Any DVC locations have access to outside for kiddos?

starjazz

DIS Veteran
When we stayed at the Fort Wilderness cabins, one thing we loved was that the kids could run around outside the cabin, and we didn't have to leave the room, or we could sit on the deck and watch them play. In a big hotel building, that is not possible.

My question is, do any of the DVC resorts offer that easy type of access to the outdoors?

Certain rooms at OKW and SSR have green grassy area next to them that kids can run around in. You can watch them from the balcony or porch.
You could be in pool view rooms and watch the kids in the pool at certain rooms of most resorts. I would NOT recommend it, unless the kids are at least teens.

Perhaps the Vero Beach Beach Cottage?

THV have a much larger than normal deck.

Some DVC units have ground floor patios (like BWV or SSR ) but you're not really supposed to walk through the landscaping, and some of those "exit" to a pool area, or lawn, or golf course, or parking lot....and ground floor is not a guaranteed category.

When we stayed at the Fort Wilderness cabins, one thing we loved was that the kids could run around outside the cabin, and we didn't have to leave the room, or we could sit on the deck and watch them play. In a big hotel building, that is not possible.

My question is, do any of the DVC resorts offer that easy type of access to the outdoors?

Gee, this is something I never thought about before, but it's a good point. Besides OKW, the only thing I can think of is that if you have a quiet pool view at BCV, you can watch the kids while they're in the pool from your balcony.

Gee, this is something I never thought about before, but it's a good point. Besides OKW, the only thing I can think of is that if you have a quiet pool view at BCV, you can watch the kids while they're in the pool from your balcony.

I was sure you would mention HHI:lmao:. We had a 2BR near the pool and we could easily sit on the balcony and watch the kids play shuffleboard, cornhole, ping pong and foosball. We could easily watch them in the pool from the balcony but an adult was always down in or around the pool with them.

The ground floor villas at OKW have a railing around the porch. You'd have to climb over the railing to get to the grassy area (or go out the front door and walk all the way around the building). Plus much of the grassy area is really the rough for the golf course. We've had golfers hit their ball right up to our porch at OKW and then hit the ball from adjacent to the porch. There is also some garden-like areas along the waterways where critters might live (and the ground is soft and marshy). So the kids can't just walk out the door and be in the grassy area to play.

Other first floor villas (not OKW) have patios that are surrounded by shrubbery. So you can't walk through the shrubbery to get to any grassy area.

So, basically, there isn't anywhere, other than a moderate or value resort where you can open the door and watch the kids play right outside your room. You'd need to take them to a playground area at the resort.

I don't think I would let DS play in a *grassy* area in Florida anyway. Who knows what slithery thing might be hiding in that grass?

I don't think I would let DS play in a *grassy* area in Florida anyway. Who knows what slithery thing might be hiding in that grass?

I agree. I've heard of people stepping on or coming across snakes walking to the Hess station near Boardwalk and in the landscaping around the hot tubs and pools/waterparks.

We did have a very nice lawn area outside our BWV rooms behind Jelly Rolls near the canal.... I'd still be careful....it's still swampland.

Tree house villas are pretty removed with some land and woods around them - at least in pictures, we haven't stayed out there. I'd think that would be your best DVC option for a Ft. Wilderness like feel.

The warning about snakes is good though. There are snakes, they are frequently poisonous. They are more afraid of you then you are of them - which can be a problem if you children are anything like my son who at age six caught a gecko outside of BWV and brought it into the room - and it wouldn't have occurred to him not to do the same with a snake if he saw it (around us, snakes are garter snakes, and six year old boys catch them - or try to).

(He comes by it honestly, my sister brought a frog to church at that age, which got out of her pocket during the sermon and - well, you can see what happened from there).

BWV - standard view, first floor, facing the entrance!!

We have had this view and and first floor location several times and enjoyed it a bunch as my kids could run around in a nice grassy area. We are checking in next week to BWV, standard view and hoping again for the first floor. :) We have always enjoyed having a yard at WDW. There is just a patio with no fence etc. to climb. My kids are old enough to know not to run out into the street. It becomes a great area to kick around a soccer ball to each other. :)

I was going to suggest OKW. We had a 2BR on the 1st floor of building 14 and my DDs (12 at the time) climbed over the rail and played in the grassy area with their cousin while we sat on the balcony. They could also walk around the villa as well (and we were the end unit so it was easy). There was a nice pond (I think it had a fountain???) that the grassy area was around.

I was going to suggest OKW. We had a 2BR on the 1st floor of building 14 and my DDs (12 at the time) climbed over the rail and played in the grassy area with their cousin while we sat on the balcony. They could also walk around the villa as well (and we were the end unit so it was easy). There was a nice pond (I think it had a fountain???) that the grassy area was around.

Sounds like the rough on the golf course. The fountain is a water hazard.

Animal kingdom lodge has the most space .. but your kids have to dodge stampeding wildebeests. Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter