• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Any annoying things about WDW

I just think it's a shame what was an interesting thread has developed into a 'stroller debate'.
I have said my piece on the matter on here several times - and concur with the general opinion that if I need to use some form of stroller/wheelchair for my disabled son then I will.

Frankly what that has to do with anyone and why it should annoy anyone is beyond me.

I really think we should change the subject now.
DCLman you make some valid points though.

I don't think anyone said they had a problem with someone using a stroller for a disabled child. People who don't care for strollers are just as entitled to their opinion as people who are for them 100 percent in all circumstances. Me, I'm somewhere in the middle.

The last time I was at the World, I noticed some overflowing trashcans at both AK and Epcot, and an overall dip in cleanliness standards overall. I was quite surprised, as Disney usually keeps the parks pretty spotless.

I don't think anyone said they had a problem with someone using a stroller for a disabled child.

That's the whole point. In many cases, nobody can know from just looking at a child in a stroller whether that child is in it because he's having a rest (which, frankly, I don't have an issue with either) or because he has heart disease, juvenile arthritis, hip dislocation, autism etc. So whilst nobody is blatantly saying they have a problem with a disabled child using a stroller, what they're effectively saying is "I have a problem with a child using a stroller unless it's really obvious to me that they're disabled and if indeed it is *not* obvious I shall go ahead and presume they're just lazy". See why it's upsetting to some parents then?

People who don't care for strollers are just as entitled to their opinion as people who are for them 100 percent in all circumstances.

They're not. If someone was trying to gag them and force *their* kids into strollers then yeah, they're entitled to protest about such stroller-pushing-aggression :lmao: but are they really entitled to be annoyed by another parent's decision to use a stroller? I don't see it as any kind of entitlement at all. No more than they're entitled to be annoyed by my decision to give green beans to my kids.

Not specifically no - guess it depends on the type of disability, the comments "too big for strollers" can mean many things but fact is people do jump to conclusions without thinking.

How do you tell a child is autistic, as in reality for many children you can't.

It's just not the done thing, in my opinion, to comment without knowing the full facts. There are perfectly valid reasons why most parents use some form of transport around the parks for their child and if they choose to then it's no business of anyone else.
Please don't judge before you know the facts. Think I will spend my time on the disABILITIES forum from now on, there are more people on there who understand.
Quite frankly I am getting sick and tired of repeating the same message to people who just don't understand what it's like to have a disabled child.

*this is a general comment and not necessarily aimed at your post*

True, Deb...but we're all free to feel annoyed at anything we choose. Just as the parent of the kid in the stroller is free to ignore that annoyance. No one has to have politically correct feelings...they are what they are.

I'm very sure that some children are in the strollers out of need. I think that most people realize that. I know I do.

Honestly, I think it's easy to get cranky about all kinds of things when you're in a huge amusement park, it's hot, you've been walking all day, you're worn out, etc. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying...little things are magnified sometimes. My heels have been clipped more than once in a crowded park by a stroller, and I'll confess, my thoughts weren't happy ones. That doesn't make me a bad person.

I think it's okay to be annoyed by strollers sometimes. It doesn't mean you think the parents are overly protective nutcases or the kids are lazy.

This thread has come at a good time for me. It's a great reminder of what I tell my self ahead of each trip - I've anticipated this holiday for what seems like a lifetime and it will be over in a heartbeat. I'm going to chill out and not let anything bother me. I'm going to make the most of every second and appreciate spending time with those I love most in the place I love most. Human nature being what it is, I don't achieve that 100% of the time, but I'll die trying. :goodvibes

This thread has come at a good time for me. It's a great reminder of what I tell my self ahead of each trip - I've anticipated this holiday for what seems like a lifetime and it will be over in a heartbeat. I'm going to chill out and not let anything bother me. I'm going to make the most of every second and appreciate spending time with those I love most in the place I love most. Human nature being what it is, I don't achieve that 100% of the time, but I'll die trying. :goodvibes

Here here Deb, well said. I think a lot of us could do with remembering that. :thumbsup2 :

Nick

Completely agree :thumbsup2

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE :thumbsup2
IF ALL WE HAVE TO MOAN ABOUT IS PETTY LITTLE THINGS THEN I THINK IN THE BIGGER SCHEME OF THINGS WE SHOULD COUNT OURSELVES LUCKY & ENJOY LIFE.

Not specifically no - guess it depends on the type of disability, the comments "too big for strollers" can mean many things but fact is people do jump to conclusions without thinking.

How do you tell a child is autistic, as in reality for many children you can't.

It's just not the done thing, in my opinion, to comment without knowing the full facts. There are perfectly valid reasons why most parents use some form of transport around the parks for their child and if they choose to then it's no business of anyone else.
Please don't judge before you know the facts. Think I will spend my time on the disABILITIES forum from now on, there are more people on there who understand.
Quite frankly I am getting sick and tired of repeating the same message to people who just don't understand what it's like to have a disabled child.

I think its a shame you feel your time would be better spent & understood on the disABILITIES forum as I know for one that I enjoy reading what you have to write , and hope you will not let someones opinions become to personal to you as I am sure they did not mean them personally.
But have to say in the 10yrs I have been going to WDW never looked in a buggy to see if the child in was to big!!!! to busy enjoying ourselves to worry to much about other people,one of the times we went DN 12 was in a buggy as he had been ill before we went on hols never noticed anyone given us strange looks but then again did not look to see if anyone was & would not have cared anyway !!
So please keep writing on the dis board I for one would miss reading your opinions & I'm sure others would too.....;)

Not specifically

Why on earth would you do that? You stated that you are as hard as marble about it a few posts ago. We're just having a chat about things that bother us at WDW. So some people are bothered about strollers. You're bothered about people who are bothered about strollers. :confused3 You can't stop people thinking what they want to think, whether it's right or wrong. Just ignore their nasty looks or comments and keep going about your business.

I enjoy seeing your child's pictures, he's a cutie.

Ok, I think three things annoyed me about WDW on our first and only trip to date (sept 2007):

1. Rude, ignorant people pushing and shoving to get to the front - and allowing their bratty kids to do the same thing. AK was particularly bad for this - probably because it seemed much more contained than the other parks which made it feel more crowded anyway.

2. The really SLOW service in the shops and at photo counters. Why do the CM's feel the need to study everything for an age before they scan things through??! (I should say I think this is actually the Disney service that everyone else loves but it annoyed the hell out of us!).

3. People who are celebrating something - lets say they are on honeymoon - and seem hell-bent on squeezing every freebee and bit of special treatment out of it that they can. Fair play - thats great if you get some special memories but just relax and enjoy yourselves too, give someone else a crack at being picked / getting the special treatment. I mean they have "wedding" mickey ears and birthday badges, but I'm not sure there is a "This is my kid's dream holiday and we aren't going to be able to afford to come back for 10 years" sign is there? Do you really need to wear the wedding ears ALL OF TIME and get ALL of the perks EVERYWHERE that you go?

Ok, I think three things annoyed me about WDW on our first and only trip to date (sept 2007):

2. The really SLOW service in the shops and at photo counters. Why do the CM's feel the need to study everything for an age before they scan things through??! (I should say I think this is actually the Disney service that everyone else loves but it annoyed the hell out of us!).

?

the home of fast service its not
Paulh

3. People who are celebrating something - lets say they are on honeymoon - and seem hell-bent on squeezing every freebee and bit of special treatment out of it that they can. Fair play - thats great if you get some special memories but just relax and enjoy yourselves too, give someone else a crack at being picked / getting the special treatment. I mean they have "wedding" mickey ears and birthday badges, but I'm not sure there is a "This is my kid's dream holiday and we aren't going to be able to afford to come back for 10 years" sign is there? Do you really need to wear the wedding ears ALL OF TIME and get ALL of the perks EVERYWHERE that you go?

Daysleeper, I see what you mean. That is what is hard about any job working with the public. Everybody thinks that they are somebody so special. I always wanted to give the special treatment to customers who didn't expect it. Those who did expect it would complain about every little thing and make things unpleasant for not only my co-workers and me but other customers.

One thing that bugs me is waiting in my ECV to board the monorail and waiting on the CM to put the ramp in place and someone behind me saying can't you just get in. Well DUH it doesn't leap steps i have to wait for a reason. Can't they see the step and the fact it does not climb steps. Just a peev of mine.

One thing that bugs me is waiting in my ECV to board the monorail and waiting on the CM to put the ramp in place and someone behind me saying can't you just get in. Well DUH it doesn't leap steps i have to wait for a reason. Can't they see the step and the fact it does not climb steps. Just a peev of mine.

You mean they can't float like Daleks can? Come on Disney, keep with the times :thumbsup2

Daysleeper, I see what you mean. That is what is hard about any job working with the public. Everybody thinks that they are somebody so special. I always wanted to give the special treatment to customers who didn't expect it. Those who did expect it would complain about every little thing and make things unpleasant for not only my co-workers and me but other customers.

So true about the complaints!

As it happens I don't have kids and don't much like being the centre of attention but this sort of behaviour still gets under my skin - makes me feel bad for the unassuming, no trouble people who are just there to have fun...

I must admit this does get annoying when you've been queuing for 15 mins and the CMs seem intent on studying and commenting on every time everyonme buys !!!!

No wristbands for EMH. We were there when they changed from wristbands to room keys, so had one week EMH with wristbands, one week without. The second week the parks were much busier because everyone was just hanging around - there was no obvious way to tell who should and should not be there, and therefore CMs couldn't shuffle anyone who shouldn't be there out of the park. We also weren't asked to show room keys for purchases, so anyone, resort guest or not, could still buy things. Showing room keys on rides sort of worked - those who checked properly meant a queue built up before getting on the ride; those who didn't check properly meant no queue, but anyone with an old room key card could have got through. Perhaps a combo of the systems is needed, or a EMH card that is only issued at resort hotels to resort guests at check-in? :confused3

i think full adult price should be 21 in america i dont think you should pay adult until you benefit every thing from being an adult

I total agree with this statement.

My peeve is that when you stand in a long line with a Fast Pass for RnRC and you just get inside the building, you get placed with the people on standby and end up with a free for all when you finish watching aerosmith asking you to join them, its madness and practically scares me how people become so agressive to be the first through the doors.:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter