Any word on 2016 Marathon Course

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
So obviously there's lots of construction happening around the world (AK, DHS). Additionally the Race Track is being torn up and turned into additional parking. So what if anything do we think this is all going to do to the Marathon Course for next year? Changes in store? Has anyone heard any rumors?

i know its being re measured as ive seen notices alerting to RunDis presence early hours but no idea what changes they'll make
It would be nice to find out something soon, but I think it will probably be a while before it's officially released.

If I had to guess, I would say OFFICIALLY rD won't release the course route until the Event Manual. We might see unofficial routes from approval applications (like the 10K when it was first introduced).

This year was my first full. How did the course run that y'all are talking about?

A lot of people don't like all the twists and turns inside WWOS but I like running through WWOS as well as having it to look forward while on Osceola,but I also would not mind if you didn't have to run through every square inch of it.If they were to get rid of the speedway section is there any chance of adding a loop inside Epcot at the start while still being able to run through a bit of WWOS,at least going through Champion stadium or is it too much extra mileage.

Instead of turning right after the start to head to MK, you went left to Epcot. You ran a loop around most of World Showcase before exiting and heading to MK. Here is a link to my Garmin track of the old course.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/22300048

Thanks for posting that.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the route from the last few years to the route posted. I really try to avoid "re-tracing" any portion of my runs. I don't know why - must be a mental thing.

When I see that the stretch of road right after the start and then portions of the World Showcase are used twice, it makes me appreciate the current (soon to be former) marathon route.

Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, too, but I actually like WWoS. I like the track and love the stadium. I like running around and seeing the baseball and soccer fields - especially if they're being utilized at that time! Makes for a great mental diversion.

Instead of turning right after the start to head to MK, you went left to Epcot. You ran a loop around most of World Showcase before exiting and heading to MK. Here is a link to my Garmin track of the old course.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/22300048

Yes, thanks for sharing, but I do have a question. How did they deal with the overlap of runners on Epcot Center Drive (runners completing the initial Epcot loop and the runners starting the marathon)? Were there separate lanes?

Overall, I'd much rather see something like the 2010 course, but I still wouldn't mind going through WWoS. Just limit the twists and turns.

As I recall, they had two starts at the same time. One group in the left lane and one group in the right. One group did the course I ran. The other group ran their portion of Epcot near the ball. The two groups merged coming out of Epcot.

Gotcha, yep, it looks like there was a Blue Start and a Red Start split across the East and West Bound lanes of Epcot Center drive. The other thing is it looks like there were fewer Corrals back then so it was easier to have everyone started by the time the faster runners completed the first Epcot loop.

As I recall, they had two starts at the same time. One group in the left lane and one group in the right. One group did the course I ran. The other group ran their portion of Epcot near the ball. The two groups merged coming out of Epcot.
That wasn't how they did it when I ran that course in 2012. I'll have to find my Garmin output from that race...

Yes they had 2 different starts. One did world showcase. The other did future world. They merged by test track. When you looped back on the start you were in the left lanes so you didn't collide with the remaining start corrals.

Then one year they eliminated the two starts and had one and we went through future world.

There's a lot of reasons RD prefers the new course. Not least is that we get in and out of MK sooner. And you don't have that choke point by test track when we all come together. But I agree blue start with World Showcase was amazing

Yes they had 2 different starts. One did world showcase. The other did future world. They merged by test track. When you looped back on the start you were in the left lanes so you didn't collide with the remaining start corrals.

Then one year they eliminated the two starts and had one and we went through future world.

There's a lot of reasons RD prefers the new course. Not least is that we get in and out of MK sooner. And you don't have that choke point by test track when we all come together. But I agree blue start with World Showcase was amazing
That's the year I ran the marathon on the old course - 2012. Running into Epcot for the first few miles was a real *wow* moment for me.
iBpdKE7yCUFAqiltsTrmem6Tith_Wk-EqZBLNttwFpnp=w716-h956-no

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!