Anyone driven 95 North the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

kbeverina

DIS Veteran
Living just 5 minutes from 95, I know better than to get on it the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So I need to know--how bad is it? We're thinking about driving due to astronomical airfare, the lack of non-stop flights, and several things we want to do that we'll need a car for. Are we crazy? Any estimates for how much extra time I can expect to add to the 12 or 13 hour drive?

Thanks!

We haven't driven all the way from FL to Md, but we have several times made the trip north 95 from North Carolina (inlaws) to Md on that Sunday. Our usual 5 1/2 hour drive on Sunday after Txgiving is more like 8 hours. We didn't hit any real stops, just tons more people. As a matter of fact this past year we opted to come home on Saturday to avoid some of the typical traffic and it still took over one hour longer. I've heard that Thanksgiving is THE most traveled holiday in the US.

Carla

Sorry, not don't know the answer to your post, we'll be flying. Just noticed that you'll be at the WL also. We arrive 11/22 and we're leaving the day after Thanksgiving also. Only 262 more days to go!

We plan to be at WL 11/23-11/28, but, knowing me, that could change! My dh was blown away by it when we ate at Artist Point in December so we're excited to try it.

Thanks for the reply, disney4us--I think we're going to plan to drive, but will snag an airfare at the last minute if they come out with any specials. I just can't bring myself to pay over $2000 plus the transfers or car rental(we're planning a visit to Sea World as well)to spend almost the same amount traveling because we can't get non-stops.

I know its the Holidays but we flew all 4 of us roundtrip for a total of $460 last December on Southwest from Norfolk VA. AirTran goes out of Newport News. Beats driving!

Lou

Wow--that's a great rate. I'm definitely open to AirTran or Southwest, but they haven't released fares for my dates yet. We flew Southwest in December for $645 for 4 of us and I was happy with that. I prefer not to go to Baltimore so I'm hoping AirTran has something decent out of Dulles. I hope I'll be able to find a good fare, but it's that Sunday return, which can't be changed, that's standing in the way. If I can't find anything under $2000, I'm preparing to drive. I'll definitely keep an eye on Norfolk, too.

Right after I replied to your post I noticed another post about AirTran having a sale. Round trip (8/16/02 to 9/01/02) from Norfolk for only $134 per person - an it's non-stop! Bought 4 tickets on the spot.

Lou

That's great news! My parents live about 10 minutes from Dulles and love AirTran. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them.

We are frequently heading to WDW the Sunday after Thanksgiving via I95 south. The northbound lanes are always heavy with traffic. Just an observation ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter