Anyone with experience w/ Delta Skymiles?

minster22

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
I am very close to having the necessary miles for a ticket on Delta and working on the rest. I know I cannot buy tickets any further out than 331 days. Has anyone had a problem getting the flights they wanted with their Awards on Delta? Our plans are to go in 2004 as soon as the rates at WDW drop back to Regular season which we can only speculate on at this point. If we wait until they release the seasons dates for 2004 I am afraid that our good direct flights out of Boston will be gone. Anyone out there who can share their experience with this and how it went??? Thanks!!

Mom & I both have skymiles accounts, and both of us had enough miles for a free trip. I booked the flights about 3 months in advance by phone, since we were using two diffent skymiles account numbers, and therefore would have two differerent itinerary numbers, I wanted Delta to be sure and note that we were traveling together in case of flight/equipment changes. I had no problem booking the flights, you will have to pay the security fee for your ticket when you book ($10 when I booked, unless it has changed). I was informed that there is a $100 fee to change your ticket (just like economy). Other than that, it's just like buying a regular ticket. And your itinerary (along with any schedule/flight changes) will be available on Delta's website. AS far as you direct flights - sorry can't help you there - we flew SAT to MCO with a change in ATL.

I've book before using miles....if your slightly flexible about any possible connection I found it fairly easy to book....

Ummm. . .yes, I am familiar with Delta Skymiles and the key is FLEXIBILITY. You really can't pick out your ideal date and time itenerary and expect to use your FF miles on it. If your travel plans are flexible as to the time of day you fly and if the dates are somewhat flexible, it is fairly easy to get a Skymiles seat. You can check for what flights are available using Skymiles on the Delta website if you log on with your FF number and PIN.

An exception is if you are willing to spend DOUBLE the miles. .. then you can pretty much pick any flight!

Good luck, it can be frustrating to find acceptable flights using Skymiles. The farther out you can book, the better off you will be.

Peggy

I checked with DH who is a million mile frequent flyer with Delta and knows their system better than some of their agents do. He says to tell you the following-- If you are traveling at a popular time, such as school breaks or holidays, he recommends that you book as early as possible as there is a limited number of award seats available on each flight. (And, with all the airline cutbacks, that number keeps dropping-the airlines want revenue tickets!) Also check with Delta as to the blackout dates when no award seats are available. The more popular the destination, the fewer award seats and the faster they disappear. If you have some flexibility on your flights such as non-stop versus changing planes, you will also have more options. The availability of seats is blind luck-we have never found any rhyme or reason to availability or lack thereof. There are times that we have called 3-4 months out and nothing was available and then there have been times when we have called 2-3 weeks out and have gotten award seats. Just be prepared to be flexible on your arrival/departure dates and times.

Thank you everyone for your imput!! For us it is very important to get direct flights so it looks like it will be hit or miss for using our miles. We both work as waitresses so every day of our (unpaid) vacation is money lost and we do not want to miss precious vacation time sitting in airports. In our favor is the fact that we are going after school vacations and the end of spring break so we will hope the heavens sprinkle some pixie dust on us and all works in our favor. Thanks Everyone!!

Hope you can stand just one more reply...:D

I just checked into this last nite at Delta online. Here's an example...I'm debating whether to fly or just drive down for our next trip. I checked 2 different timeframes,...March and then mid-August. Its about a $200 roundtrip flight from OH. I have enough Skymiles to pay for one ticket. To me, the advantage of flying is being able to get there early in the day (9 am or so), be fairly refreshed...and have the rest of the day to do stuff.

The ideal flight for me would leave 5:55 am and arrive at mco about 9 am or so. There is such a flight available on those days. But if I want to use my 25,000 Skymiles...it's a restricted ticket. The flight schedule would have me leave OH about 8 am...change planes somewhere and not get in to mco till early afternoon. Thats just one of 4 tickets. I'd also be travelling with a child and a senior citizen...so either I drag them along on the hours of adventure or they take the direct, quick flight and come back to the airport and pick me up...all to save $200. I dont think its worth it. I'm just about convinced a 16 hr drive is better.

Sally, thanks and yes definately can stand another reply!! Thanks for sharing your story because that is exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. When you say "restricted ticket" I am not clear what you mean. Are you saying you are restricted to the other flight schedule and not having a direct flight or that the 5:55 am would be restricted in regards to changing dates and times? I am with you on spending the $200.00....the kind of adventure you are talking about with a child and senior citizen I would rather not have!! We also like to get on the plane early, fly direct and be at the checkin desk at WDW at 10 or 11 am!!

There are basically two kinds of tickets...restricted and unrestricted. Restricted means you fly under their rules (meaning in this case...the change of planes...leave at 8 am...arrive in early afternoon). Unrestricted means you can fly anytime you want...but you "pay" for that privilege. I can book the restricted ticket with 25,000 miles. I can also opt for the unrestricted if I want, but that will cost me 50,000 miles (I only have 35,000). Of course if I dont have enough, I can "buy" the extra miles to make up the difference. In this case, according to the Delta web site, it would cost me about $485 to buy the extra miles I need to get to 50,000. Considering the ticket without skymiles costs $200, I was somewhat (!??) amused by the offer.

I've done it both ways...driving straight down...and flying. I love the flying because you have the whole day ahead of you with (hopefully) little stress. But in this case, driving makes more sense.

I just got off the phone with Delta, trying to use my skymiles for Thanksgiving Day 2003. I can do it, but that would mean booking a one way ticket or waiting two weeks for my return flight to be available. I was going to book a one way ticket, because I'm worried that the skymiles seats will be gone in two weeks. But, I've decided to wait the two weeks and then see. Also, they did tell me there were no more black out dates, it's just on some days the number of award seats are more limited than others, so it pays to book early. This is why I wanted to book a one way ticket. Also, I was going to pay for coach and then upgrade with my miles to first class. Unfortunately, to do that, I would have to pay $650 for a one-way coach ticket and then upgrade to first class. Sorry this is so long and confusing, I think I've decided to wait two weeks and see what I can get.

Again, everyone thanks for sharing! pnelson....will you let me know how you make out with your tickets? It sounds like you are doing exactly what I am planning on when the time comes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter