Anybody know how much the toll booths are?

Peachpass does work for both the turnpike and the 429. For my trip last week I was charged $2.57 on 429 from the turnpike to Western Way. Returning I was charged $1.99 for Western Way to the turnpike.

I have not seen the charge for the turnpike this time but for last August and Dec 2018 I was charged $8.82 both ways.

When we went to FW, honey had to get on the phone with the Fl. sunpass folks to add something so the RV could go through the sunpass lanes, it didn't cost any more but it took a different sticker thing

I did not do that the first trip I thought having on the windshield of the tow vehicle was enough, so I go a toll by plate in the mail. I then realized it was only using the license plates and not actually reading the stickers.

It may take a while for a trip to post. Our trip in Dec 2018 did not show a charge on the peachpass until June 2019. most of other trip have shown in a week or two.

Last edited:
We’re driving from WI. How many of those EZpass things are we going to need? Maybe just one for Chicago area and the Sunpass? We’re pulling a trailer, so can we go through the pass lanes? This is all new for us. Our last FW trip was in 2004.

We’re driving from WI. How many of those EZpass things are we going to need? Maybe just one for Chicago area and the Sunpass? We’re pulling a trailer, so can we go through the pass lanes? This is all new for us. Our last FW trip was in 2004.
Do you plan on coming to Florida often? I mean at least once a year. The SunPass will cost about $25 to purchase and then you load the account or associate it with a credit card so it keeps a minimum. You can then use it every time you're down here. We bought ours several years before we moved to Florida and got good use out of it during that time. We bought the removable unit with suction cups so we could move it from one vehicle to another. When we are towing our car it's mounted on the windshield of our coach. The system counts axles pretty accurately and charges accordingly. The best part is not having to stop at toll booths. We have the fly under over a lot of areas on the toll roads and in some cases you do have to roll through a toll both. You don't stop, just go through at 25mph. Using the SunPass is cheaper than using the license plate reader (camera). Not sure if it's the same price if you stop at a toll both. I know this is probably more info than you needed but I didn't have anyone to ask when we first got ours and we lived out of state.
I can't speak to the EZpass in your area.

You could get an iPass for the Chicago area: https://www.getipass.com/ or https://www.illinoistollway.com. It’s compatible with EZPass. You can get iPass at some Jewel Osco stores, too.

EZPass is not accepted throughout Florida .. but IS accepted by the Orlando Toll Road System

US Gov' had said all electronic toll systems must be inter-operable by ..... well, that date has passed!

EZPass is not accepted throughout Florida .. but IS accepted by the Orlando Toll Road System

View attachment 474610

US Gov' had said all electronic toll systems must be inter-operable by ..... well, that date has passed!

Oh inter-operability is EASY. The HARD part is the reciprocal nature of it.

I've been part/party to some "reciprocal agreements". Traffic headed this way versus traffic headed that way. Same kind of traffic. But not as easy as one might think.

Because the RATE/VOLUME mix is the question. Oh I can charge $10 per axle each way (which is way high) and get our two systems to work (the technical angle of getting transponders/receivers to work/read is the easy part). But the other party won't agree to that. So the difficult part is how many and at what rate? That's the part that two sides can't agree to.

If my system is in the minority and I have fewer people going to Florida and I would have to net pay Florida for inter-operability, what incentive do I have to make an agreement? No party wants to be a net payer to a large degree. I'd tell my few Florida travelers to buy a SunPass because those BAD Florida people are being "unreasonable" in negotiations (been there, heard it). Oh they CAN work together but they DON'T HAVE TO so they push the issue onto the individual drivers/travellers.

With so many different (financial) players in the arena, there is little reason to be reasonable. The only reason is when RATE/VOLUMES are similar. But when not, then WHY? Until then, it is what it is.

Bama Ed

PS - no inter-operability? Pay the cash toll rate or the toll-by-photo rate (whichever is appropriate). Or any of the internet systems that are less rate-sensitive. Lack of inter-operability doesn't prevent your travels.

Last edited:
Does it cost substantially more for the toll-by-photo rate? If I had to buy a Sunpass for $25, maybe I’ll just let them send us a bill

Does it cost substantially more for the toll-by-photo rate? If I had to buy a Sunpass for $25, maybe I’ll just let them send us a bill

Let's back up little bit and keep things simple.

MilwaukeeMom, I'm assuming you are coming into the Orlando area from the I-75 corridor. The way many of us take to WDW from that direction is to pick up the Florida Turnpike below Ocala, pay one toll, then head south on Hwy 429, pay one more toll, and then exit onto WDW property. Both toll stations have live cash toll booths and both take SunPass. You do the same in reverse going home.

If you want a SunPass, there are two versions: a small $5 one that sticks permanently to your windshield and a $20 one with suction cups that is portable and can be moved from car to car as needed. You can buy them lots of places in Florida including State Welcome Centers (entering FL from GA for example) and at the Turnpike food/gas complexes in the median every 50 miles or so and there is one before the first toll booth. Vending machines sell the SunPasses and an employee is there during business hours to activate it for you (have your car's and trailer's license plate numbers).

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

And you put money against the SunPass account to draw from.

I can see where Stratman50th is going with his question though - if you aren't a frequent Central/South Florida visitor or resident, I'd be the first to tell you SunPass is not worth the hassle. Just pay cash tolls in both directions and be done with it.

Further south on the Turnpike down near Fort Lauderdale and some spots over near Tampa, there are NO live toll booths and THAT'S where the Toll-by-Plate option is used when cars don't have SunPass or other electronic payment form. But TbP is not relevant for a WDW vacation (I have gone all the way below Miami with my SunPass). I'm sorry if I confused you.

The Turnpike has a Toll Calculator that folks can use to see how much the tolls will cost based on cash or SunPass and the number of axles.

http://floridasturnpike.com/TollCalc/index.htm#

Using 3 axles, the first toll which is on the Turnpike says it is $5.88 with SunPass with savings of $0.62 (so cash cost is $6.50). On Hwy 429, the SunPass toll rate is $1.99 with a savings of $0.26 ($2.25 cash for 3 axles). Of course, more axles is more cost. Get off Hwy 429 at Exit 8 (Western Way) and roll onto WDW property coming in beside Coronado Springs.

Thus I agree with Stratman50th - it's frequency versus savings/convenience and the savings are almost unimportant. Since I'm in Central Florida once/twice a year I use a SunPass to keep rolling through the toll booths. But for an infrequent visitor as you might be, don't bother with it IMO.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Let's back up little bit and keep things simple.

MilwaukeeMom, I'm assuming you are coming into the Orlando area from the I-75 corridor. The way many of us take to WDW from that direction is to pick up the Florida Turnpike below Ocala, pay one toll, then head south on Hwy 429, pay one more toll, and then exit onto WDW property. Both toll stations have live cash toll booths and both take SunPass. You do the same in reverse going home.

If you want a SunPass, there are two versions: a small $5 one that sticks permanently to your windshield and a $20 one with suction cups that is portable and can be moved from car to car as needed. You can buy them lots of places in Florida including State Welcome Centers (entering FL from GA for example) and at the Turnpike food/gas complexes in the median every 50 miles or so and there is one before the first toll booth. Vending machines sell the SunPasses and an employee is there during business hours to activate it for you (have your car's and trailer's license plate numbers).

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

And you put money against the SunPass account to draw from.

I can see where Stratman50th is going with his question though - if you aren't a frequent Central/South Florida visitor or resident, I'd be the first to tell you SunPass is not worth the hassle. Just pay cash tolls in both directions and be done with it.

Further south on the Turnpike down near Fort Lauderdale and some spots over near Tampa, there are NO live toll booths and THAT'S where the Toll-by-Plate option is used when cars don't have SunPass or other electronic payment form. But TbP is not relevant for a WDW vacation (I have gone all the way below Miami with my SunPass). I'm sorry if I confused you.

The Turnpike has a Toll Calculator that folks can use to see how much the tolls will cost based on cash or SunPass and the number of axles.

http://floridasturnpike.com/TollCalc/index.htm#

Using 3 axles, the first toll which is on the Turnpike says it is $5.88 with SunPass with savings of $0.62 (so cash cost is $6.50). On Hwy 429, the SunPass toll rate is $1.99 with a savings of $0.26 ($2.25 cash for 3 axles). Of course, more axles is more cost. Get off Hwy 429 at Exit 8 (Western Way) and roll onto WDW property coming in beside Coronado Springs.

Thus I agree with Stratman50th - it's frequency versus savings/convenience and the savings are almost unimportant. Since I'm in Central Florida once/twice a year I use a SunPass to keep rolling through the toll booths. But for an infrequent visitor as you might be, don't bother with it IMO.

Bama Ed
Thanks for clearing that up for me. We will be going down I75 to the turnpike. We used to drive down every year before these “passes” became a thing. Then we bought into DVC and have flown down since 2004. This is a nostalgic visit to the Fort so I don’t know if we’ll do it every year. We’re looking at retirement and camping around sounds like fun for now. All this information is great to know for the future 😊

What @bama_ed said.
As you're looking toward retirement and you plan on spending more time in Florida maybe.... think Keys trips, a SunPass will be your friend. I still keep my EZpass current from living in Maryland 🤮 but haven't used it in the last 3 years.
Enjoy your trips!

We buy the 'mini-pass' SunPass for $5.00 and put $30.00 in the 'kitty'. We went down the Turnpike and up the Turnpike towing, plus cruising on a couple of the toll roads in the Orlando area with just the truck. I don't know how much the individual tolls were, but we still had $11.00 in the kitty when we got home.

The mini-pass (the one you stick on your windshield) does come off, we've (carefully) removed two of them from the truck windshield with no problem. But removing them does render them inoperable.

IIRC the tolls are cheaper if you use an electronic pass rather than the toll booths. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a question for my Florida (or near Florida) friends because I'm seeing conflicting info.

Does E-Pass work on the toll roads from Wildwood to WDW (Florida's Turnpike and 429 to WWay)? I'm getting an E-Pass since the window sticker is free.

Some posts say it only works on 429 and not the Turnpike. The image below is from the CFTX web site says it works on "All toll roads" and "everywhere SunPass does".

Just wanting to make sure the EPass will cover me coming in from I-75.

j

I don't see anything that SPECIFICALLY says E-Pass works on the Florida Toll booths.

The E-Pass toll calculator web page for the Central Florida Expressway system may be a tip off though.

https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/#

Note it shows the toll roads toll exits and toll booths on the CFX road and even shows a SunPass payment option to calculate.

BUT

What I notice is it doesn't allow you to calculate tolls along the TURNPIKE exits or the Turnpike toll booths. There are bubbles on the intersection of Hwy 429 and the Turnpike, for example, but the rate is ZERO. Because there is no toll as I have driven it frequently.

Bottom line it feels like E-pass is primarily for locals. SunPass is for travelers on the Turnpike which has surprisingly few exits in the Orlando area (not interchanges but exits to surface roads, not other highways) so locals probably don't use the Turnpike much other than to get into our out of town. The SunPass toll calculator will calculate CFX road tolls - but the E-Pass toll calculator won't calculate Turnpike tolls. As a regular but infrequent traveler to central Florida, that tells me all I need to know.

Bama Ed

I have a question for my Florida (or near Florida) friends because I'm seeing conflicting info.

Does E-Pass work on the toll roads from Wildwood to WDW (Florida's Turnpike and 429 to WWay)? I'm getting an E-Pass since the window sticker is free.

Some posts say it only works on 429 and not the Turnpike. The image below is from the CFTX web site says it works on "All toll roads" and "everywhere SunPass does".

Just wanting to make sure the EPass will cover me coming in from I-75.
View attachment 476244

j

Found this on the CFX website, cfxway.com if it helps any.

AD2FD3F4-2750-4126-A05A-C75A96F7801F.jpeg

36B0ADE7-DD8F-4D27-B8E5-54937A6EE168.jpeg

Vince

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!