Apple Watch - pros/cons

Yup. That's exactly it for my husband - he has a fleet of Omega watches (shhh ... don't tell him I got him another Constellation for Christmas). But when his FitBit died, he decided he needed something to work out with that would track stuff when he rides his bike to CrossFit and works out, but he could still get his emails and txts from writers, along with Twitter and score alerts. He also loves the silent alarm from the Vivoactive (he liked that on his FitBit too), and the Apple Watch didn't offer that.

I really liked the features on the vivoactive. 4 of my running buddies have that watched. It seems like a really good combination of fitness watch and a smart watch. I was looking at something like that, but I wanted the heart rate in the band. As a result I am looking at getting the garmin 235.

Totally understandable - but PLEASE don't think I mean anything untoward when I say this, but you're in high school - where school is your job! ... most of us here are adults with full-time jobs and completely different levels of disposable income that comes with the unfun things about being an adult.

Personally, every tech piece I own is Apple - I mean, we even have some little white tower thing that I'm not really sure what we need it for, but I'm told it's important. That said - we have NEVER early-adopted anything, not even Apple TV or the iPad or the iPhone. The iWatch was never going to be a purchase for us until we either 1) waited until it fit what we needed or 2) we tried something similar with limitations that we felt we were holding us back from what we needed.

We got the Vivoactive from Garmin and we haven't talked about the Apple Watch since. That said, the two are not the same - but they do a lot of the same things, and that's all we honestly needed.
I understand. I am also everything apple. I typically didn't wear a watch until a got a Fitbit charge. That served as my watch. Then the Apple Watch came out I waited a few months and decided I wanted to buy one. I haven't taken it off since. I will agree it's something I don't necessarily need but I like it for what it does. Probably what I should have done is looked into harming prior and I would've probably went with one of those. This is also my first 1st generation apple product.

Does anyone know if the Apple Watch will store heart rate data from your last workout if your phone is out of Bluetooth range? It seems like from the initial reviews from the 1.0 version of the software this is not possible, but I'm having trouble finding reviews based on the 2.0 OS.

I'm an early adopter. I have a ton of Mac stuff and to be honest for the first month I enjoyed it. Then I realized I got bothing extra from it. I already have a high end watch that fits my day to day wardrobe fine and I have a smart phone. I felt like I ended up realizing I don't need something that combines the 2 but still requires one of them.

To be honest I think smart watches are going to go the way of 3D t.v. as in they will be there but 90% of consumers won't use or purchase it.
You're probably right with the 3D tv analogy we have one and I used the 3D on it for about a month or two. However I think a lot of that has to go with the fact directv like stopped doing 3D programming.

Does anyone know if the Apple Watch will store heart rate data from your last workout if your phone is out of Bluetooth range? It seems like from the initial reviews from the 1.0 version of the software this is not possible, but I'm having trouble finding reviews based on the 2.0 OS.
I can't tell you for sure because I take my phone with me.

Yup. That's exactly it for my husband - he has a fleet of Omega watches (shhh ... don't tell him I got him another Constellation for Christmas). But when his FitBit died, he decided he needed something to work out with that would track stuff when he rides his bike to CrossFit and works out, but he could still get his emails and txts from writers, along with Twitter and score alerts. He also loves the silent alarm from the Vivoactive (he liked that on his FitBit too), and the Apple Watch didn't offer that.
I really like my Fitbit charge but I've had to get a replacement twice now. The first time the button just randomly came off. This last time the thing just stopped holding a charge. It was less than a year old both of the times. Luckily Fitbit was great about it and sent me a replacement both of the times. The second replacement arrived yesterday. I'm weird and wear my Fitbit on my right wrist and my Apple Watch on my left.

Will have to check out the vivioactive. I have a lot of running friends that use them since it works with their Garmin account.

Fiance wants an Omega but always wants the most expensive ones :rolleyes2. I wish I could afford to get him the one he wants for a wedding gift but my price rang is about 1/3 of what the one he is waiting for costs.
I really liked the features on the vivoactive. 4 of my running buddies have that watched. It seems like a really good combination of fitness watch and a smart watch. I was looking at something like that, but I wanted the heart rate in the band. As a result I am looking at getting the garmin 235.
I'm liking my vivoactive so far. The real test for me will be taking it on an outdoor run and comparing the stats to what I get with my trusty FR220 (seems like it should since they are both Garmins...). I didn't really look at the 230 (don't need the HRM so I wouldn't get the 235)...didn't realize that it has the smart notifications too. But there's no way I could have gotten it for the price I got the vivoactive for, so if the vivoactive performs well on my outdoor runs this weekend, I'll be happy.

ETA: Weird quirk...I'm pretty sure the vivoactive is tracking steps for me when I'm driving. That's something I read about before I bought it. Going to pay better attention today when I drive home. :confused3

I'm liking my vivoactive so far. The real test for me will be taking it on an outdoor run and comparing the stats to what I get with my trusty FR220 (seems like it should since they are both Garmins...). I didn't really look at the 230 (don't need the HRM so I wouldn't get the 235)...didn't realize that it has the smart notifications too. But there's no way I could have gotten it for the price I got the vivoactive for, so if the vivoactive performs well on my outdoor runs this weekend, I'll be happy.

ETA: Weird quirk...I'm pretty sure the vivoactive is tracking steps for me when I'm driving. That's something I read about before I bought it. Going to pay better attention today when I drive home. :confused3

Yeah the 220 is my current running watch. It is very good as running watch. I think the vivoactive is hard to beat at it's current price point. I really want hr rate in band to play with the V02max stuff though.

I was almost going to get the Vivoactive too on people's recommendations here, but I really want HR and no way am I wearing a chest strap!I'm with you, the 235 is my goal. Saving my allowance! : )

Great conversations here, once again!
Love everyone's input.

I was almost going to get the Vivoactive too on people's recommendations here, but I really want HR and no way am I wearing a chest strap!

Agreed. I love the price point of the vivoactive, but I also want the integrated HR monitor in the wristband.

Weird - I haven't noticed that (but I don't drive a whole lot and I don't pay super-close attention to it).

I do know when I turn it on for riding my bike that my steps don't increase, because I thought they might.

I also don't have my watch set to the "plan" that it comes set with - I manually entered in what goal I wanted to hit instead of allowing the watch/Connect determine what my goal would be.

Weird - I haven't noticed that (but I don't drive a whole lot and I don't pay super-close attention to it).

I do know when I turn it on for riding my bike that my steps don't increase, because I thought they might.

I also don't have my watch set to the "plan" that it comes set with - I manually entered in what goal I wanted to hit instead of allowing the watch/Connect determine what my goal would be.
I forgot to pay more attention to the steps before/after my drive home...and thus have stopped caring. :)

I figured that out about the manual goal and just set it to 10,000. You don't own me, vivoactive! :P

I forgot to pay more attention to the steps before/after my drive home...and thus have stopped caring. :)

I figured that out about the manual goal and just set it to 10,000. You don't own me, vivoactive! :P

Are you tired of it telling you to MOVE! yet??

I agreewith @flvy that it's a really personal choice. For some people it'll work out well, for others, not so much.

I really wanted an Apple Watch, but ended up not getting one because it didn't fulfill two of my big requirements...
1. I track steps for work (have been using a FitBit Charge to do this)...they have a program where if we track a certain number of steps each month, we get a big break on our health insurance premiums. They accept a few devices for step tracking, but the Apple Watch isn't one of them. When I was running I'd wear both my FitBit Charge and Garmin Forerunner 220, which was annoying, so I was really hoping to get one device that could be both GPS and step tracker
2. I wanted the watch to have stand-alone GPS usage, and with Apple Watch I'd need my phone (which you said you're okay with)

Later on I learned that the Apple Watch isn't water resistant...also a con as I know I'd constantly fear ruining it.
EDIT: This is wrong, it's water resistant but not water PROOF.

Yesterday I received a Garmin vivoactive in the mail. This is Garmin's version of a smartwatch, and I bought it because...
1. My employer has it on the list of compatible step tracking devices
2. It has stand-along GPS...which is HUGE for me
3. It's water-resistant, so I know I can sweat or take it out for a run in the rain and it'll be okay
4. What made me finally decide to pull the trigger after thinking about it for weeks...I got the watch for $149 (regular price $249)

Unexpected bonus: I was able to download a Homer Simpson watch face. :teeth:

I've only been wearing the watch since last night, and it's pretty lightweight and comfortable so far. It gives me all of my phone notifications (one just popped up from eBay): text notifications, email, phone calls, etc. I'm taking it out for an outdoor run on Friday and it it works well then, I'll be very pleased with it. :)
UPDATE: Did 2 outdoor runs with it and sent it back yesterday. It took way too long to find GPS and there was no clear way to tell that it had locked in to the satellites - it actually told me on the screen to start running, so I did (thinking it had found the satellites) and then 5 minutes later it was buzzing telling me that it had just now determined my location, so my run was messed up from there. Looking into the FR230 a little more closely. :)

The Apple Watch is my only first generation apple product and I'm happy with it. I stopped wearing any watch when I get my iPhone in 2009. In addition to using the watch for Runkeeper (which improved with watch OS 2.0 and now tracks heart rate), I love the Taptic text notifications, answering the phone and listening to voice mails on the watch, using Siri to set timers and alarms and using the onscreen notification to check the date and weather quickly. I typically use it 23 hours a day (including as a bedside clock).

I run with my phone. I also run in the early AM, so there is little chance of a phone call interrupting me, unless my DH is calling because he is worried.

I'm new to running, so can't compare it to another dedicated running watch. As with many things, I would guess that a dedicated running watch is better for tracking runs, but having a multiuse device like the Apple Watch may be "good enough". -- Suzanne

I ordered my Apple Watch on opening day and received it within the first week of release.

Its perfect for my runs with using runkeeper on my phone along with other workouts such as yoga or cardio classes at the gym.

I also had the want of a smart watch that looked nice. I got the silver banded one that is appropriate for work and I can switch it out for a rubber band when I'm doing my long runs easily.

I just got a Garmin Forerunner 235 this weekend. So far it seems to be a great combination of the top notch running features from my old Garmin 220, and some smart watch features, along with the HRM. The HRM has been a little inconsistent so far, but I am still trying to adjust to it, and find the perfect spot to wear it. It actually seems more reliable during running than other activities such as sitting on the couch.

One negative at this point is battery life. After two days of wear, with one 40 minute run, the battery was down to 20%, and like other Garmin's the watch does take a long time to charge. From review websites it seems this is a glitch that Garmin is aware of, and is attempting to fix through updates.

Thanks for all this great insight. I'd love the Vivoactive, but since it doesn't have the built in optical HRM that's off my list.

I've also looked in to the Fitbit Surge. Not ideal for me to wear to work, but at half the price of the Apple Watch it is appealing. Anyone have any experience with the Surge? Anyone know if it'll allow you to upload HR data after your workout if your phone is out of range?

I got the FR230 yesterday. On of my local running stores was having a "buy $100 in gift cards, get $20 in gift cards" deal, so I did that and used the gift cards to pay for the watch. I like it so far! :) It's basically the FR220 (which I have and love) + activity tracking + smart notifications. The real test will be taking it out on a run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter