Any Reason for First-Timer Not to Stay at Aulani?

Lots of great info here. I agree with PP—you’ve just got to decide how much exploring you want to do. If you’re not spending most of your time at Aulani, I don’t think you can get your money’s worth. If you decide to stay somewhere else, you can always book a character meal at Makahiki for a touch of Disney and then walk around and check out the resort to decide if you want to return. If you do that, I’d recommend dinner so you can see the resort during both day and night—like the parks, it’s just magical at night. But like other posters, I really recommend staying longer if at all possible—you’re going to LOVE Hawaii and wish you had!

We did Aulani in Feb for our families first trip to Hawaii. We've done WDW, DLR, DCL all multiple times so Aulani appealed to us for the Disney factor. We split our stay and did 2 nights at a regular hotel and then 5 nights at Aualani. Our rational for this was that we were going to be doing touring elswhere on the island for the first couple days so why pay for Aulani and not be using it. We did Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, etc. the first couple days. We also did a half-day trip from Aulani to the Dole Plantation and North Shore. Aulani was spectacular, can't think of any reason really why not to go there for a first Hawaii trip. It was a bit out of the way as others have said, but it is in definately the nicest part of the island that we saw. We did a one bedroom villa which we really enjoyed.

We rented our points in July for a March 10th starting trip. We just got a non view hotel room but were very happy with our view, over the fountain/pond at the entrance with a view of palm trees from inside the room. I had a ocean view hotel room (cash) last year and as beautiful as the view was we just never were in our room. So we decided it wasn't worth the extra $$ for such a short trip.

Because we rented points we got free parking and a discount on our cabana rentals and spa treatments!

Renting points was super easy and I would not do a cash reservation again. We used Davids.
I'm happy reading this. We just rented points through David's for 11 nights next March in a DVC standard hotel room. I debated quite a bit on rooms and views, but, ultimately, felt really good compromising on view for the unbelievable price of the hotel room category. That's interesting to hear that discounts applied when renting points. Did you have to request the discount or did they know to apply it based on your reservation? One more question... How far in advance did you reserve your cabana?

That's interesting to hear that discounts applied when renting points. Did you have to request the discount or did they know to apply it based on your reservation? One more question... How far in advance did you reserve your cabana?

I never requested a discount because we aren't actually DVC members. When reserving the spa and cabana they ask your name/room number and when they pull it up it shows you are staying on points. Nothing shows Disney that you are renting, so you automatically get the discount.

The cabana we reserved about 2 weeks in advance, and then ended up renting a second day a day before. However, these were the adult pool cabanas and they said its pretty easy to reserve those on short notice.

If you plan on touring much of the island, I wouldn't stay at Aulani. We just returned from Aulani a few days ago. We split our stay and the days we were at Aulani we didn't leave the resort other than to venture to other resorts next door and some beaches nearby in walking distance (paradise cove). The other half we stayed at Marriot Beach Club and those are the days we ventured out to explore. Aulani just had so much to do and was expensive so I wouldn't want to spend that much and be out exploring other places during a visit there unless I was there a full week.

I just got back from Oahu, my second time.
I stayed at Aulani and then at the Hilton Hawaiian village. I was in love with Aulani, but did regret the Hilton choice. Too busy, too many people, Waikiki in general was too much for me. That being said, I thought it’s so expensive to stay at Aulani, I should stay at the resort to make the most of my time there. And then switch to another resort as a base for touring.
I was too late to rent points and paid cash.

DD and my first trip to Hawaii was in 2017. DH had been there before. We flew into Oahu, spent a few nights at Aulani and then flew to Maui and spent a few nights there. Booking the trip as single leg flights was not any more expensive than booking round trip flights.

We dubbed Aulani as "Disney Hawaii" and Maui as "real Hawaii". Don't get me wrong-- Disney Hawaii was wonderful. In fact, so wonderful that we only spent one day away from Aulani -went to Dole Plantation (waste of time), North Shore (shortly), and PCC (cheesy but we loved it)- and then we cancelled all plans to leave the resort the rest of the time because we loved Aulani and just wanted to stay at the resort. Even the lagoon at Aulani is man made (as are the other lagoons on that part of the island). In Maui our resort was on a real beach and we also did the Road to Hana and saw absolutely gorgeous natural parts of Hawaii. You might want to re-think being too overwhelmed to try more than one Island. I was overwhelmed at first too, but I just figured out a hotel on Maui- figured out flights- and then we went to Maui with no specific plans at all. It worked out great. I'm very glad that on my first trip to Hawaii I actually saw some "real Hawaii", as opposed to just the disneyfied version. I'm also extremely glad we spent time at Aulani and I can't imagine ever going to Oahu without staying there at least part of the time.

Also be aware that if you stay somewhere else and just go visit Aulani, you will not be allowed to meet the characters (outside of a booked character meal). You have to have a resort wristband to get in line to see the characters. We saw people get turned away and one time saw some unhappy kids because the family had come over from a different resort and tried to see the characters.

I have a different opinion. Last year January (first time in Hawaii, coming out of Chicago), we stayed 4 nights 5 days/ at Aulani and moved to Maui for 4 nights 5 days.

We definitely felt we were literally out of breath on Oahu because we wanted to see at least some of the sights. We did NOT have enough time to even..... Just. Enjoy. Aulani. We had one day of heavy rain which put a monkey wrench in several plans. I even slightly resented driving to the airport to catch the flight to Maui. So much time seemed wasted. Don't get me wrong...Maui was lovely. My daughter had even arranged for us to spend the last night (all we could afford) at the Maui Four Seasons for our big anniversary (52). Again, it was just so rushed.

We loved Hawaii, loved Aulani, loved Maui. Next trip (though DH hated the long flights) I want to stay an entire week at JUST Oahu/Aulani. We spent part of a day exploring Waikiki Beach and the mall/shops. DH did not like it at all and felt he was downtown Chicago with palm trees. I LOVED it. It is old Hawaii of the pictures (I'm old) and new Hawaii thrown in. If it were up to me, I would spend at least a night at the Pink Hotel. (Royal Hawaiian) I felt like I was in an old movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter