• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone stayed 5 in a room at the AS?

toystorymom

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 5 with 3 boys, ages 6, 3, and almost 2. We really would like to stay on site and the boys just loved the pictures of the All Star Sports and Movies that they saw. I know they would be so thrilled to stay at either one of those places. But all I hear about the AS is how small they are! Any families of 5 stayed at any of the All Stars and survived? :D Any tips?

Getting 2 rooms really isn't an option as this is a budget trip, already counting on a good code at a value resort. Having only 1 bathroom isn't a big deal, we manage at home with only 1. I'm the only female so it's usually more of a struggle to get the boys into the bathroom! :D

Thanks for any help or encouragement!

You'll be fine! Just try to keep the kids toys and clutter under control and spend a lot of time at the pool!

Have fun planning!!

We did... it was fine. We took my MIL with us on our last trip. DH and I took 1 bed, MIL and my 2 1/2 year old DD took the other and the baby was in the portacrib. We even had a double stroller in the room, lol! It's totally doable; we'd do it again!

I think you will be just fine in there. Normally when we go to Disney the only time spent in the room is passed out on the bed. Then up and out again. If you dont want to put up a crib in your room maybe you and dh can take separate beds and split up the kiddos (maybe baby and 1 with you and 1 with dh) that way you wont have to worry about the crib in the way.

You will be fine and it will be so worth the crowding to stay on site. I agree to try and keep the room organized and keep clutter down. We did not do it, but I have heard that the beds will move so you clould slid them to either side to give you more room for the crib. The other thing is that there is only two chairs at the table but what we did was to cover the bed with an extra sheet and eat there picnic style for breakfast and the occasional dinner in the room. The boys will enjoy the resort and you will love being on site.

jordan's mom

You should be fine especially if the youngest is in a portacrib. We found it fit between the beds up toward the nightstand fine and that gave us the most room. The vanity area is outside the actual bathroom so getting ready is easier. I agree with the others that trying to stay organized helps. Often while dh took the kids to the pool I would lag behind 15 or so mintues to clean up and organize and sometimes get things ready for that night or the next days outing. (not to mention I need a few minutes to myself each day, even if it is while doing busy work!)

The disney tips board has lots of great ideas for helping keep organized. Things like using a shoe holder over the back of the bathroom door for everyones personal items, brush, shave cream etc. I also bring some over the door hooks and suction hooks for hanging coats and hats.

We also let the kids "picnic" on the bed sometimes by using a large bathroom towel or beach towel. They loved it and dh and I used the chairs. Other times we just ate in the food court or outside by the pool.

If you can get a good rate I would much rather "cram" into an on site room than stay offsite.

Have fun
TJ

last year, I was working with a travel agent for my trip, and she would not let me book 5 to an All Stars room. She said the max was 4. I am not above sneaking in an extra kid, but did not know how much Disney checked on that stuff. We ended up with a bigger cheaper off site room, but I am curious for future trips.

toystorymom has one child under three so she is fine. The rule is four plus one under three in a crib.

jordan's mom

Yep...we did it with 3 adults a 4.5yo and a 20 month old. We had no problem with space or only having 1 bathroom. We would do it again if we still could but our youngest is now 3.

I didn't think there was an age limit that allowed for a 5th, but even so, you could easily sneak a 3rd child in the room. I'm not above doing that either, and I'm really surprised someone hasn't gotten irate at the idea. I've seen it happen on these boards before when discussing this particular topic. I've stayed in AS with 2 kids, but now that I have 3 - no way! More power to you, if you want to be onsite badly enough to put up with lack of space. We find we enjoy the magic much more if we have more space during our down time. Keep in mind that I do have a chronic illness with accompanying fatigue, so my family fights our way around the park with my dh pushing a double stroller, me driving an ECV, and the 3rd child trying not to get his toes run over by either. I need a good space to crash, that allows the kids room to move. AS is Disney's version of Motel 6 when it comes to size. Of course AS is nicer than Motel 6, but the rooms are tiny.

Have you heard about the DTD Marriott's rate of $20.03 a night? It's sun-th, and you have to call the hotel directly at 407-878-8888. Maybe you could stay there then go to a nicer onsite hotel the last couple of nights with the money you've saved. Just another idea...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sounds like with some planning and organization (survival skills anyway with 3 boys :D) it is definitely managable. I figure the boys will be so exhausted that sleep shouldn't be a problem. I like the picnic on the bed idea, we will probably be having breakfast in the room most days. I think we will be fine!

I saw the $20.03 rate for the Marriot but it doesn't apply to the dates we are considering. That is a great deal although, honestly, I can just picture the looks of awe on my boys faces when they see the giant icons at the All Stars. I get the feeling they would be much more impressed with the value resorts than even a deluxe! :D

When I asked the question, it was definitley about the space issue, not whether it was allowed. I've seen what can happen around here when someone asks about sneaking something past Disney. :eek: It is definitely allowed if the 5th person is under the age of 3. That is another reason we want to save money by staying in one room. This will be the last time we'll have a little one under 3, we may as well take advantage of it!

Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Toystorymom, YES, enjoy it while you can. We have 4 kids. We stayed at Dixie Landings in a room with one of the trundle beds when we had 3 older ones and one in the port-a-crib. It was fine because they were all so small. Then, when the youngest was 2 and a half we stayed at the Poly. It had 2 queen beds and a day bed. They brought in a crib for our youngest but she would not sleep in it! I had already taken her out of the crib at home. She is tall and could not really stretch out in the thing! It was musical beds every night! By about the third night I said "mommy is sleeping on the day bed tonight by myself!" We had a great trip but not very relaxing. The 1 bathroom thing is okay when they are small too. Now ours are 12,10,8, and 5. The older ones want privacy, no more bathing together! They also need more space, the oldest daughter is almost as tall as I am. Sneaking is not an option with ones this big. Our solution? We just bought DVC! not a lot of points, but we hope to add on over time. We will get a 2 bedroom unit, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and 3 televisions! It was expensive, but it is going to be great!!! Have fun...Lacee

We stayed there with almost the exact ages you are mentioning. I'm trying really hard to remember good or bad, but I have to agree with whoever said the room is just for passing out in :-)

We don't do the afternoon restbreak though - our kids have always been happy to sleep in the stroller. I have highly "travel-able" children - lucky me

:)

Micki

We've stayed all over on site and off and I know the one thing my boys go on about...they loved the pool at AS best because there were so many other kids to play with!! They're both little social butterflies! :)

At the ages your boys are y'all will do fine! Maybe Daddy will be kind and take the boys to the pool while Mommy unwinds!

We stayed in ASMu for a week with 4, but DD was in a portacrib, and we also had a full sized stroller and a 30gal electric cooler. Iagree it can be done with planning. Unpack and put the suitcases and anything else you can in the closet (souviniers as you buy them, dirty clothes etc) We keot the portacrib against the wall next to the TV/dresser thew cooler was between the table nad the window and the stroller next to it, near the front door. The rooms are about the same size as a days Inn or similar economy motel. The only complaint was with 4 people for 7 days, we didn't have enought drawer space.

Another vote for staying at the All Stars!!! I think yall will be fine. We really didn't think the room was that small (the bathrooms were a little small though). We didn't have five in our room, but we did have the stroller, which I kept opened and ready to go. I think a crib would fit fine next to the dresser, between the wall where the sink is. (We had a door for a connecting room there, and I think a crib would fit fine).

My youngest DD also LOVES the All Star Movies - last Dec, we finally got to stay at the Grand Floridian (I've always wanted to stay there!!), and she kept asking to visit the Movies!

Your kids will love it!! Enjoy your stay!!!

I don't want to offend any travel agents out there BUT I find almost all of them very unhelpful when it comes to booking rooms for 5. Almost all of them start out with "you'll need to book 2 rooms" without even checking to see if day beds, sofa sleepers or other options are available. Also, most of the travel web sites are not helpful. They will describe a room as having 2 double beds and a sofa sleeper and then will say "MAX 4."

Though 4 + 1 in a crib is perfectly legal at All-Stars, I'd look for a place where you could get a little more space. With small kids you're going to be spending more time in the room -- breakfast, nap time, earlier evenings -- and I think you'll need some spreading-out room. At least my family would. My husband definately needs some "space" or he turns into GRUMPY.

Mrs. Pete, that's my dh too! If he doesn't have his space and the kids are rambunctious after a day at WDW, his head starts spinning around, and he morphs into something unfit for human interaction. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter