Anyone out there knowledgeable about Virtual Reality?

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
My DS has gotten into VR. We have traveled to local museums that offer experiences and the like. VR equipment is #1 on his Xmas list. He is 10. He is a very smart kid and I feel like VR has some opportunities to expand that.

I have been eyeing up some Oculus Rift that is for sale on Black Friday at Best Buy. But we would also need to get a new computer to run these. (Will probably need the new computer in about 3 years but wasn't going to do it until then.) This is more than I would spend on a normal present but would be willing to if this is something that would grow with him.

We currently have no gaming systems in our home (well the original Wii). We plan to buy DS a gaming system in 1-2 years. (He used to ask for this nonstop until VR took over his interest.) So another option for this year would be to buy PS4 now and get the VR that goes with that.

I guess my question is which has better VR options for a tween that can expand with him as he grows into a teen. I am not interested in FPS games or the like. I'm also trying to figure out which will be more budget in the long run.

As an initial start, you might want to look into a Google-cardboard type viewer instead jumping head on into Oculus Rift. You can get actual cardboard ones for a few bucks, or you can get nicer plastic viewers for around $20-30. Google then has some apps for your phone that you use with the headset.

I got DD the BOBOVR Z4 headset for Christmas. I've played with it a bit just to see what it is like - I'll be honest, it's not a perfect experience by ANY means. I also find many of the apps difficult to figure out and navigate - and I develop software for a living! But it definitely gives you a feel for VR, is fun and is a MUCH smaller investment.

The other option is to go with something more serious but still works with a phone instead of a computer. If you have a Samsung phone, their viewer is pretty good from what I've heard. Or there is the Google Daydream - a limited number of Android phones already support Daydream, and more new phones should be soon.

Thanks for the thoughts!

As an initial start, you might want to look into a Google-cardboard type viewer instead jumping head on into Oculus Rift. You can get actual cardboard ones for a few bucks, or you can get nicer plastic viewers for around $20-30. Google then has some apps for your phone that you use with the headset.

I got DD the BOBOVR Z4 headset for Christmas. I've played with it a bit just to see what it is like - I'll be honest, it's not a perfect experience by ANY means. I also find many of the apps difficult to figure out and navigate - and I develop software for a living! But it definitely gives you a feel for VR, is fun and is a MUCH smaller investment.

The other option is to go with something more serious but still works with a phone instead of a computer. If you have a Samsung phone, their viewer is pretty good from what I've heard. Or there is the Google Daydream - a limited number of Android phones already support Daydream, and more new phones should be soon.
This is the back up plan. We have used several of these types and they always leave me motion sick/nauseous. DS hasn’t had that complaint so maybe they will be fine for him. Other problem is we now only have apple phones. Which don’t seem to come close to the reviews I read about Samsung/Android options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!