Anyone Fly 1st Class Lately?

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
Unfortunately there is only a connecting flight available for the morning I want to leave out of BDL on Delta but the seat is located in 1st Class. It connects in Atlanta. Direct flight on Delta Express on the way back.

What is 1st Class like? Do you get anything different than in Coach?

How is Atlanta's airport . . .the flight is only there for 45 minutes, which isn't too bad . . .never did connecting flights, kinda leary of it . . .need advice.

Thanks.

Last time I flew FC was about 1 year ago so I don't know exactly what may or may not have changed but it was great. This was on USAir ( i think) and the service was very nice. Your are boarded first and on our flight we were allowed to pick our seats since there was only 1 other person in FC that flight. As soon as we were seated (in the nice cushy seats) the FA came right over to help us with jackets and carry-ons and stowed them for us. She hung up DH's sport coat, etc..

She asked us for drink order ASAP and brought them before the rest of the passengers even boarded the plane. We treated like a king and queen for the trip and the lunch they brought out was terrific. We were served a cold chicken salad, rolls, some type of bruschetta type of appetizer/bread, any drink we wanted and even a little lemon ice afterwards. They brought out the hot towels and had great blankets and pillows for resting. I also *think* there was a snack of nicer pretzels or something that I don't normally get in coach.

While it was great being treated so well, I don't know if I would pay for it again unless I really felt like going "over the top". I know others would disagree and I guess it depends on how long you'll be flying but 1st class is just out of my budget for now.

HTH!

I fly first class for work - coach for family....let me tell you it's hard being in the back after you find out what's going on up front.....;)

To answer your question - yes, there is a difference between first class and the rest of the plane....bigger seats, drinks served (free), better menu options if it's a meal flight, better movies....better service because there are fewer people, shorter bathroom line....enjoy it!!!

I've flown first class, and it is VERY nice! :) Kinda makes you wish you were up there all the time! The last time, we were on a US Airways mid-morning flight, and the only thing served to us were snacks (they brought around a basket with chips, pretzels, crackers, cashews, cookies, etc) and drinks. You could take as many snack items as you wanted. The biggest plus is definetly the larger seat and more leg room, plus, it's much less likely to get a kicking child behind you! ;) I'd never pay for f/c, but with FF miles I do think it is worth it.

I've been thru Atlanta's airport for connections before, too. It is a large airport, but it is pretty easy to connect in. I have experienced delays there, though. Not sure if it is my luck or a usual occurrance in ATL.

Have a great trip!

I agree once you go first you don't want to ride in coach afterwards.

It depends on the length of the flight and airline if you will get a full meal or get to help yourself from the snack basket.

The seats are better, usually it is quieter. I did have one flight with the family from hell with their kids. It was terrible. I don't blame the kids but the parents.

To be seated first doesn't seem like a big deal until you do it for the first time. I fly USAirways and if you are in first on a 757 the plane boards from the middle door so no one is bumping into you boarding. You also get off the plane before everyone so if you have a tight connection you have a little more time to get to your next gate.

I travel for business and my kids were making fun of sitting in first class till they got to go that way. Now they see why I enjoy first.

When I am in first it is because I was upgraded or I have an award ticket. I am preferred with US which helps.

First is nice, but not like it used to be. You'll still get offered a drink as soon as your settled into your seat. Hot towels after take-off, a little tablecloth for the tray table if a meal is served, alcohol is free, etc.

45 Minutes is tight in Atlanta, particularly if your flight does not arrive on time. Good luck!

I had a first class ticket once through work, but only got to experience it for one leg of my flight!

We were delayed out of Huntsville, but still got our reserved seats for that flight. We missed our connection in Atlanta, and were standby on the next flight and got the last two coach seats on that plane

Coming back our flight was cancelled and combined with the next flight and once again, we were standby on coach seats, and our last leg was a 50 passenger commuter.

What really bugged me the most however, was that even though we paid for first class seats, since we ended up sitting in coach, we only got the coach FF miles:mad:

You should have contacted the airline. If you paid for first both ways they should have given you the First class award miles.

The first time I flew first class with my family of four kids and my DW was about four years ago. Since they call first class to board the plane first, we all went over to the gate and the agent said to me that he was sorry but this was first class boarding only. When my then 8 year old DS handed him his ticket, you should have seen the look on the agents face!!!! I will bet he never said that to a family again.

We just flew first class again this December and the leg room alone for me (I'm 6'4") is worth everything.

HBC

I recently flew first class to Miami from Washington D.C. and sometimes if my husband is with us we are able to fly first class on paid upgrades or certificates(he is Premier everything since he travels every week). I have noticed that on domestic flights there is a marked decrease in service from 2 years ago. On the flight to Miami, we got a glass of oange juice and warm towels. Period! I was starving by the time I got to the hotel. Aside from larger seats and more legroom, I'd never pay to fly first class again. When we fly overseas to visit the relatives, first is always better because of the better food choices and more room for the kids to sleep. Of note- on a recent flight in first class, I had a flight attendant on a comp flight fall asleep on me for the entire flight. She did wake to tell the first class FA that WE should not be awakened for any meals and then said to me that although there were empty seats in coach it was lucky that USAir gave the FA's first class seats on their comp flights. I'm no snob but it was a little difficult to pay for first class and have a stranger's head on your shoulder for the entire flight. These days I guess I'll feel lucky if there are available flights to fly on and FA's to staff the planes. Threehearts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter