Any exceptions to 14yo age requirement for half-marathon??

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
Might be a silly question... and I STRONGLY suspect that the answer is "NO!", but I thought that if there had ever been an exception made, someone on DIS would know about it!!!

I know that the Rock N Roll half marathons (and some others I've noticed) have AGE 12 as a requirement, whereas Disney says AGE 14.

My son is turning 11 in Feb -- thinking about this for when he's 12 or 13 -- he has run a number of 5K races (he started at 8 yrs old) and will be running his first 10K race in DL this month!! He has run as far as 8.5 miles, and his awesome teacher is sure he could easily train for a half. This teacher heads up a running group at the school, is also their PE teacher, and is a former marine who runs various ultra races on a regular basis.

Again... nearly 100% sure the answer is "NO!", but thought I'd ask. :)

Last edited:
Nope.

And as a concerned mom and a person with an exercise science degree I'd say that the teacher is listening to his Marine "go go go mind over matter" instincts and not his "keep kids healthy and not destroy their growth plates" instincts. I have an 11 year old and there is no chance I'd let him do a half. And I'd be worried about a coach who suggested it. Like *talk to the school* worried. Might just be me. And my background.

I'd be interested to hear how this conversation would go over with your son's pediatrician.

Nope.

And as a concerned mom and a person with an exercise science degree I'd say that the teacher is listening to his Marine "go go go mind over matter" instincts and not his "keep kids healthy and not destroy their growth plates" instincts. I have an 11 year old and there is no chance I'd let him do a half. And I'd be worried about a coach who suggested it. Like *talk to the school* worried. Might just be me. And my background.

I respectfully disagree as someone who actually knows this teacher and has seen him in action with these kids. He is all about pacing yourself, safety first, etc. with the kids. The teacher is extremely well-qualified and has an exercise science degree himself.

As a former Biochemistry & Physiology major myself, I am not worried about his approach, and neither is the kids' Pediatrician.

I wasn't thinking about a half for him NOW at 11. More like age 12-13 or so. Not SO CRAZY given Disney's 14 yrs old requirement.

ETA: The Rock N Roll half marathons have AGE 12 as a requirement. Not so nutty. :)

Last edited:

I guess from Disney's point-of-view, they have to set SOME kind of age limit. With so many people wanting to sign up, I just can't see them reviewing things on a case-by-case basis, nor can I see them making exceptions (that would be a mess if word got out and suddenly they're getting contacted by hundreds of parents wanting their 12- and 13-year-olds to be allowed entry). :confused3

The good news is, with the popularity of these races, they aren't going anywhere any time soon...so they'll definitely still be around when your son is old enough to participate. :)

I guess from Disney's point-of-view, they have to set SOME kind of age limit. With so many people wanting to sign up, I just can't see them reviewing things on a case-by-case basis, nor can I see them making exceptions (that would be a mess if word got out and suddenly they're getting contacted by hundreds of parents wanting their 12- and 13-year-olds to be allowed entry). :confused3

The good news is, with the popularity of these races, they aren't going anywhere any time soon...so they'll definitely still be around when your son is old enough to participate. :)
All very good points!! Thanks!! :)

He's just so driven and gung-ho about this stuff, that I thought it wouldn't hurt to check.

I know some races it requires approval from the race director with proof of previous races, training logs etc and I know for some kids it's perfectly reasonable with good long training etc but I've never known run dis to make that call esp as it'd open floodgates...

I know that the Rock N Roll half marathons (and some others I've noticed) have AGE 12 as a requirement, whereas Disney says AGE 14.

My son is turning 11 in Feb -- thinking about this for when he's 12 or 13 -- he has run a number of 5K races (he started at 8 yrs old) and will be running his first 10K race in DL this month!! He has run as far as 8.5 miles, and his awesome teacher is sure he could easily train for a half. This teacher heads up a running group at the school, is also their PE teacher, and is a former marine who runs various ultra races on a regular basis.
Personal opinions aside, Disney very rarely stretches their rules, so the easiest answer is no, as you have heard before.

I did see this interesting article earlier this year and it appears RnR allows younger athletes, likely on a case by case basis. http://running.competitor.com/2015/...w-half-marathon-age-group-world-record_124454

I know some races it requires approval from the race director with proof of previous races, training logs etc and I know for some kids it's perfectly reasonable with good long training etc but I've never known run dis to make that call esp as it'd open floodgates...

Personal opinions aside, Disney very rarely stretches their rules, so the easiest answer is no, as you have heard before.

I did see this interesting article earlier this year and it appears RnR allows younger athletes, likely on a case by case basis. http://running.competitor.com/2015/...w-half-marathon-age-group-world-record_124454

I think that you're both right -- Disney is not much of an "exceptions made" kind of company! ;)

Thanks for the article, @ExportedMolson! Interesting! (As an aside... Molson... brings me back to my young adult yrs in Montreal... Beer days... Lol!)

RunDisney doesnt allow younger than 14 because the company in charge of the races, Track Shack, doesnt allow younger than 14. In DL some of the halfs it was a min of 12, now it is 14.

And no exceptions. My just turned 12yr old ran 4 halfs in 2015. Her ped has no issue with it and she could provide proof of time and it is a hard no from Disney.

Might be a silly question... and I STRONGLY suspect that the answer is "NO!", but I thought that if there had ever been an exception made, someone on DIS would know about it!!!

Again... nearly 100% sure the answer is "NO!", but thought I'd ask. :)

Register him for the 10K. Use a proof of time for higher corral placement and have him try to PR. Still exciting. Still fun.

RunDisney doesnt allow younger than 14 because the company in charge of the races, Track Shack, doesnt allow younger than 14. In DL some of the halfs it was a min of 12, now it is 14.

And no exceptions. My just turned 12yr old ran 4 halfs in 2015. Her ped has no issue with it and she could provide proof of time and it is a hard no from Disney.
Very cool about your daughter!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Register him for the 10K. Use a proof of time for higher corral placement and have him try to PR. Still exciting. Still fun.
He's doing the 5K and 10K at both the SW Light Side and Dark Side races. He is excited about that, but boy would he love to do more!!

A lesson in patience... :)

Last edited:
We are alternating between Princess Half Marathon Weekend and Marathon Weekend. I ran the full last year and would love to do it again next year. Our youngest son would love to run the Marathon Weekend 10K next year, but he will be 10 years old literally 22 hours AFTER the 10K. So we'll likely do the Princess Weekend instead so that he will be old enough for the 10K when we travel. That's just how it goes.

We are alternating between Princess Half Marathon Weekend and Marathon Weekend. I ran the full last year and would love to do it again next year. Our youngest son would love to run the Marathon Weekend 10K next year, but he will be 10 years old literally 22 hours AFTER the 10K. So we'll likely do the Princess Weekend instead so that he will be old enough for the 10K when we travel. That's just how it goes.
22 hours!!!???! Ugh!!! I guess they do need a cutoff somewhere... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!