Anyone else discover far more efficient ways to live life since this pause?

You want to use parchment paper, not wax paper. I think many people use the term interchangeably, but they are different. You really do not want to use wax paper with heat.

DON'T use wax paper it can catch fire in the oven. Wax paper has a thin coating of wax on each side, which prevents food from sticking to it and makes it moisture-resistant. But wax paper is not heat-resistant; the wax will melt at high temperatures and the paper itself can catch on fire. Don't use wax paper to line baking sheets or cake pans or put it in a hot oven.
[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I said. :confused3

Actually, I meant parchment paper....they are used interchangeably sometimes. It is the paper you buy for cakes, cupcakes, etc.. Sorry about that. I get used to calling something something and then I don't think twice!!

Nope, I have been using MORE paper towels than I used to. Reusing cloth or towels is NOT sanitary at all (if you wipe more than one surface with them) and I cannot imagine daily laundering of like 50 washcloths. Nope.

I use paper towels for everything, and since Clorox wipes are in short supply have switched to a disinfectant spray (Lysol) and paper towels for most things I used to use Clorox wipes for. The clorox wipes are basically only used to clean the toilets and bathroom counters as well as light switches and doorknobs. I used to use them in the kitchen too, but not anymore.

I use towels to dry clean hands and dishes only. Luckily I have had no problem finding paper towels locally.

I do launder at least 40 washcloths every other day, they are single use and then dropped into a pillow case for quick laundering & has had zero negative impact to just wash them along with my other stuff. I'm saving trees and reducing landfill plus paper products have been climbing at ridiculous rates the past 10 years so to me it's an improvement - still to each their own.

Noticed that grinders came up. Love our coffee but the grind on my decaf is too big for espresso, I tried a stand alone grinder but it was disappointing & Kitchenaid doesn't have an attachment. Saw a few hand grinders out there and some for spices, anyone have a favorite? The coffee is ground but not fine enough so I think it would be very little effort for the device, I don't want to spend too much because once this ends I'll happily use the ones at Whole Foods again.

Sort of off topic but I buy washcloths on sale in colors that match my guest bathroom or after holidays on clearance. I roll them up like at the spa and place them in a basket. I place an empty basket underneath (with one crumpled wash cloth to preseed it :tongue:). It's so much better than using one gross wet universal hand towel :worried:. It's better than filling the garbage can with paper towels - although I keep a a pack of the deocroative ones on hand just in case I run out of the cloth ones. My guests love the real towels. The cost is almost nothing because they are reusable and it adds a nice touch to the gathering.

Last edited:
I save the drippings or tailings or juice from baking or roasting chicken or ham etc. Also the liquid from cooking pasta and spaghetti or from boiling anything. Then refrigerate the liquid.

Optional (I am on a low fat diet so I did not use butter or oil and I do this): Scrape off the fat layer on top and discard that.

Then use the rest for soup, gravy, boiling another batch of spaghetti, etc.

I discard cloth or paper that picked up grease or semi-solid material rather than use the other side and/or wash for re-use.

Often I will tear off a small piece of paper towel rather than take a whole or half sheet.

My research so far suggests that sponges and cloth towels and face masks can be sanitized by preheating the oven to low (about 200 degrees F) and then baking those items. About 15 minutes for thin items, An hour should be enough for a sponge less than an inch thick. If some of your items don't survive the heat then you will have to think of another method of sanitizing them.

I do not have a bidet but I would suggest using a little toilet paper at the very end in case the bidet did not do a good job that time.

Last edited:

Sort of off topic but I buy washcloths on sale in colors that match my guest bathroom or after holidays on clearance. I roll them up like at the spa and place them in a basket. I place an empty basket underneath (with one crumpled wash cloth to preseed it :tongue:). It's so much better than using one gross wet universal hand towel :worried:. It's better than filling the garbage can with paper towels - although I keep a a pack of the deocroative ones on hand just in case I run out of the cloth ones. My guests love the real towels. The cost is almost nothing because they are reusable and it adds a nice touch to the gathering.

i like rough washrags vs. the soft and fluffy ones my dh/dd prefer b/c i feel like they exfoliate my skin better so our household has 'nice washrags' and 'moms' :rolleyes: hands down, the cheapest and longest lasting washrags i've found are the ones that are marketed at the dollar store. NOT the ones on the shelves, the ones that have kid's cartoon characters printed on them and are sold in plastic wrap squares of about 2 inches by 2 inches (they have them in bins).

if a person wants to use washrags for cleaning and doesn't mind disney princesses or super heros on them-these will last forever (and at $1 each they are a crazy good deal).

i like rough washrags vs. the soft and fluffy ones my dh/dd prefer b/c i feel like they exfoliate my skin better so our household has 'nice washrags' and 'moms' :rolleyes: hands down, the cheapest and longest lasting washrags i've found are the ones that are marketed at the dollar store. NOT the ones on the shelves, the ones that have kid's cartoon characters printed on them and are sold in plastic wrap squares of about 2 inches by 2 inches (they have them in bins).

if a person wants to use washrags for cleaning and doesn't mind disney princesses or super heros on them-these will last forever (and at $1 each they are a crazy good deal).

I usually buy them in stacks sold as washcloths - as Walmart but sometimes at Target or Macys if the sale is right. They are always a $1 or less if you divide th enumber in the package by the cost. They've served me through years of parties. Well worth it!

I’m trying to find minimal 2 use for everything that I haven’t eliminated.
Trying to withdraw from paper towels and have started creating my own stack of small size squares next to the paper towel roll. I just cut them in half and so easy to grab a small one.
I have really cut down on the dryer non scented sheets (Use vinegar) but save them to re use to wash items that need a little extra scrub.
I also use those really thin cheap wash clothes in a swifter for those times I miss swhiffing. But sometimes shuffling with my feet is fun too and quicker.
I have been boiling water non stop almost to rinse the kitchen sink. Soap is really bad for the environment.
I rarely like to use the garbage disposal... But baking soda and vinegar and boiling water solves that. Basically use vinegar and baking soda and plain salt for everything...

Last edited:
...and have started creating my own stack of small size squares next to the paper towel roll. I just cut them in half and so easy to grab a small one.

I cut up paper towels too! (I even made a little holder for the small squares on the side of a cabinet.) I still use big ones for some jobs. But for other things, the smaller size is just right, and I found I'm buying a lot fewer rolls now.

Things I've learned over the past few months:

My husband goes through a ton of paper towels in a day. To make up for that fact, I've made a bunch of cloths to use when cleaning (crocheted them with extra yarn I have around the house. And the bonus is I've used it all up).

I can actually do well making a menu for 2 weeks and buying groceries for 2 weeks at a time (sometimes I make a special run to Sprouts for greens if we run out of those).
Cooking for a vegetarian can be a pain so it's easier for her to make her own meals.

My freezer attached to the fridge is too small.

I don't need to run to JoAnn Fabrics for sewing/jewelry making supplies once a week - I've got plenty of supplies in my craft space that I can use. I haven't been in there or even ordered from them since the middle of March.

I miss having the house empty during the week - when my daughter came home from college when this first started it was hard to adjust to having her home all the time.

And I really, really need to clean out the closets again. LOL

Ongoing improvements
So the washcloth thing is still my families biggest improvement. We've had precisely 3 rolls of paper towels in the house off to the side since the first week of March and they are still there.
Discovered that we simply do not need to use plastic water bottles anymore when we dug out the Brita and all of us are doing just fine with that.
Discovered that a small thing of vasoline will last (seemingly forever) for chapstick and hand lotion for dry hands from all the cleaning and purel. If not then olive oil is ok too, not something I ever would have done before but it works - often hear the same about coconut oil but I haven't evolved into incorporating it much yet. DD bought some so will give it a go.
Since spending so much less lately we have shifted to making twice a month payments to the cards so thats a big improvement, normally I only pay attention once a month.
We've rediscovered family & this pause has given us a few of those rare memory moments.

*still need to pick up glass containers for the freezer & am now daydreaming about a glass loaf bread storage type container for my countertop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!