Anyone worried about their upcoming trip due to possible war?

You are also headed to FL not CA - North Korea doesn't have the resources to reach that coast.

Reality is this is a non starter - the media blowing this ego match up for ratings. Korea would be absolutely crazy to take on the US on US soil.

You are also headed to FL not CA - North Korea doesn't have the resources to reach that coast.

Reality is this is a non starter - the media blowing this ego match up for ratings. Korea would be absolutely crazy to take on the US on US soil.
Well, he is crazy!!

I have a WDW trip in 60 days. I figure I’m prob safer on east coast then where I live on west coast where missles May be able to reach?

I’m currently in San Francisco and all is fine... except for my flight which was delayed 2 hrs. Got in at 11pm PT Thursday and we were wiped out.

I’m currently in San Francisco and all is fine... except for my flight which was delayed 2 hrs. Got in at 11pm PT Thursday and we were wiped out.
Ugh. Hate when that happens. Last month our flight to Florida was cancelled at the gate due to mechanical prob. So missed my connection and had to rebook entire thing. Took them 1.5 hrs to find us other flights, and finally arrived at 6am, the following day. I could have circumnavigated the world in that time! Was exhausted and when we got to hotel just crashed.

Is the OP serious?
I do believe so. Some of us have trouble with not worrying over things we have no control of -- spend more time ruminating over what others are able to move past. I think the initial question has been answered : will travel insurance cover if you cancel based on the possibility of war -- found out it doesn't.

I don't think you're nuts to be considering this possibility given everything that was said at the United Nations General Assembly meetings this past week.

I was away with DD last week and really didn't have access to news. What all was said at the meetings?

We have made a family decision to completely avoid any US travel for the foreseeable future. War is one of the reasons, civil unrest is another, a personal choice not to spend money in the US is also part of it.

That's as far as I'll go as I can't get into politics here

Us as well, to a degree. Definitely not to the extreme of completely avoiding the US. We live on a border town, and for starters our dentist is in the US, and the golf course and ski hill that we love is also just across the border, only 15 minutes away. We'll probably do some light traveling in the bordering states even. That said, we live in a very small, northern rural area, which quite honestly, is quite removed from the political/social/racial unrest that is taking over the southern US these days.

What we will be doing however, is avoiding any travel to major US cities, tourist destinations etc... until stuff settles down. Which means our Disney trip for next summer is off. We drive, and DH just is not comfortable driving 5000 km through areas that are increasingly conflicted. We saw some of the extremist mentality when we went in '05 that left us feeling a bit uneasy. Things definitely haven't gotten better since.

I was away with DD last week and really didn't have access to news. What all was said at the meetings?

During his address to the UN Trump referred to Kim Jong Un as "Rocket Man" and vowed to "totally destroy North Korea" That led to Kim Jong Un calling Trump mentally deranged and that he would "pay dearly" for the threats, and that North Korea "will consider with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hard-line countermeasure in history." Which then turned into a rather large "peeing contest" NK says we'll use hydrogen bombs and Trump tweets "Kim Jong Un of North Korea, who is obviously a madman who doesn't mind killing or starving his people, will be tested like never before!"

SO yes, some of us are slightly concerned about what is being said and how far it will escalate.

Last edited:
During his address to the UN Trump referred to Kim Jong Un as "Rocket Man" and vowed to "totally destroy North Korea" That led to Kim Jong Un calling Trump mentally deranged and that he would "pay dearly" for the threats, and that North Korea "will consider with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hard-line countermeasure in history." Which then turned into a rather large "peeing contest" NK says we'll use hydrogen bombs and Trump tweets "Kim Jong Un of North Korea, who is obviously a madman who doesn't mind killing or starving his people, will be tested like never before!"

SO yes, some of us are slightly concerned about whatnis being said and how far it will escalate.

Well, with two of the craziest people in the world engaging in a peeing contest... yeah, I can understand that.

Things happening down south worry me more every day.
I hope you don't feel bad for worrying -- if you're like me, being questioned about the legitimacy of your anxiety just serves to make you anxious of being anxious! As I've stated here and other places, I am having trouble keeping the concern about what's happening under control. Try to focus on your planning and realize that you will have a GREAT time once you actually get to Disney.

I honestly wasn't worried until a couple of weeks ago when I watched the 60 Minutes piece with Oprah's bipartisan focus group in Michigan. The most shocking moment for me was that the majority of panel participants raised their hands when asked "Who's worried about a civil war". The thought had not even crossed my mind until that moment, and now I can't get the thought out of my mind. Really? Civil war in the 21st century? And (apparently) many Americans are worried about it!

I hope you don't feel bad for worrying -- if you're like me, being questioned about the legitimacy of your anxiety just serves to make you anxious of being anxious! As I've stated here and other places, I am having trouble keeping the concern about what's happening under control. Try to focus on your planning and realize that you will have a GREAT time once you actually get to Disney.
I totally agree. If I had I said I was worried about possibly being in an airport shooting before our trip in January on here I'm sure lots of people would have rolled their eyes at me too. Guess what.. I was.. and the only positive to come from that is that when people run their mouth about how other people should feel and roll their eyes at someone's safety concerns , I dismiss them right away.
Do I think everyone should be quaking in fear? No. But I will NEVER make someone feel small or stupid for taking their safety seriously. TBH.. I am not comfortable in the United States right now. We went back twice after the Fort Lauderdale incident and we spent an awful lot of time looking over our shoulder. We are walking through metal detectors to get into theme parks.Announcements telling you if you "See something, Say something" are running in movie theatres. Other people can normalize that. I can't.

Last edited:
I totally agree. If I had I said I was worried about possibly being in an airport shooting before our trip in January on here I'm sure lots of people would have rolled their eyes at me too. Guess what.. I was.. and the only positive to come from that is that when people run their mouth about how other people should feel and roll their eyes at someone's safety concerns , I dismiss them right away.
Do I think everyone should be quaking in fear? No. But I will NEVER make someone feel small or stupid for taking their safety seriously. TBH.. I am not comfortable in the United States right now. We went back twice after the Fort Lauderdale incident and we spent an awful lot of time looking over our shoulder. We are walking through metal detectors to get into theme parks.Announcements telling you if you "See something, Say something" are running in movie theatres. Other people can normalize that. I can't.

You might as well stay in your basement and barricade the door. United States doesn't have a monopoly on crazy people randomly killing innocent people. Some folks in Edmonton going to a football game sure were not planning on being run down by a U-Haul van in the name of a religion. Going to a concert here or in Europe being blown up or shot at. If your time has come, your time has come, there is no way to prevent being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter