AP info/plan?

JenniferFolsomCa

Mouseketeer
I hope to go for 3 nights maybe July/first week August? and figure if I buy a regular 3 day ticket that has one magic morning, then I can stay off site and go for 3 days using the tickets I buy with 1 day with the magic morning. I am waiting to see if they prioritize any type of ticket before I buy so that way we can definitely go. I live in No Cal so it is a drive down, but basically can leave almost any day but have to be back in time for kid school which I think starts August.

If I use the 3 day ticket, can I upgrade to an AP? How does that work? For those of you who had APs during the CoVid are they extending your time? What did they offer?

My hope is to get 3 night trip this summer, hopefully 3 nights at Thanksgiving and then maybe a 3 night visit next June? I am on the school schedule so not likely to be able to do other times.

Any suggestions?

Jenn

If I use the 3 day ticket, can I upgrade to an AP?
Yes as long as you upgrade before the end of Day#3 while the ticket booths are still open.

If the parks are open, any type of AP extension due to park closure won’t apply to your AP.

Thanks! I guess I was thinking that if we go July/August and upgrade to AP then and then want to go Thanksgiving 2020 or Winter 2020/2021 and IF it is closed wonder if they might extend it.

I recognize it has nothing to do with the current closure. I am trying to understand what they did for this closure so I can guess what they might do if it closes again...

Jenn

Also from NorCal and an AP holder for several years including currently. Also usually tied to a standard school schedule because I travel with my mom who is a high school teacher. We get Sig+ passes because of her schedule to allow us to go during her winter break when all lower tier passes are blocked.

Disclaimer: This information could change once they reopen/announce more information. We have zero idea how they will fully handle things for sure at DLR. Things have always changed from what they first announced several weeks back.

Yes. You can upgrade a ticket you purchased (comps, special tickets, charity tickets, etc often do not count) to an AP. The AP must cost more than ticket. This is how I usually get my AP personally since they took away the renewal discount a couple years ago. This past NYE, I used a 5 day PH w/MP that I got at a discount from an authorized third party to upgrade to a Sig+. Received full face value.

Current AP holders have two options based on whether they were paid in full or monthly. Paid in full may either accept an extension for the closure period or they can ask for a partial refund. Monthly can either accept waived payments during the closure period and no extension or postponed payments and an extension.

As you could not activate a pass right now, you would not under currently known information received an extension. You can buy an AP right now (cannot upgrade a ticket to one), but it will not be activated. We also don't know for sure when DLR will open.

SDL did something interesting and, in my opinion, quite fair to accommodate SDL APs (and existing ticket holders I believe) as they are currently requiring dated, single day tickets to be purchased as part of an advanced reservation system. SDL APs can reserve days with their passes (1 day in a 7 day period; reserved say must be used, expired, or cancelled to make a new one), but their passes will still be extended for the entirety of the time between the January closure date and the end of the advanced reservation system. We do not know if this or a version of this will come to DLR. But it's one possibility we might see or see a modified version of.

Honestly? I personally would not plan to purchase an AP during this unless you wanted to lock in the price for the next year (so buying a voucher to activate when things are more settled). I wouldn't even be planning to go for awhile if I didn't already have an AP. We don't know when things will open and there's a very good chance the experience could be drastically modified for a period of time. Especially with a schedule locked in to the more crowded times I would be cautious planning to buy a ticket with the intention of upgrading to an AP.

There's just too much unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!