Anyone know where to find gift cards?

Ohanaof3

Mouseketeer
Hi, I just joined today. I am going on my 5th trip to Orlando in October. We will be at Cabana Bay for 8 nights, then a quick 3 nights at pop century without the dining plan in October.

I have bought lots of Disney gift cards to pay for the hotel, MNSSHP tickets and was planning on buying a card to cover the amount we think we will spend on food.

I plan to get a few refillable mugs, and quick service dining plans at universal which I know I can prepay.

I have been looking at lots of websites, and found various deals that only seem available to us residents. I was wondering if anyone may have found restaurant / universal gift cards you could buy ahead of time that ship/email to Canadian residents? I am trying to buy what I can ahead of time before the dollar changes more.

First things first, :welcome:To the DISboards, you picked the best place to dip your toes into posting!!!

Only thing i can suggest is to buy some of the pre-paid Credit cards that VISA/MC/AMEX offer. You will need to pay an activation fee but i know that the loadable AMEX & MC will be only one price rather than buying a bunch of smaller ones and then paying the fee on each card. They will be in CDN funds and work the same as the Disney cards --convert at previous day's exchange rate. You will end up with a bunch of piddly amounts on each card due to the exchange but if you have an Amazon account you can dump those onto a gift card to use whenever you buy something thru them.

Not really a solid answer to your question but a bit of a work-around. If you collect Airmiles you can collect Cash Miles and redeem for Starbuck cards that work in the states.

Thank you, Starbucks cards are a great idea! My kids loved picking stuff out (lemonades) last time! I’ve never bought prepaid visas, might be a way my ds 18 could carry his spending money to avoid carrying too much cash. :thanks:

I’d just buy USD when it’s at a rate you like then when you arrive at Universal you can buy gift card.
I have a CIBC USD Visa. And USD checking acct. So I buy when rate is up a bit and put money in my US acct. I use my US Visa to buy Disney Gift cards while at Disney. It minimizes how much I have to use Visa and have it compromised. You can do same thing at Universal. If you go to the US regularly it may be worth looking at opening a US acct and Visa/Mastercard at your bank.

Thanks for your suggestion! I have a US account, but td bank doesn’t allow access through a debit card, so I find I have to take money out, and bring more money than I feel comfortable carrying. I’ll look into the credit card. I really like your strategy of buying gift cards. Perfect! :idea:

Thanks for your suggestion! I have a US account, but td bank doesn’t allow access through a debit card, so I find I have to take money out, and bring more money than I feel comfortable carrying. I’ll look into the credit card. I really like your strategy of buying gift cards. Perfect! :idea:
I pre load my USD credit card before we leave, transferring Some cash from my USD acct. So I don’t have a huge Visa Bill when we get home! CIBC doesn’t have access to US acct from debit card in the US either. So I carry some cash. But I’m not comfortable carrying a lot of cash either.

Get a TD Cross Border checking account. You probably have the Canadian TD USD account. You can set up an account with a physical branch in the US and then you get a debit card. It’s a bit of a hastle getting it set up, but then you can transfer your CAD to the US TD branch account with no fees (it’s a me to me transfer). As long as you keep $100 in the account at all times there are no service fees.

I pre load my USD credit card before we leave, transferring Some cash from my USD acct. So I don’t have a huge Visa Bill when we get home! CIBC doesn’t have access to US acct from debit card in the US either. So I carry some cash. But I’m not comfortable carrying a lot of cash either.
Oh, so when you say you preload your US Visa...are you referring to a prepaid Visa or a regular US Visa?

You can only buy Canadian cards in Canada. I buy them slowly, use the Disney Gift Card site to amalgamate them onto one card (max value $1000). Then you can use the CAD card anywhere, even over the phone, they will apply it to your balance/fees based on the USD rate for the day.

You can only buy Canadian cards in Canada. I buy them slowly, use the Disney Gift Card site to amalgamate them onto one card (max value $1000). Then you can use the CAD card anywhere, even over the phone, they will apply it to your balance/fees based on the USD rate for the day.

I'm aware of that, I just wasn't sure if this was a Canadian website.

I'm aware of that, I just wasn't sure if this was a Canadian website.

Wait, you mean GiftCardMall, that's US. Unfortunately none of us have been able to find a way to buy US cards here. For now we save up CAD$ and convert it when we use it, to avoid any FOREX fees.

Wait, you mean GiftCardMall, that's US. Unfortunately none of us have been able to find a way to buy US cards here. For now we save up CAD$ and convert it when we use it, to avoid any FOREX fees.
Yes that's what I meant. So I won't purchase from them. I just have to check out a few more stores, but I'll find them. If I have to buy multiple $50 cards then thats what I'll do. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes that's what I meant. So I won't purchase from them. I just have to check out a few more stores, but I'll find them. If I have to buy multiple $50 cards then thats what I'll do. Thanks for clarifying.

There are ones out there you can load with your own amount, I think it's up to $500. I've seen them at Rexall, Canadian Tire and some Shoppers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts