Applying a discount/changing package reservation

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
I just spoke with a cast member on the phone (calling to inquire about getting 0% APR with the Disney Visa when paying for a Disney trip). I was questioning him about changing my reservation (which is currently a room/ticket package) if I wanted to purchase an AP in advance and remove tickets from my reservation.

He kept reiterating that a room only reservation and a package reservation have different confirmation numbers and were handled by different systems (?). So that if I wanted to switch to a room only reservation, I would be canceling my current reservation and booking another -- thus no payments would transfer, I would simply be refunded the money and book again.

Is this correct? It seemed like we weren't communicating well, although he was very nice, and I'm not sure my questions came across properly.

Am I correct that this only applies if I remove tickets and only try to book a room? IE, if I leave the package and only apply a package discount, will my reservation and payments stay as is?

Thanks for posting this I didn't realize that you were refunded for one reservation and charged for another. I always thought that the money would just transfer. However I'm not sure if this applies to a package. We have a package (room & tickets) booked for January and are waiting for Play, Stay, & Dine to come out. Does that mean I will have my paid up package refunded and the new promo re billed? We cancelled our September trip due to hurricane Irma and applied the amount to the January trip.

Thanks for posting this I didn't realize that you were refunded for one reservation and charged for another. I always thought that the money would just transfer. However I'm not sure if this applies to a package. We have a package (room & tickets) booked for January and are waiting for Play, Stay, & Dine to come out. Does that mean I will have my paid up package refunded and the new promo re billed? We cancelled our September trip due to hurricane Irma and applied the amount to the January trip.

From what I understand, altering a package to another form of package does not refund your money -- it retains the payments you have made and transfers to your modified reservation because it is not shifting to another system (the room only reservation system). The cast member was saying that if I wanted to add days to my package tickets, add dining, or apply something like Play, Stay, Dine, my payments would remain on the reservation as the reservation would only be modified and not canceled/rebooked.

From what I understand, altering a package to another form of package does not refund your money -- it retains the payments you have made and transfers to your modified reservation because it is not shifting to another system (the room only reservation system). The cast member was saying that if I wanted to add days to my package tickets, add dining, or apply something like Play, Stay, Dine, my payments would remain on the reservation as the reservation would only be modified and not canceled/rebooked.

You are correct. Since RO and packages are separate systems, you must cancel and rebook if you change from one to the other (you will also get a new confirmation number). If you make changes to a package but keep it a package, any payments made will transfer to that modified package and your confirmation number will stay the same.

I just called this morning and made a package reservation. After that she canceled my room only reservation and refunded my payment. At first she was going to use my room only reservation number until I changed to a package and then I got a new reservation number and made a new payment on the package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter