Anyone else like me - parking fee

shellybaxter

Dis Veteran <br>Disney Restaurants for one hundre
it is being widely reported that Disney will start charging an overnight parking fee at all resorts. I use a scooter. I also have an anxiety disorder. We've gone to Disney well over 15 times. 3/4 of those times I've used s scooter (long term health issues - invisible). The first few times we used the bus system. There always seemed to be a problem. Disney driver "didn't see me" or more likely rude guests made snide remarks which sent my anxiety through the roof. So we sucked it up and rented an SUV (had to be big enough to hold the scooter parts). Now they are saying - after renting the car at $500 a trip (we are traveling from Cali so we do longer trips - with a day of traveling each way short trips don't make sense) we will also have to shell out between $150 to $200 for parking. It's getting harder to be comfortably disabled in WDW

Our daughter gets stressed and anxious, due to her disability, on Disney transportation. Especially the buses! We ALWAYS rent a car even though we fly in. So we too aren't happy about having to pay for parking on top of the car rental price. The deluxe resorts have always offered free valet parking to those with disabled placards. Will they continue to do so? I am not talking about overnight parking, just for day use (dining etc...)

Our daughter gets stressed and anxious, due to her disability, on Disney transportation. Especially the buses! We ALWAYS rent a car even though we fly in. So we too aren't happy about having to pay for parking on top of the car rental price. The deluxe resorts have always offered free valet parking to those with disabled placards. Will they continue to do so? I am not talking about overnight parking, just for day use (dining etc...)
I don't know about tags. The only thing I've read about valet is that it will go up as well. I've read nothing about disabled accessibility

Official info straight from a Disney CM:

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

I don't know about tags. The only thing I've read about valet is that it will go up as well. I've read nothing about disabled accessibility

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

Usually - it is extremely difficult to find an accessible parking space when we return at night. I have a disability placard, as well as a lift in my van.

Question - if I have my placard displayed and have parked in a regular spot - will anyone even bother to check it?? Will I be charged because my resort did not provide an adequate number of handicapped spaces???

Usually - it is extremely difficult to find an accessible parking space when we return at night. I have a disability placard, as well as a lift in my van.

Question - if I have my placard displayed and have parked in a regular spot - will anyone even bother to check it?? Will I be charged because my resort did not provide an adequate number of handicapped spaces???

Good question! We are rarely able to use an actual handicap parking space at the resort but we do keep the placard displayed. We definitely will now!

My understanding was that, with a disabled permit, valet parking was free. With the new charge for parking, does anyone know how it works? I see that Disney’s policy talks about handicapped parking but it’s not free. So is valet parking free but you’ll still be charged for the parking itself?

Because my injury/illness is more effected by long time movement I don't need tags at home. I can walk into the store and pick up a few things. At our biggest store (Walmart) I use a sit and shop. So I have no tags but could never do Disney without a scooter. This is frustrating

I the new Fee is just for guest staying at the hotel if you are there just visiting then you will pay nothing to park there. as far as if you are going to be overnight and be able to use the valet for parking and the fee be wave that I do not know

I'm going to merge this with the current thread so we keep all discussion in one place.

My understanding (from the somewhat limited info available so far) is that those with HA tags will not need to pay. I haven't seen any clarification yet whether that is self-park only or if the free valet service will also be an option.

We use a handicap Hang tag as well. It really doesn't go into much detail. Hopefully someone will be able to find out more information.

Seriously? So people with disabilities that do not require a hang tag have to pay, but those who have the hang tag are free? And other people who are paying the same amount to stay, etc, have to pay for parking? I think that's not right.

I'm going to merge this with the current thread so we keep all discussion in one place.

My understanding (from the somewhat limited info available so far) is that those with HA tags will not need to pay. I haven't seen any clarification yet whether that is self-park only or if the free valet service will also be an option.

It's free both ways according to my CM friend.

Seriously? So people with disabilities that do not require a hang tag have to pay, but those who have the hang tag are free? And other people who are paying the same amount to stay, etc, have to pay for parking? I think that's not right.

I understand where you are coming from and a whole lot of other folks are not very happy about this either. The move, from my understanding, other than being motivated by greed, is that they are trying to limit the glutted parking lots. Being that handicap parking spots are usually not maxed out all of the time, they chose to give the folks with handicap placards a break. Another factor, especially for guests who are located in other parts of the state, they can often require more than one vehicle to bring the entire family for their stay. So, there is that too.

Overall, I really don't like this new policy at all. My wife and I both have mobility scooters and when we go again, we will likely stay in the Disney Springs resorts or at a value on property. We will be using her car and my truck for the trip, because neither vehicle is equipped to carry both scooters and the gas for the trip in her car would be a wash vs the fee for renting a scooter onsite.

The move, from my understanding, other than being motivated by greed, is that they are trying to limit the glutted parking lots. Being that handicap parking spots are usually not maxed out all of the time, they chose to give the folks with handicap placards a break.

That's against ADA - here's no reason to give one group a break when others don't get the same treatment.

That's against ADA - here's no reason to give one group a break when others don't get the same treatment.

Actually, many states allow free metered parking with HA tags. I don't know the legalities of it, but it must be allowed because it's not unusual.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the new parking fees either. We almost never have a car at WDW, but I still haven't quite wrapped my mind around it. All I can come up with is they want to discourage cars so more people are "stuck" on-property and spending more money rather than leaving the property for dinner, etc.

I have walking disability so we rent a car after several difficult experiences with standing on the buses. I am curious to hear reports about how guests with handicap placards are handled. Hope someone can report back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!