Anyone willing to share how much they spent?

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
Hi - I've been trying to price out some of the ABDs for a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child). But, I'm trying to get a better idea of what I should expect realistically (spending $, etc.). I'm very new to this so not sure I'm thinking of everything. We are looking at either Greece, Italy & Switzerland, Ireland or Scotland. They all seem to be in the same ballpark price-wise. Is anyone willing to share what they spent on any of those ABDs altogether? Thanks in advance!

In Greece, we spent almost nothing. It was maybe $500 (that included OYO meals, souvenirs, etc.). In Peru, we probably spent $1500! There was just so much we wanted to buy. We thought Peru was possibly the new normal but I think we spent no more that $500 on the trip we just returned from (Alaska). I think it really depends on the trip. In Peru, we bought art work, a lamp, and all kinds of stuff. In Alaska, we really bought no souvenirs and ate at simple, local places on our own time.

I know that does not really help but it lets you know once you make that initial large investment, there doesn't have to be a lot of additional money spent. In fact, I think we spend less on ABD than we do a Disney Cruise once all is said and done.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Are you asking about possible costs of meals for on your own time? Or a complete figure such as ABD tour, tips for the two ABD guides, flights, pre & post nights & OYO meals?

I think the most we've ever spent just for OYO meals and incidentals with ABD was about $300 for two people, and that may be figuring too high on that total. I've never kept a list of expenses per trip, but that's not a bad idea for the future!

If you include pre-nights and post-nights to your trip, that adds to the overall expense since you're paying for a hotel room for extra nights plus meals.

I agree with both posts for our spending depends on the area we visit. Alaska our only really purchases were dinners on your own. Europe on the other hand we bought a lot of souvenirs and really really good dinners. Switzerland is very expensive so plan ahead. One good thing that limits us is that we have to transport the "crap" back with us on the plane. That worked well until the vendors offered UPS shipping so "all bets are off now". LOL.

How did the pp get away with spending so little in Alaska !!! :) We blew the budget there. We did do a couple of days pre-trip in Anchorage and our souvenir budget was pretty large as that stuff (animals, wilderness, parks) really appeal to us. I think I normally budget $500 (for 2 adults) for souvenirs, then you add pre/post hotel and air fare. Our dining budget is also probably larger than most - as we are pretty big foodies. But we consider this all part of the experience!

I didn't do a tour, but I was in Switzerland last summer and everything was really expensive. For the Ireland ABD, for 2 people I spent $300+ on the free day at Dromoland alone (Falcon walk, clay pigeon shoooting, golf cart rental - just to drive for fun, not for golf). For Europe and US trips a couple of hundred dollars for OYO meals, again for 2 people, less for South America. On the Arizona/Utah trip, I spent more than $1000 extra because of the expensive OYO time activities, like the ATV tour. I don't spend a lot on souvenirs, except in Alaska where the kids were apparently competing to see who could buy the most stuffed animals.

How did the pp get away with spending so little in Alaska !!! :) We blew the budget there. We did do a couple of days pre-trip in Anchorage and our souvenir budget was pretty large as that stuff (animals, wilderness, parks) really appeal to us. I think I normally budget $500 (for 2 adults) for souvenirs, then you add pre/post hotel and air fare. Our dining budget is also probably larger than most - as we are pretty big foodies. But we consider this all part of the experience!
This trip had such a packed itinerary that there was not much time to shop (that's our secret!). Also, we did not do a big OYO activity. We were also shocked. Then, we went to Banff for 4 days on our own and all bets were off! Our budget was crushed.

This trip had such a packed itinerary that there was not much time to shop (that's our secret!).

Lol, we were recently discussing how little we spent and how little we brought back. We just didn't have time to do damage to our wallets!

In Greece, we spent almost nothing. It was maybe $500 (that included OYO meals, souvenirs, etc.). In Peru, we probably spent $1500! There was just so much we wanted to buy. We thought Peru was possibly the new normal but I think we spent no more that $500 on the trip we just returned from (Alaska). I think it really depends on the trip. In Peru, we bought art work, a lamp, and all kinds of stuff. In Alaska, we really bought no souvenirs and ate at simple, local places on our own time.

I know that does not really help but it lets you know once you make that initial large investment, there doesn't have to be a lot of additional money spent. In fact, I think we spend less on ABD than we do a Disney Cruise once all is said and done.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

I have never been on a land ABD tour but just got back from our ABD Danube River Cruise and spent very little out of pocket. I bought a few small things along the way and spent very little on our OYO meals (we just wanted to eat simple, local fare). I think I spent under $100 on everything.

I liked your reference to DCL. Since everything was included on our river cruise, including beer and wine at lunch and dinner, our onboard total for two people was a staggering $13.60. On DCL our onboard bill would be over $1,000 with drinks and merchandise. I loved the fact that all excursions were included and we really had no OOP expenses except for the one or two OYO time meals.

I think having no ABD product for sale helped keep our costs down. I asked why there was no ABD merchandise and the guides really had no idea but thought it would be a good idea. We had unexpected cool weather a day or two and I would have definitely bought an ABD sweatshirt but the AmaWaterways sweatshirt did not appeal to me so I did without.

I absolutely LOVED our trip.

MJ

I have never been on a land ABD tour but just got back from our ABD Danube River Cruise and spent very little out of pocket. I bought a few small things along the way and spent very little on our OYO meals (we just wanted to eat simple, local fare). I think I spent under $100 on everything.

I liked your reference to DCL. Since everything was included on our river cruise, including beer and wine at lunch and dinner, our onboard total for two people was a staggering $13.60. On DCL our onboard bill would be over $1,000 with drinks and merchandise. I loved the fact that all excursions were included and we really had no OOP expenses except for the one or two OYO time meals.

I think having no ABD product for sale helped keep our costs down. I asked why there was no ABD merchandise and the guides really had no idea but thought it would be a good idea. We had unexpected cool weather a day or two and I would have definitely bought an ABD sweatshirt but the AmaWaterways sweatshirt did not appeal to me so I did without.

MJ
I've asked a million times for them to sell ABD merchandise! I would certainly buy some. They had a few items years ago at the Online Disney Store, but there wasn't much, and hardly any selection (a polo shirt that only came in Small & Medium, stuff like that). I wish they sold stuff.

Sayhello

MJ

Yes, we LOVE DCL but we spend a small fortune every time we are onboard. We have found ABD to be actually much easier to plan for. We book on opening day and then have a nearly a year to get ready for that expense and then even for Peru (in which we were a bit out of control), we don't have tons of bill coming in after the trip. This was our 8th ABD so we are pretty sold on it but it was solidified this year that we likely not saving money on these cheaper up front trips.

I've asked a million times for them to sell ABD merchandise! I would certainly buy some. They had a few items years ago at the Online Disney Store, but there wasn't much, and hardly any selection (a polo shirt that only came in Small & Medium, stuff like that). I wish they sold stuff.

Sayhello

I leave this sort of feedback on every Disney survey that I'm asked to be a part of regardless of topic. Personally I'm addicted to Tommy Bahama brand clothing. To date I've found two polo shirts (one DCL and one Polynesian) and have cited those as examples of what I would like to see. Quality material with subtle Disney branding. I would buy a ton of this sort of clothing.

For our ABD trip expenditures we have only spent "extra" money on souvenirs on our Peru trip where we brought back some alpaca fleece sweaters, scarves and hats. For the most part our expenses are wine related in the evenings after dinner.

Lol. My AmaViola bill was an Earth-shattering $5.

So this is a little off topic (moderator, please move if necessary) but I just got back from a European ABD and on the last day, noticed one of the guests giving our bus driver a tip.
That made me really self conscious that I had not tipped the bus driver as technically, other than the guides (land trip), it was all supposed to be all included.

I ended up tipping the driver who did my ABD transfer to the airport cause I was a little worried maybe ABD wasn't tipping them? Anyway, my driver didn't act surprised when I tipped him. He just said thanks like any other driver I've ever tipped....

On a previous ABD, one of the guests tried to tip a local guide and our ABD guide actually stopped him, saying "believe me, he's been well compensated for his time. He's already been tipped."

I would not feel "self conscious" if I were you. Most workers in Europe don't expect any tip like here in America. Salary base is a little different. I do tip the driver also who transfers us from the airport. Our first time to Europe (Spain) we went out to dinner and paying the bill I added 20% tip. Boy, The waiter and workers could not do enough for us and thanked us over and over. Later I was told the "tip' was in the final bill so I guess I went above and beyond in the tip department.LOL.

So this is a little off topic (moderator, please move if necessary) but I just got back from a European ABD and on the last day, noticed one of the guests giving our bus driver a tip.
That made me really self conscious that I had not tipped the bus driver as technically, other than the guides (land trip), it was all supposed to be all included.

I ended up tipping the driver who did my ABD transfer to the airport cause I was a little worried maybe ABD wasn't tipping them? Anyway, my driver didn't act surprised when I tipped him. He just said thanks like any other driver I've ever tipped....

On a previous ABD, one of the guests tried to tip a local guide and our ABD guide actually stopped him, saying "believe me, he's been well compensated for his time. He's already been tipped."
Everyone except for the Adventure Guides *are* tipped by ABD. And, as your Guide said, from what I've heard, tipped well. You can, of course, give anyone an extra tip if you like, but it's not necessary. I've never seen anyone give the bus driver a tip, but I suppose some people do!

Sayhello

Good point Sayhello
I think I just thought that you couldn't tip extra since my first ABD, it seemed prohibited.
But that was the incident "caught" by the guide lol

The guides have always provided written information on what would be a typical tip for a meal in the various cities/countries we've visited.
But I have a hard time shaking my American way of tipping at restaurants either Carpenta but no one seems to mind lol

We tipped our ABD bus driver, in addition to the ABD guides. As did all the other guests. But we did not tip any local people - excursions, etc.

The FAQ for the Rhine River Cruise says that you don't have to tip.

Adventures by Disney has taken care of gratuities for all included meals and activities, such as tips for porters, housekeepers, drivers, activity providers, local experts and all crew. Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are also included.

The FAQ for the Rhine River Cruise says that you don't have to tip.
I was on what I called a "Land trip" lol, so not a cruise.

I'm familiar with what ABD says. But as DizMagic said, everyone on their trip tipped the bus driver.
I was more curious about the reality of who gets tipped despite ABD saying it's covered
And for housekeeping. I mean, how can ABD ensure that MY housekeeper received a tip? Anyway, just random thoughts during the really long flight home :fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter