, especially kids, since I know how it feels to have my view blocked. I know it probably sounds weird for someone who's under 5 feet tall to ask the person in back of them if they can see all right, but it's something I do. I know you didn't ask about indoor shows or shows with seating, but for shows, maybe try to get one aisle seat. That's what I try to do, so I can lean out/around if I need to.

On interesting thing I've noticed. People will occasionally point out that I'm short and/or ask how tall I am. Yep. I kinda' know I'm short. I'll answer. I don't mind when kids do it, and I really don't mind too much when adult do it either, I just find it a bit odd. But I've noticed that nearly without fail, it's average height people who point it out/ask me how tall I am, and not really tall people. For really tall people, we kind of glance at each other and smile. Kind of an acknowledgement of "You probably get the height comment all the time too, so I'm going not going to say anything."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!