Anyone ever done a Memorial scrapbook for a loved one??

pjlla

DIS Veteran
I'll try to be brief. My SIL's sister died in an auto accident a few months ago. She was 47 and single. My nephews (Brother and SIL's boys) adored her. She lived in another state, but was always visiting and doing fun stuff with them. (Makes me realize what a lame aunt I am!). Anyhow, I offered to do a scrapbook for each of the boys about their aunt.(Hopefully this will be a Christmas gift for them this year.) I plan to include a few pictures of her as a child/teen/young adult, but mostly have pictures of her with the boys (and of her house, where they loved to visit). BTW, by Christmas time the boys will be ages 13, 11, and 6.

My questions are:

#1. I will need quotes and/or poetry to use in this book. Any good sources out there??

#2. Anything super special I could add that I might not be thinking of??

#3. I am thinking of doing either an 8 x 8 format or a 5 x 7 format. I have never done 8 x 8 and only a few things in 5 x 7.... are these good choices??

#4. Should I include any "funeral" or "memorial" type things (Funeral card, obituary), or should I just keep this about the good times?? (I'm leaning toward just a brief opening title with her full name and DOB and DOD and no other funeral stuff.)

#5. Does anyone have any scrapbook pages related to this that they would care to share??

THANKS SO MUCH in advance for all your help!....................P

I think this is a very thoughfull thing to do. If it were me I would add the Funeral card and obituary and anything related to the funeral in the back of the book. But maybe you could give the boys these memorial books on the day of the aniversary of death. I just think something like this as a christmas present would ruin the holiday spirit for these kids.

Those sounds like great ideas. I would like to do a sb of my FIL who died last year but the grief is still pretty raw and I know I wouldn't be able to get very far myself, let alone interviewing family. My DH has 3 siblings who haven't gotten married and had kids yet so I definitely want something so that the future grandchildren will know something of their grandfather, and also so that my kids don't forget the good times with their grandpa.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the house.

I did one for a dear friend who died from cancer. I started putting books together for her before she died. In hopes on her good days she could do the journaling. We went to Disney together about 6 months before she died. That was the hardest book to put together. I had to have it done ASAP so she could write in it. Because truthfully with her little ones that would be the last happy memory they would have of her.
All of the above ideas are good. I wouldn't focas a lot on the funeral. You want this to be a celebration of her life. I also would leave spaces for them to write. Even though they are young they may have special memories you don't know about.
Good luck. What a great gift.

This is a beautiful idea. I made one for my grandmother, who passed in 2001. My mom helped me with the journaling since I didn't know much from gram's younger years. At the front of the book I put the best current picture I could find and her birthdate and date of her death. I did the book chronologically, which I do for almost all of my scrapbooks, and in between pages of pictures of gram as a child, her wedding photo, pictures of her with her children and grandchildren, I put mass cards we receieved, special cards and letters from loved ones, etc. I wrote memories my mom had and I had. It was a celebration of her life in words and pictures and I think that is the most important thing to remember when making a memorial book. I put the obit in the back. I did an 8&1/2 x 11 format.

It is a really nice book, I gave it to my grandpa when my mom passed unexpectadly last summer :angel:

I have not gotten the strength to work on a book for my mother yet. I will someday, but right now it's still hard to go about my normal day, much less work on a book of her life.

Good luck and I know it will be appreciated.

I have done scrapbooks of loved ones who have passed away, & they were well received! The first one was my very first scrapbook page. It was for a friend & her daughter & son-in-law who we met at WDW. The friend's husbnad passed away about ten years before the sb. I still had subjects he wrote on the Internet about WDW, so I included many of those. I asked some other mutual friends for thoughts & comments. I had a few photos, too. The last page was a photo of a tree at OKW that is dedicated to our friend.

The second book was about a friend's sister. She left a husband, two married sons & grandchildren. The oldest grandchild was the same age I was when my grandmother died. I wanted the grandchildren to have some memories of their grandmother. Several people wrote funny stories about the woman.

I really enjoyed putting together the books. PJLLA, I hope you proceed with this project. Your nephews will cherish those sbs as they get older. Bubbasmom, I hope some day you will find the strength to put together photos & memories of yoru FIL for your children.

Thanks so much for all of the replies. Disneyfreakk.... you may be right about this NOT being a Christmas gift. I'll give it some thought.

Actually, this book will be relatively easy for me to do emotionally. I really didn't know this woman that well. Which is why I am doing this book instead of my SIL. It is just too tough for her right now. She will probably even have trouble going through the pictures, etc for me to use. But she wants me to do this.

As far as saving space for the boys to journal, that is a GREAT idea! Thanks Spinning! I may leave a blank lined page near the back of each album for them to record their thoughts. But I am going to include several quotes/anecdotes that each boy wrote for the eulogy they did.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas and experiences.... they are so helpful. .........P

I think this is a wonderful idea and very thoughtful. The boys will really appreciate. Especially when they get older. I would like to give a suggestion. Please be sure that when you give them the scrapbooks, and if they are wrapped up, tell them before they open them that these are some pictures of their mom. When my brother passed away, my SIL gave me a picture of him for Christmas. A lovely 8X10 in a brass frame. When she handed me the wrapped box, I had not a clue what was in it. I was not expecting to open it up and see his face. I almost lost it. I almost came to tears but held it back. It was a wonderful gift, but it was a shock. It was hard enough not having him there for the holidays. I know it will be hard for these boys not to have their mom. I would hate for them to think they are opening a toy and then be saddened by their mom's face. This is just a suggestion. I think the gift you are giving them is priceless and it will be appreciated.
Janet

Janet100 said:
I think this is a wonderful idea and very thoughtful. The boys will really appreciate. Especially when they get older. I would like to give a suggestion. Please be sure that when you give them the scrapbooks, and if they are wrapped up, tell them before they open them that these are some pictures of their mom. When my brother passed away, my SIL gave me a picture of him for Christmas. A lovely 8X10 in a brass frame. When she handed me the wrapped box, I had not a clue what was in it. I was not expecting to open it up and see his face. I almost lost it. I almost came to tears but held it back. It was a wonderful gift, but it was a shock. It was hard enough not having him there for the holidays. I know it will be hard for these boys not to have their mom. I would hate for them to think they are opening a toy and then be saddened by their mom's face. This is just a suggestion. I think the gift you are giving them is priceless and it will be appreciated.
Janet

Please let me clarify.... this isn't their Mom that died, but rather their aunt. Sorry if my story was confusing! Anyhow, your suggestion is a good one. I think when I give them to the boys, it will be during just a quiet time with me, them and their parents.... not during a big family holiday. Or maybe I will just mail them the books when they are done. Thanks for your concern......P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter