April 2018 is the best time for Disney....trip report

Just saw our original reservation info and hard to believe I've been this patient since 17 Mar 17. We leave 2 weeks from yesterday :yay: :drive:

Morrik hopefully the luck of the IRISH will stay with you With a safe speedy trip down and great sites that allow you and your merry band to be near each other. I would advise you while you still have time review Garneska's plans and adjust yours as you may see fit.
Before you take me wrong I have found in my communications with her Garneska and her husband to be super great peoples, but they are going to be joined at least part of the time by DGarnes mother of Garnes ka's husband and she is out celebrate. With extremely good reason mind you Still it might be a good idea to secure you children and men folk. The latest intel come from an NSA, NSS div. communication intercept that reads ; " As I prepare to arrive at the Magic Kingdom intent on fond memories to make. What magical adventures await? Homegirl, this trip is going to make LSD feel like aspirin!" You might want to take your cue from that

We'll be down in the Mouse House next weekend but staying over at Caribbean Beach on a Cast Member discount while it's still under construction. It's a short trip down Thursday and back Monday. The plan is AK on Friday and MK on Sunday. No plans to visit the Fort on this trip.

We have MK ADR's for lunch/dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern and BOG. I want to do BOG one more time before it flips to the 3-course prix fixe menu only later this summer. Because then it won't be in the dinner consideration rotation no more :sad2: (unless it's that once in a decade kind of thing).

The last time I stayed on property in a hotel was 1995. It was the Contemporary MK side in a tower room. DS#2 was a newborn and i would give him his nighttime bottle out on the balcony and we would watch the fireworks together.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Ed the lengths you go to for your kids is an example for the rest of us. Story about your son PRICELESS that is a memory to be remembered and cherished

Morrik hopefully the luck of the IRISH will stay with you With a safe speedy trip down and great sites that allow you and your merry band to be near each other. I would advise you while you still have time review Garneska's plans and adjust yours as you may see fit.
Before you take me wrong I have found in my communications with her Garneska and her husband to be super great peoples, but they are going to be joined at least part of the time by DGarnes mother of Garnes ka's husband and she is out celebrate. With extremely good reason mind you Still it might be a good idea to secure you children and men folk. The latest intel come from an NSA, NSS div. communication intercept that reads ; " As I prepare to arrive at the Magic Kingdom intent on fond memories to make. What magical adventures await? Homegirl, this trip is going to make LSD feel like aspirin!" You might want to take your cue from that
Morrik5: I think FtWMike tends to exaggerate a bit. I'm certainly looking for some Magic in The Kingdom, but I'm totally harmless!

We'll be down in the Mouse House next weekend but staying over at Caribbean Beach on a Cast Member discount while it's still under construction. It's a short trip down Thursday and back Monday. The plan is AK on Friday and MK on Sunday. No plans to visit the Fort on this trip.

We have MK ADR's for lunch/dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern and BOG. I want to do BOG one more time before it flips to the 3-course prix fixe menu only later this summer. Because then it won't be in the dinner consideration rotation no more :sad2: (unless it's that once in a decade kind of thing).

The last time I stayed on property in a hotel was 1995. It was the Contemporary MK side in a tower room. DS#2 was a newborn and i would give him his nighttime bottle out on the balcony and we would watch the fireworks together.

Bama Ed

Well we are at WDW now in a room over at cbr. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon and i am outside relaxing in one of the little shady patio furniture areas while the girls naps in the dark room with the AC on the "Frigid" setting. The FW equivalent is being outside under your awning/EZ Up while they sleep in the trailer.

We got in Thursday night at midnight (or would that be Friday morning) after working a half day Thursday and driving. Got 4pmg better with no trailer behind me thus no gas stop in Ocala. In fact once we gassed in Dothan it was 5 hrs+ nonstop to Disney. Nice cruising, little traffic at that hour. CBR is nice but it's still a motel. We are in one of the Pirate themed rooms which is cute.

Friday we rope dropped AK on about 4 hours sleep and then hopped to MK for dinner at The Plaza. We got to AK to get in line early to ride FoP on Standby (along with nearly everyone else). They let us in at 815 to queue up at the bridge into Avatar Land to wait until 9am.

The view behind me.

20180413_082710.jpg

The view in front of me.

20180413_082703.jpg

Judging by the tshirts, ball caps, and loud voices at close range, Penn State must have been on their spring break this week.

So rope drop came and went at 9am and we rode it and were out by 925 so not too bad timewise. Now that I am getting older, motion rides and rollercoasters like FoP and Space Mountain make me uncomfortable where they used to not to. But the exterior of FoP is beautiful no doubt.

20180413_121943_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20180413_122122_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the exit of FoP where the cantina is, Disney was experimenting with a new guest character interaction. It looked like the big robot suit Ripley used on the Alien in the movie "Alien" but was made out of plastic and squeaked as it walked with an actor sitting in the chest and talking on a microphone. Lots of Disney management watched (blue tooth ear pieces, short haircuts, dress shirts and slacks in the heat, and name tag lanyards hanging out of their pockets). TV cameras and hand held boom microphones recorded the event (maybe for review and script rewrites).

20180413_121446.jpg

20180413_121440.jpg

Here's my feedback: talks too much, sounds preachy, tin can speaker for the microphone needs to be replaced with something better.

We walked onto Dinosaur after that then used our FP for the Safari ride. The animals were out for their photo ops which was nice.

20180413_111426.jpg

20180413_111804.jpg

20180413_112202.jpg

20180413_111549.jpg

After using our FP for Expedition Everest and Navi River, we hopped over to the MK and I will too in the next post.

Bama Ed

PS - I did the math and it's been 12 years since I've been in AK during the day to ride rides, etc. and if it's 12 more years until I do it again, that would be ok with me.

Last edited:
Not too many pix of MK.

20180413_140142.jpg

20180413_140247.jpg

Dinner at The Plaza was good and we got out during the fireworks before the crowd. Back to CBR and blessed sleep.

After sleeping in today (you betcha), we headed over to the Cast Member outlet store, Cast Connections, for some outlet shopping thanks to DD our CM. As I've said before it's a non-descript building.

20180414_101124.jpg

Then we had lunch at the Poly. The central garden area in the lobby was really beautiful with all the lilies in it.

20180414_113942.jpeg

After Kona Cafe lunch, it was time for another Dole Whip in the souvenir bowl to take home. snowmedic, on the bottom of the bowl it says the bowl is not dishwasher safe and i top rack washed mine and now it's a little crooked. Don't make my mistake. It's still usable but I got a second one.

20180414_130810.jpg

Next DD wanted to go buy some Cast Member-only merchandise at the store Company D which is inside the Disney University (training) building behind the MK. I couldn't buy anything (not a CM, duh) but back stage is just a lots of warehouses.

20180414_134523.jpg

On the way out back toward the Contemp to the room for a swim (me), nap (girls), we went past the MK Roundhouse where the trains and monorails "sleep".

Resized_20180414_134956_5460.jpeg

Resized_20180414_135003_3719.jpeg

And finally they are pushing dirt around outside the train tracks by Space Mtn I guess for the coming Tron roller coaster ride.

Resized_20180414_132959_7922.jpeg

Resized_20180414_132950_223.jpeg

I'll wrap up for now in the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Dinner tonight will be over at the Contemp at The Wave. I would like to boat over to the Fort after to walk around in the evening if the girls will let me.

The Caribbean Beach Resort is nice, sure, but I miss the Fort, campers, and squirrels.

20180414_150008.jpg

And what I miss the most are the sounds. No bus brakes, no boat toots, no train whistles. And no porch music (no rocking chairs either).

Bama Ed

PS - MK tomorrow (LTT for lunch and BoG for dinner) then home on Monday.

Last edited:
We are in for the night on Saturday. We did eat at The Wave and it was good. And the girls did go with me on the boat to the Fort afterward as it was getting dark - we hit the Fort dock a few minutes before 8pm. The dock lights came on automatically as we pulled in and tied up.

20180414_194619.jpg

20180414_194628.jpg

It felt weird and good all at the same time to be visiting the Fort but not staying there. I headed up to the porch to get my feet up for a picture. Unfortunately, the folks waiting for the late HDDR and to get into TE had filled the porch and no chairs were available. So I did the best I could.

20180414_195127 (1).jpg

20180414_195046 (1).jpg

Okay I had to sit on the aluminum bench of a picnic table.

Good to see the spanish moss and hear the porch music.

20180414_195222 (1).jpg

Squirrels and bunny rabbits ran in front of me as I went up through 100 and headed for the campfire singalong. It had already started but I wanted to see some classic FW in action. It did not disappoint.

Along the way I saw a new take on the round wooden sign in loop 600.

20180414_200839.jpg

Also in 600 some lights gave life to the front window of an rv.

20180414_201516.jpg

Walking onto the bridge out of 600, you can hear the singing before you see it.

20180414_200918.jpg

20180414_201203_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20180414_201057_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A good sized crowd. And I haven't specifically said so yet but the weather has been absolutely perfect the last few days. A little crisp in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and clear/mild in the dusk and shade. Very nice. But a chance of rain tomorrow.

I've hit my 10-pix limit for this post and since I have a few left, I will roll to the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
The girls wanted to head back to CBR and get ready for the night so I headed back to the dock. The middle HDDR had let out and there was a LONG line for the big boat (back to the rental building on the beach) on the left side but I walked all the way down to the rope on the right side for a Contemp boat.

A big boat came in to take the HDDR's back to MK for transportation to whereever....

20180414_202729.jpg

... and a little boat soon hove around the corner and up to the dock for me.

20180414_202719.jpg

As we pushed back, I took one last snap of the Fort dock. I had barely spent 30 minutes there but I am glad I made the effort to.

20180414_203240.jpg

We made it back to the Contemp as the Pirate Fireworks barges were leaving. The MK fireworks were about 15 minutes away so we hustled off the dock and to our car in the Contemp parking lot.

20180414_204044.jpg

20180414_204615.jpg

As I was driving in front of the TTC and Poly, the first fireworks went off over the MK to my right. As we circled around and headed south on World Drive towards 192, I could see the Illuminations fireworks from Epcot on my near left and the Star Wars fireworks from DHS far down on the left (by this time the MK fireworks were in my rear view mirror). Literally. Naturally I tried to keep my eyes on the road but I was surrounded by three sets of fireworks.

So we are in for the night. Rope drop tomorrow and all day at MK maybe till close at 11pm. I might post again Monday night if I get home in time but if not it'll be Tuesday until I close out my contribution to the April trip report thread.

Night ya'll. :wave2:

Bama Ed

Spectacular trip report Bama Ed. The pictures of the crowd at FoP look eerily similar to the amount of people in the picture you posted of the Bama Championship rally :scared:

Ed Happy to see you were able to make it over to Ft W even if it was just just for a quick visit. Hopefully it eased any withdrawal symptoms you may have been experiencing.
I trust that you have truely thanked for giving up part of your limited time at AK to observe and critique the field trials of Mrs. Bert's Mom customized EVC/ Touring platform. I did dot see any mention of a horn or other warning device. I Guess that she has decided the speaker blaring Gretchen Wilson's " Here for the Party" and "Redneck Woman" are sufficient

It’s packing and cleaning day. I like to leave the house clean before vacation. That means cleaning this weekend. I scrubbed the bathroom on Friday. Plan is to prepare meals for the week today and then clean the kitchen. We have to vacuum will do the thorough job today then a quick vacuum on Thursday night or Friday morning. With the kids you can never vacuum too much. We still need to pack, that will hopefully happen later today.

Yesterday we had the dogwood festival, we started the day with a 5k race. It was a lot of fun and the start is half a mile from the condo. Bert ran a PR and he beat me by 41 seconds. He is gloating all week while he can, as I am expecting to beat him in the half marathon. He is holding his streak though, he beats me in the 5k but he can’t hold on for the 10k. Once the event goes more than 5k I usually win. He got second in his age group. I got first in my age group. I hit my target goal which was to run under 24 minutes. We then showered and went back and enjoyed the festival.

I guess I should get off the boards and start cleaning.

I am back home and going to put a wrap on my contribution to this monthly trip report. We got back last evening about 7pm and although I poked my head into a few threads, I wanted to put a bow on this one from my angle.

When I last left this thread it was raining lightly Sunday afternoon at the MK. We hung around till 330pm waiting for the parade to start but we kept getting the "delay" announcement over the loud speakers on Main Street several times. Since we had briefly been at the MK on Friday, we headed back to CBR for a nap and a rest - time to recharge our own batteries so to speak.

With a 9pm ADR at Be Our Guest and an 11pm closing time, we left the hotel about 715pm. Wait times were really low for stuff so we wanted to take advantage of the weather which, as I said, was not a pouring rain but enough to require a poncho.

We got on Main Street and found it pretty deserted and the people that were there were mostly heading for the exit. I had plenty of elbow space to myself .

20180415_194903.jpeg

Yes, that is DD to the right side of the photo in the matching poncho scowling at me for "embarrassing" her (I told her that's what parents are for). The posted wait time for 7DMT was 35 minutes so we went Standby on it since we hadn't ridden it this trip (DW will ride it which is good). It took 45 min but it was fun and BoG was right around the corner from the exit. We checked in there, requested the West Wing dining room, and got it (always been assigned a table in the much larger Main Ballroom dining room on past visits). I've walked through the West Wing once on a past trip but spent more time doing so after I ordered and it really is a well themed space.

After dinner we moseyed out and went back to the room.

Thanks for following along on my portion. I'll go back into lurk mode as I follow this (and other) trip report threads.

Bama Ed

PS - garneska, temps will be in the 60s on Sunday morning down there. Good luck on the Dark Half to you and Bert!

Ed I have been weather stalking. Temps look ok worried about the humidity. Rest of the week for vacation looks terrific though. So far work is kicking Bert’s butt. I am not sure what happened but routine is off and I can’t get up in the morning. I keep trying. Hoping to get started with some of the packing, a very small amount tonight. Looks like Thursday night will be a flurry of activity.

Yes, that is DD to the right side of the photo in the matching poncho scowling at me for "embarrassing" her (I told her that's what parents are for).
It's past that point with my kids now. It's kinda a contest t see who can embarrass who. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter