AP discount - when/how?

Disney102015

Mouseketeer
Thinking of getting an AP for a trip in the first week of November and have questions about potential hotel discounts.

My understanding is that I need an activated AP at check in but don't need an AP at all (activated or not) to book the room with an AP rate - is that correct?

How far in advance are AP discounts usually released, and what's the quickest way to find out about it when they do?

Thanks!

Thinking of getting an AP for a trip in the first week of November and have questions about potential hotel discounts.

My understanding is that I need an activated AP at check in but don't need an AP at all (activated or not) to book the room with an AP rate - is that correct?

How far in advance are AP discounts usually released, and what's the quickest way to find out about it when they do?

Thanks!
AP and FL resident rates are the very last discounts to be announced...long after the Disney Visa and general public discounts have been out. They tend to be the rooms that Disney couldn't move with the earlier discounts and they have limited availability. You can get a feel for when all discounts have been announced in the past by checking Mousesavers.com
https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/#codechart

It is correct you don’t have to have an AP purchased to book via an AP discount, but you are supposed to have it when you check-in (you may be asked to show it at check-in). To book an AP discount before purchasing an AP, you need to call - can’t do it online.

As to how to watch for when they are released, there will usually be a watch thread on the Discounts sub-forum - not a bad idea to ‘watch’ there and let the collective eyeballs of your fellow DISers help keep an eye out. :-) Many of us keep close tabs on when they are released.

Disney does not (typically) go out of their way to notify AP holders that AP discounts are available - so you have to be proactive.

And perhaps to state the obvious, AP discounts aren’t always a given. Sometimes availability can be good, sometimes not so much. Sometimes it’s not even a better deal than the current general public offer (looking at you Poly this summer, grrrr).

Hope that helps!

Coincidentally I just had the same question! I notice the GF has a very generous AP discount for July. It would be more beneficial for me to buy an AP, than book the Incredible Summer offer and 10 days of tickets.

My question, how long does it take to get an AP? Or how far in advance of my trip should I buy one? I want to wait until as late as possible to have more opportunity of possibly going on another trip before it expires. Even if I dont, I will still be ahead.

Also, I am going with my inlaws who will be in a different room. Can I book for them too, or does someone in their room need an AP too? I know they will never be back. They live overseas and we are taking them on this trip as a gift for my nieces.

My question, how long does it take to get an AP? Or how far in advance of my trip should I buy one? I want to wait until as late as possible to have more opportunity of possibly going on another trip before it expires. Even if I dont, I will still be ahead.
You will want to buy your annual pass at least 60 days before check in date so that you can make your fastpasses at 60 days out. The clock starts ticking on your pass when you activate it, which will probably be when you arrive at the first park. You can buy the AP online but you will have to go to a ticket booth to activate it. The annual pass also gives 10% discount on select table service restaurants and for merchandise purchases in the stores.

Also, I am going with my inlaws who will be in a different room. Can I book for them too, or does someone in their room need an AP too? I know they will never be back. They live overseas and we are taking them on this trip as a gift for my nieces.
You can book up to three rooms with your annual pass, which means that you will be able to book one for your in-laws when you book your room. :)

It is correct you don’t have to have an AP purchased to book via an AP discount, but you are supposed to have it when you check-in (you may be asked to show it at check-in). To book an AP discount before purchasing an AP, you need to call - can’t do it online.

As to how to watch for when they are released, there will usually be a watch thread on the Discounts sub-forum - not a bad idea to ‘watch’ there and let the collective eyeballs of your fellow DISers help keep an eye out. :-) Many of us keep close tabs on when they are released.

Disney does not (typically) go out of their way to notify AP holders that AP discounts are available - so you have to be proactive.

And perhaps to state the obvious, AP discounts aren’t always a given. Sometimes availability can be good, sometimes not so much. Sometimes it’s not even a better deal than the current general public offer (looking at you Poly this summer, grrrr).

Hope that helps!
But if you already have an activated or purchased pass that is linked to MDE you can book an available room only with passholder discount online. I did this last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter