Anyone use the Forerunner 935?

camaker

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Does anyone use the Forerunner 935 as their running watch? I've got the 235 right now and am basically happy with it, but some of the advanced running metrics native to the 935 and the ability to pair it with the Running Dynamics pod are intriguing. The longer battery life would also be welcome as I consider dipping my toe into running longer distances, too. Feedback on the 735XT as an option would also be welcome, although I'm pretty sure the 935 would be the better option. Thanks!

Does anyone use the Forerunner 935 as their running watch? I've got the 235 right now and am basically happy with it, but some of the advanced running metrics native to the 935 and the ability to pair it with the Running Dynamics pod are intriguing. The longer battery life would also be welcome as I consider dipping my toe into running longer distances, too. Feedback on the 735XT as an option would also be welcome, although I'm pretty sure the 935 would be the better option. Thanks!

I love my 935! I've had it for about four months now. I must admit I don't use the running dynamics pod, so I can't comment on that. I upgraded from the 225, so your 235 already has some features that I didn't have with the 225 (24/7 HR, smart notifications, Connect IQ), but I do like most the metrics the 935 provides, and it connects to satellites much faster than my 225.

I also like some of the software differences. The auto lap feature still works even when you are using a workout. On my 225, if I did 3x2mi, the autolap feature would be disabled and wouldn't work during the 2 mile intervals, but on the 935, it still does. I'm not sure how the 235 works in this regard. I also like that you can turn off or on the auto lap feature while you are already running.

I also haven't used the multi-sport features, but I think they are quite good as well.

In any case, I'm a big fan. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

I entered a series of contests to try to win a 935 during the Tour de France, but alas, 'twas not to be.

I do, however, really like my 735xt. Even though the chest strap never bothered me THAT much, ditching it for the Pod has been nice. I enjoy having the running dynamics feedback, because I like having data to look at and compare over time. (If I'm honest with myself, I know it's not as useful as I want it to be. But I still like it!) It connects quickly. The battery is a limitation as it may not hold through some ultras, and the 935 is supposed to give you a full 24 hours with GPS. (Also good for full Ironman, whereas you have to be fast as all-get-out for the 735 to last.)

One advantage for the 735, though, is the size and weight. I have really skinny wrists, so a lot of modern watches (GPS or otherwise) are ridiculous on me. The 735 is a little smaller, narrower, and lighter than the 935. So, while it's still big on me, it's not too bad, but barely there lightweight, which is nice.

Edit: One more thing... Having a triathlon watch is a nice option, even if you're not competing in those. At the beach or lake, you know your watch will be fine in the water. And if you want to throw in some cross training in the pool or the on the bike, you've got a great feature set. (I enjoy the occasional swim. I've yet to decide on triathlons as I remain tentative on the bike part.)

I love my 935! I've had it for about four months now. I must admit I don't use the running dynamics pod, so I can't comment on that. I upgraded from the 225, so your 235 already has some features that I didn't have with the 225 (24/7 HR, smart notifications, Connect IQ), but I do like most the metrics the 935 provides, and it connects to satellites much faster than my 225.

I also like some of the software differences. The auto lap feature still works even when you are using a workout. On my 225, if I did 3x2mi, the autolap feature would be disabled and wouldn't work during the 2 mile intervals, but on the 935, it still does. I'm not sure how the 235 works in this regard. I also like that you can turn off or on the auto lap feature while you are already running.

I also haven't used the multi-sport features, but I think they are quite good as well.

In any case, I'm a big fan. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

That's great feedback. Thanks! A lot of what is holding me back is that I only use the watch for running and a lot of the multi-sport features add up to additional bells and whistles I don't need. How has it performed for you with HR locking on prior to running? My 235 has a weird quirk where it won't lock onto my HR unless I turn the watch off and back on just prior to running. It's a small thing, but it's annoying.

I entered a series of contests to try to win a 935 during the Tour de France, but alas, 'twas not to be.

I do, however, really like my 735xt. Even though the chest strap never bothered me THAT much, ditching it for the Pod has been nice. I enjoy having the running dynamics feedback, because I like having data to look at and compare over time. (If I'm honest with myself, I know it's not as useful as I want it to be. But I still like it!) It connects quickly. The battery is a limitation as it may not hold through some ultras, and the 935 is supposed to give you a full 24 hours with GPS. (Also good for full Ironman, whereas you have to be fast as all-get-out for the 735 to last.)

One advantage for the 735, though, is the size and weight. I have really skinny wrists, so a lot of modern watches (GPS or otherwise) are ridiculous on me. The 735 is a little smaller, narrower, and lighter than the 935. So, while it's still big on me, it's not too bad, but barely there lightweight, which is nice.

Edit: One more thing... Having a triathlon watch is a nice option, even if you're not competing in those. At the beach or lake, you know your watch will be fine in the water. And if you want to throw in some cross training in the pool or the on the bike, you've got a great feature set. (I enjoy the occasional swim. I've yet to decide on triathlons as I remain tentative on the bike part.)

Thanks for the feedback on the 735XT! I looked long and hard at that model along with the 935. It's got a really nice feature set, but what has me leaning towards the 935 are the additional training load and evaluation metrics that aren't on the 735XT. In addition, I really like that the 935 is based on the Fenix 5 platform. It's really just a Fenix 5 in a plastic case for less $$$. I think being part of that family will get it a longer support life and issues will be resolved more quickly since it's essentially part of the "flagship" line.

Yep. DC Rainmaker is the first stop when I go looking for fitness gear reviews. I've watched most of his videos on the 935 and it looks like a solid piece of equipment. He isn't sold on the running dynamics pieces, though, which are one of the big reasons why I would consider upgrading to the 935, so I wanted to see if anyone here had real-life feedback on their utility.

How has it performed for you with HR locking on prior to running? My 235 has a weird quirk where it won't lock onto my HR unless I turn the watch off and back on just prior to running. It's a small thing, but it's annoying.

I've had no issues with the HR on the 935. The 225 also had some quirks with HR, but the 935 has worked flawlessly so far.

I've had both the 735XT and the 935. They're very similar, so if the extra battery life isn't a big draw (I believe you can also pair the 735xt with the running dynamics pod). They're quite similar. The 935 does some automated exercise detection which is kind of cool. The heart rate is more accurate on the 935 - it has a higher sampling frequency. With both I've had slight issues that I like to wear my watch a little looser so I have to snug it up when I go running so it doesnt wobble and lose track of my HR.

I went through 3 735XT's before garmin set me up with the 935 - I think there's some slight issue with the waterproofing on the 735. I would swim 3x a week with it (in a saltwater pool if that caused issues maybe?) and after a few months they would just die.

I bought the 935 a couple of months ago. It is great for running. I customized my data to show pace, time, distance and elevation but you can add a bunch of other data fields. I use it for hiking, maps, swimming, and biking as well. It even has a feature called track me which captures you on gps. I use it for trips to the local amusement park or days when we are out on the boat. I prefer the 935 to the Fenix models because it is a little lighter. The software and features are exactly the same as the Fenix 5 but the housing is plastic instead of metal so it is lighter. I've had no issues with scratching the screen and it is still very tough material. I rely on steps and HR which the 935 covers well. Cost is a factor ($500) so you are using only as a running watch you may want to look at other less expensive models.

Another fan of the 935! I upgraded from the 220, and the difference has been amazing. I like the training stats, long battery life, the VO2 calculator..really just everything about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts