April 20th, 2018 5-Night Bahamian from Miami (Key West, Nassau, Castaway Cay)

Hi, my name is Rachel and I just booked our very first Disney Cruise! I'll be sailing with my boyfriend and our 8 year old daughter. We visited Disney World last year for the first time and we've been itching to go back. I've been reading up on lots of tips from where to eat to what to pack.
Our daughter will be celebrating her 9th birthday on the 23rd so we're all really excited for that! We hope to meet new people and look forward to making wonderful memories!

:welcome: Rachel!

I hope some of your tips were from the DCL Faq thread on the main disboard cruise page. It's a massive thread, relating to all the boats and ports of call, but worth digging through. Here's a link:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-dcl-faq-new-alphabetical-listing-of-dcl-information.2068966/

Ask any questions you want. My 5 biggest tips are:

1-Dress your kids in bathing suits for embarkation as you may not have access to your room or luggage right away and the pools are open and less full before the safety drill. The Aquadunk may be open too. That thing is kinda scary. I didn't do it at all on the Wonder last year.

2-The snack stand outside the Buena Vista Theater is not free. popcorn:: I don't know why. Everywhere else it is, except for alcohol, smoothies, and specialty coffee drinks. So, if you're headed to a movie, go to deck 9 first to grab drinks pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, sandwiches, etc.

3-Bring your kids to the Kids' Clubs the first day-preferably the open house if they are not swimming the whole time-definately when they open after the safety drill. They make friends easier and bond with the counselors easier. I guess it's like missing the first day of school.

4-If anyone feels seasick there is free medication right outside the health center, but it will knock you out. It does me. A better way is too pay for a can of ginger ale at the bar. (The free drink station doesn't have real ginger ale) If you know one of your kids suffer from car sickness, a little preventative ginger ale in the afternoon might save an uncomfortable first seating dinner. That's around the time we are approaching crossing waters at the end of Florida.:boat:

5-Try to get your unpacking done before the ship starts moving. I do it right away as I tend to get a little seasick the first night. I find it's harder to unpack after the ships starts moving. I tend to do it while waiting for the Safety Drill alarm.

Last edited:
:welcome: Mrs. Nesbitt.

Congratulations on your first cruise. Sailing DCL is addictive. I warn you!

Lots of birthdays and anniversaries here. DCL will know about the birthdays from your dates on your reservations. They will trott out a cake at dinner with the waiters singing to you. Anniversaries you have to let them know. If you didn't let them know when you made the reservation, you should sent them an email. It's just like the parks with family celebrations-Disney gives a little pixie dust. :tinker:

Thank you! One of my favorite things about Disney is how special they make you feel on your special days. We got married at Disney and spent our honeymoon and every one of our anniversaries there. We've also spent every one of my sons 5 birthdays in the parks, so this will be the first one where we do something a little different. I don't expect it to be any less magical though!

:tink:

Hi, my name is Karina and we just booked our first Disney Cruise and can't wait to experience the Disney difference! Cruising with my hubby, DD(7) and DS(1). Both my daughter and husband are celebrating birthdays on board.

Hey guys we are going on this cruise too and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about pirate night. I know it’s usually on thanks Bahamas itinerary but our cruise looks like it only has a sail away celebration. Also does anyone know what the five night dining rotations look like? Our last cruise we knew what the three rotation schedules were so we were able to request a certain rotation and plan ahead. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1E1EC582-62D5-4698-B1FA-C73D3F559765.png
    1E1EC582-62D5-4698-B1FA-C73D3F559765.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 6677A7EB-B90E-41A8-B0C3-7FC888F42188.png
    6677A7EB-B90E-41A8-B0C3-7FC888F42188.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Just put the deposit down on this cruise this morning. This will be my and DH 5th cruise (4 other Royal Caribbean Cruises) and kids 11 and 9 second (1 on Royal) but first Disney cruise for all!! Totally excited about this. Already have a bunch of ideas for fish extenders. This is going to be a surprise cruise for the kids. I have always wanted to surprise them for a trip. Don't know HOW I am going to keep it a surprise?!?! LOL. But should be worth it in the end.

Has anyone heard about any fish extender groups for our cruise yet? I have not been able to find one on here or fb. Been combing pinterest for ideas.

We're new to Disney Cruising but big fans of Disney and looking forward to the change. We'll be traveling with our DD and are hoping to join a fish extender group. Has anyone set one up? Thanks to everyone for posting tips and recommendations.

My husband, my 4 year old DD, and my parents will all be sailing on our first Disney cruise! We are very excited. We would also be interested in joining a Fish Extender group.

Hey y'all!!
My name is Getchell and this will me my Wife and I's second cruise with Disney. We're from Nashville, TN. Our first was on the Wonder back in March, 2016. We are extremely excited and cannot wait for April 20th to come around. We went on a Carnival cruise earlier this year with a group of friends (they didn't want to spend the extra money to do a Disney cruise) and for the majority of the cruise, my Wife and I could not stop wishing we were back on a Disney Cruise. Don't get me wrong, we made the best of it, but nothing compares to the "magic" of Disney. Plus, we are not "party" people and generally don't like the night life, which Carnival thrives on. We have no children (yet), but we're young at heart and pretty much live and breath Disney. This will be for our 3rd year anniversary, despite our anniversary actually being on March 28th. Anyways! Looking forward to seeing some of you on the ship!

Hey guys we are going on this cruise too and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about pirate night. I know it’s usually on thanks Bahamas itinerary but our cruise looks like it only has a sail away celebration. Also does anyone know what the five night dining rotations look like? Our last cruise we knew what the three rotation schedules were so we were able to request a certain rotation and plan ahead. Thank you.

I believe pirate night is on the 23rd

My husband and are are cruising for the first time with our 4 year old son. He will turn 5 while cruising.

We were initially booked for this cruise in January but had to cancel due to Zika and extreme morning sickness. We are technically booked to go to Disneyland during this time but since the Zika advisory has been lifted, we are going to continue to monitor the CDC map and will make a final call about 3 weeks before sailing if all is still clear. This pregnant lady is REALLY hoping she gets to relax on a cruise. I'm excited for Disneyland, but it's exhausted when you aren't pregnant! We will be doing a day at MK prior to cruise if we do change our plans. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

My husband, my 4 year old DD, and my parents will all be sailing on our first Disney cruise! We are very excited. We would also be interested in joining a Fish Extender group.
Hello we are also on our 1st Disney Cruise and interested in joining a Fish Extender group!

:welcome: Rachel!

I hope some of your tips were from the DCL Faq thread on the main disboard cruise page. It's a massive thread, relating to all the boats and ports of call, but worth digging through. Here's a link:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-dcl-faq-new-alphabetical-listing-of-dcl-information.2068966/

Ask any questions you want. My 5 biggest tips are:

1-Dress your kids in bathing suits for embarkation as you may not have access to your room or luggage right away and the pools are open and less full before the safety drill. The Aquadunk may be open too. That thing is kinda scary. I didn't do it at all on the Wonder last year.

2-The snack stand outside the Buena Vista Theater is not free. popcorn:: I don't know why. Everywhere else it is, except for alcohol, smoothies, and specialty coffee drinks. So, if you're headed to a movie, go to deck 9 first to grab drinks pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, sandwiches, etc.

3-Bring your kids to the Kids' Clubs the first day-preferably the open house if they are not swimming the whole time-definately when they open after the safety drill. They make friends easier and bond with the counselors easier. I guess it's like missing the first day of school.

4-If anyone feels seasick there is free medication right outside the health center, but it will knock you out. It does me. A better way is too pay for a can of ginger ale at the bar. (The free drink station doesn't have real ginger ale) If you know one of your kids suffer from car sickness, a little preventative ginger ale in the afternoon might save an uncomfortable first seating dinner. That's around the time we are approaching crossing waters at the end of Florida.:boat:

5-Try to get your unpacking done before the ship starts moving. I do it right away as I tend to get a little seasick the first night. I find it's harder to unpack after the ships starts moving. I tend to do it while waiting for the Safety Drill alarm.
Hello
After a lot of searching I found a group on FB for our cruise that has a fe sign up. Search for Disney magic April 20, 2018. If anyone has any problems finding it let me know.

After a lot of searching I found a group on FB for our cruise that has a fe sign up. Search for Disney magic April 20, 2018. If anyone has any problems finding it let me know.

Hello very new to this but we are looking for help finding a Fish Extender group for April 20 Magic cruise. Any help is appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts