Any commercials that you can't stand and/or just don't get??

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
Whenever I see a certain commercial I always think that I have to ask about it here, on the Dis.
I just don't get this commercial. It's for Spectrum TV. The parents of a school child are sitting in the classroom speaking to their child's teacher. The teacher shows them a drawing the child did with "bad words" covered by what looks like post it notes. The teacher tells the parents that the child says that these are the words her father uses when he gets mad at the TV.
All well and good but why are the parents dressed like Halloween ghouls or werewolves? I just don't understand why the parents are dressed in such weird costumes.
Does anyone know what commercial I'm talking about?
Can anyone explain this to me?
Maybe I'm just thick?

Last edited:
The Kars4Kids ads. Mostly on radio but they've been airing some TV ads. It's not so much that I detest car donations, but there are claims that the organization has a poor track record with extremely high expenses and a lower proportion of donations actually going to charitable causes. Not only that, but they don't really explain where the money is going, which is mostly to a Jewish charity. I think they've been trying to get around that reputation by adding solicitations for charitable causes to be funded through them.

Also - the assorted ads for real estate flipping. The really bad ones are obviously edited where the name of the city/area is dropped in but sounds disjointed and unnatural.

There's this one Pillsbury commercial that makes zero sense to me and drives me nuts every time I see it because I don't understand it. Tried to find it on YouTube unsuccessfully even though that's the only place I've ever seen it. Musics annoying, dialogue makes no sense because there is zero context, and I just want to shout explain at my laptop every time it comes up. To make it even weirder the theme seems to be giving thanks for some sort of blessing (it's confusing) but I only saw it in October why have it then?

Also pretty much any Chantix ad I've had to sit through because of either horse racing or Star Trek.

Whenever I see a certain commercial I always think that I have to ask about it here, on the Dis.
I just don't get this commercial. It's for Spectrum TV. The parents of a school child are sitting in the classroom speaking to their child's teacher. The teacher shows them a drawing the child did with "bad words" covered by what looks like post it notes. The teacher tells the parents that the child says that these are the words her father uses when he gets mad at the TV.
All well and good but why are the parents dressed like Halloween ghouls or werewolves? I just don't understand why the parents are dressed in such weird costumes.
Maybe I'm just thick?
Is this it? https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wTjV/spectrum-monsters-parent-teacher-night

Spectrum did an entire campaign based around "monsters" as the customers and how "evil" Spectrum's competitors are. Here are some others:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqum/spectrum-monsters-phone-call
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wZKR/spectrum-monsters-poker-night
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wGHt/spectrum-monsters-charades

The Amazon Alexa commercial where the woman eats the raw cookie dough and then cancels her cooking timer with her mouth full. That grosses me out. Anything where the person chews loudly or talks with their mouthful is disgusting to me. I am very thankful that Kit-Kat seems to have moved away from the loud crunching people.

When Spectrum acquired Brighthouse, it looks like they also acquired Brighthouse's ad agency. (Brighthouse always had the worst and most poorly produced commercials).

I can't count the number of times I have said out loud "I can't believe anyone thought this commercial was a good idea."

I listen to Pandora radio at work, and I can't stand the Tide Commercial where they sing "shirt" and "tomato soup." I keep thinking she is singing a bad word.

Several of them!!!!
I absolutely HATE the sick violent fear-mongering State Farm insurance commercials.
Doesn't help to know that, at least here, they are AWFUL and just refuse to ever pay out anything.

Right now I also hate all of the commercials (many of them for psoriasis) that show people just very very annoyingly lightly feathering and tickling people, with just barely fingertips, even on the face.
That is not a nice warm loving warm firm-but gentle and enjoyable thing. I literally have a strong visceral negative reaction.

There are a LOT of bad commercials out there.

Maybe I'm just thick?

Yes! I just saw this one last night and it's SO dumb. I didn't get it either. And it probably doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Spectrum either.

I can't count the number of times I have said out loud "I can't believe anyone thought this commercial was a good idea."

I listen to Pandora radio at work, and I can't stand the Tide Commercial where they sing "shirt" and "tomato soup." I keep thinking she is singing a bad word.

This is one that I actually like and laugh at. I think because it sounds like Robert Barone singing the tomato soup part, and I just love him, haha.

I can't stand ANY of the drug commercials. They can all go die in a fire.

Yes. This.

(I'll try to suppress my associated rant: circumventing the doctor to push not-yet-generic, high-priced, minimal-if-any efficacy-difference products that drive up costs... and of course when it's for, as Borat would say, *sexy-time* medicine they make sure to air it during a sports broadcast or something similar my younger kids are sure to watch :))

Last edited:
The lovely day lovely day lovely day insurance commercial.

The obnoxious Honey Nut Cheerios commercial with the stupid song.

I also get irritated with the Michelob Ultra commercials showing people who work out like maniacs, and then bragging about their beer being low carb. Uh, people who work out like maniacs typically WANT carbs.

That commercial that promoted open borders. I think it was a Super Bowl ad. I don't remember the product they were shilling.

Any commercial where someone gets a new car just because it's Christmas. Always some super expensive luxury brand, it's never a shot of a Dodge Neon sitting out in the driveway with a big red bow on the hood.

Any commercial where someone gets a new car just because it's Christmas. Always some super expensive luxury brand, it's never a shot of a Dodge Neon sitting out in the driveway with a big red bow on the hood.

I've always found that concept a little odd myself. A car is a household expense. It's like, "Here honey, it's your new luxury sedan! Oh, and this envelope contains your 30 months of payment slips." I mean, regardless of who is the breadwinner in the family that's some kind of gift.

I've always found that concept a little odd myself. A car is a household expense. It's like, "Here honey, it's your new luxury sedan! Oh, and this envelope contains your 30 months of payment slips." I mean, regardless of who is the breadwinner in the family that's some kind of gift.

Obviously everyone has different incomes, and they can spend their money however they want. Those new car for christmas commercials have always just rubbed me the wrong way. I'd much rather watch holiday commercials where a soldier gets to come home, kids wake up to grandparents surprising them for a visit, kids baking cookies and delivering them to neighbors, etc. But that's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter