APRIL WISH Goals - Monthly Thread

My weekends are a disaster! I take my mum, who has Alzheimer's disease, out to get her hair done on a saturday and then out for a drive and lunch. She likes me to eat the same thing as her as she has lost the ability to know when to cut food up/use cutlery or if it's ok to use her hands and so she copies what I do, so as you can imagine it's not always easy to persuade her to go the healthy route and I don't have the heart to make it more difficult for her to enjoy our lunch out. Also depending on how stressful the outing is I can be in dire need of a glass of wine come evening though I am at least trying to go for a walk first if I have the energy but sometimes I simply dont! Not an excuse really but it is what it is and I need to plan for it given that it's a regular thing. I have mum Tuedays and Thursdays too but somehow it's the Saturday that derails me. Open to any suggestions -salads are a no go as mum just turns her nose up. Bit like a 2year old in dining tastes.

I feel with you, my mother has Alzheimer's disease as well. I think it is wonderful that you try to give your mother an outing on Saturday that is something that she can enjoy! Try to enjoy it yourself as well and don't worry about the calories too much. You could always try to bring a healthy snack for yourself and eat that before or after the meal and only eat half the portion of whatever unhealthy food she wants. My mother unfortunately lost her enjoyment of good food quite early on (we think that she lost her sense of smell) and it was so sad to see how this was not giving her joy anymore. Ultimately, time with your mother is priceless, getting to goal two or three months earlier or later is just a blimp in comparison. :hug:

I feel with you, my mother has Alzheimer's disease as well. I think it is wonderful that you try to give your mother an outing on Saturday that is something that she can enjoy! Try to enjoy it yourself as well and don't worry about the calories too much. You could always try to bring a healthy snack for yourself and eat that before or after the meal and only eat half the portion of whatever unhealthy food she wants. My mother unfortunately lost her enjoyment of good food quite early on (we think that she lost her sense of smell) and it was so sad to see how this was not giving her joy anymore. Ultimately, time with your mother is priceless, getting to goal two or three months earlier or later is just a blimp in comparison. :hug:

Thank you for the kind words. You are so right -much better to enjoy time together while it's still possible. Sending you hugs and strength as well to deal with your mother's illness :hug:

My weekends are a disaster! I take my mum, who has Alzheimer's disease, out to get her hair done on a saturday and then out for a drive and lunch. She likes me to eat the same thing as her as she has lost the ability to know when to cut food up/use cutlery or if it's ok to use her hands and so she copies what I do, so as you can imagine it's not always easy to persuade her to go the healthy route and I don't have the heart to make it more difficult for her to enjoy our lunch out. Also depending on how stressful the outing is I can be in dire need of a glass of wine come evening though I am at least trying to go for a walk first if I have the energy but sometimes I simply dont! Not an excuse really but it is what it is and I need to plan for it given that it's a regular thing. I have mum Tuedays and Thursdays too but somehow it's the Saturday that derails me. Open to any suggestions -salads are a no go as mum just turns her nose up. Bit like a 2year old in dining tastes.

We've been blessed to have had little experience with Alzheimer's in my family, just my maternal Grandmother who had it later in life. My heart goes out to you and you Mum.

Thanks piglet. It's a hideous blimin disease. I once heard it described as "the long goodbye" and that's exactly what it feels like. My mum is also physically strong but this woman who was an amazing homecook and so fussy about her appearance and table manners has now lost the ability to wash unaided or even fetch herself a glass of water as there are simply too many things to process in order to do these things successfully. Her consultant did say that to improve our chances of a healthy brain in old age we should eat for a healthy heart now and follow a Mediterranean style diet so there's another reason for us all to aim for healthy :)

I have heard about this diet and something I should really try. I have it all sides of my family. Do feel like I am cursed to get it but I should do everything I can to prolong it. I have thought about getting tested to see if I have the gene (I think that is what they check) but I think that it would be to hard to hear if it was a yes.

I have heard about this diet and something I should really try. I have it all sides of my family. Do feel like I am cursed to get it but I should do everything I can to prolong it. I have thought about getting tested to see if I have the gene (I think that is what they check) but I think that it would be to hard to hear if it was a yes.
Recently on the news they had a story about new brain-scan testing that is being developed for earlier detection. I think it is not yet readily available but made a note to keep track and do it when it is.

I once heard it described as "the long goodbye" and that's exactly what it feels like.

I have never heard it call this before but it's truly really fitting. My cousin left her home and life in Hawaii to take come home to care of her mom who had it, and I remember her telling me she was so shocked and unprepared for what she was signing up for. Such an awful disease!

:grouphug: Virtual hugs to all of you dealing with Alzheimer's and it's effects your loved ones.

I have this personal rule, that if I hear something two or more times in a short period of time, particularly from unrelated sources, it is something I really need to pay attention to. Lately eating "plant based" keeps coming up, so it is something I feel like I need to look in to. In some respects it's daunting to think about that type of eating program because it requires intention, planning and commitment - all things I rarely succeed at. I can, and often do, go without animal protein, but from what I'm seeing you also eliminate animal by-products like dairy, by by milk or cheese. One IG friend posted yesterday about making her own hemp based "milk"... yikes, I can barely get my veggies in to the blender on a regular basis. But I do know it is something I need to explore - has anyone else tried it?

So I can weigh in a little on this. I watched a few documentaries and read some books which made me think I should go vegan for ethical as well as health reasons. This was right before it got to be as "trendy" as it is now. So it was a little difficult to go out and things like that, but I found if I put my mind to it, and planned it all out, it wasn't too bad. DH and I had a fun time exploring new recipes. We lasted about 9 months but then were going on our honeymoon and I wanted all the French cheese! We've discussed doing it again, but haven't committed.

Things I loved:
- Earth Balance vegan butter on a slice of toasted sourdough!
- Veggie/hummus pizzas
- nut milks
- vegan cookie dough (no raw egg guilt!)
- lost weight easily (despite enjoying the aforementioned cookie dough - in somewhat moderation haha!)
- never felt bloated (like that yucky dairy bloat)

Things that weren't so great:
- social situations (I would have to bring my own food usually or modify lots of things)
- I missed cheese TERRIBLY and never found a good substitute (although a homemade cashew cheese made with nutritional yeast was a yummy ricotta like substitute for pasta dishes!)
- making sure I was getting enough protein (but it was easier than I initially thought-- a little research into protein rich beans went a long way)
- having to not only meal plan but get myself to Whole Foods to find some of the more funky items (and I found shopping there to be so much easier than a regular market since all of their 365 brand items that are vegan are marked with a V - vegan logo on the back)

Overall, I really enjoyed it and even managed to do it while on a week vacation. I wasn't perfect at it... I just came at it from a playful adventurous spirit of "I think this is a good thing for my body and for the animals so let me just try this and see." It was also interesting to try and learn what I thought I couldn't live without that I actually could. For example, I kept on with the nut milks. We haven't had dairy milk in the house (with the exception for holiday baking) in years... and I don't even miss it.

It's a personal choice and commitment though for sure -- but if it's something you really want to try, I'd say give it a shot for a few weeks. There are some good easy options out there now that it's a more popular life style choice. :thumbsup2

I have never heard it call this before but it's truly really fitting. My cousin left her home and life in Hawaii to take come home to care of her mom who had it, and I remember her telling me she was so shocked and unprepared for what she was signing up for. Such an awful disease!

:grouphug: Virtual hugs to all of you dealing with Alzheimer's and it's effects your loved ones.

So I can weigh in a little on this. I watched a few documentaries and read some books which made me think I should go vegan for ethical as well as health reasons. This was right before it got to be as "trendy" as it is now. So it was a little difficult to go out and things like that, but I found if I put my mind to it, and planned it all out, it wasn't too bad. DH and I had a fun time exploring new recipes. We lasted about 9 months but then were going on our honeymoon and I wanted all the French cheese! We've discussed doing it again, but haven't committed.

Things I loved:
- Earth Balance vegan butter on a slice of toasted sourdough!
- Veggie/hummus pizzas
- nut milks
- vegan cookie dough (no raw egg guilt!)
- lost weight easily (despite enjoying the aforementioned cookie dough - in somewhat moderation haha!)
- never felt bloated (like that yucky dairy bloat)

Things that weren't so great:
- social situations (I would have to bring my own food usually or modify lots of things)
- I missed cheese TERRIBLY and never found a good substitute (although a homemade cashew cheese made with nutritional yeast was a yummy ricotta like substitute for pasta dishes!)
- making sure I was getting enough protein (but it was easier than I initially thought-- a little research into protein rich beans went a long way)
- having to not only meal plan but get myself to Whole Foods to find some of the more funky items (and I found shopping there to be so much easier than a regular market since all of their 365 brand items that are vegan are marked with a V - vegan logo on the back)

Overall, I really enjoyed it and even managed to do it while on a week vacation. I wasn't perfect at it... I just came at it from a playful adventurous spirit of "I think this is a good thing for my body and for the animals so let me just try this and see." It was also interesting to try and learn what I thought I couldn't live without that I actually could. For example, I kept on with the nut milks. We haven't had dairy milk in the house (with the exception for holiday baking) in years... and I don't even miss it.

It's a personal choice and commitment though for sure -- but if it's something you really want to try, I'd say give it a shot for a few weeks. There are some good easy options out there now that it's a more popular life style choice. :thumbsup2

Thanks! As I mentioned it will require me to do the very things I am not good at... which should be a good thing but will be a huge challenge. But I do think I need to give it a try - even if I can only get to 80/20, that should be a significant improvement.

It's Friday!! So happy that it is the last day of the week - but work is so crazy at the moment that I will have to work over the weekend. The good thing is still that it will be weekend and hopefully a few hours both days will get me to where I need to be!

The scale was more friendly today. Still feeling like I am totally bloated with water. I am starting to get concerned that there might be a medical issue why I am suddenly retaining so much water. Will have to look out for it and will talk to my doctor in a couple of weeks when I have an appointment about something else.

I am feeling great with the few changes I made. Sometimes changes are really good for getting motivation to be more strict to yourself and more disciplined. I once read thatyou ought to change where you run regularly because that will help you have more energy during your runs if you are not bored by the environment. I guess that applies to many things in life. While being consistent is a virtue, it is one that I lack to a certain degree. So, if small changes help me be more consistent in the big picture things, I think it is a good strategy! Next idea I have is to drag my husband to the pool one evening every week to go swimming! Real swimming, not just floating in the water...

I don’t think I’d want to know if Alzheimer’s is in my future unless there was a cure/preventative path to take

That is why I haven't done it yet. It is just a death sentence if you do have it.

I did better yesterday. I didn't get 10,000 but i was only 500 steps away. It was so nice yesterday that we did a ton of yard work. We were hoping to finish it on Saturday but know it is supposed to rain starting at like 11am. We will see what happens.

Happy Friday! Because the Web Weekend didn't seem to attract much conversation last Friday, I thought we could CELEBRATE Friday the 13th with a MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK CHALLENGE.

Choose from one of these superstitious ideas, and share how the changes bring you good fortune this weekend.

Break the Mirror!
Instead of focusing on physical changes, notice how you're feeling on the inside:
- How are you FEELING? Tune into your energy level and mood, and share at least one change you've noticed
- How is your STRENGTH? Test your limits by pushing a little beyond your normal workout
- How is your HUNGER? Tune into your hunger signals and cravings, and share any changes you've seen!

Spill the Salt!
Cut your salt intake by:
- Avoiding all processed foods at home for ONE WHOLE DAY
- Avoiding the heavily-salted meals at restaurants for the WHOLE WEEKEND
- If you don't eat a lot of processed foods, try seasoning your cooking with different herbs and spices. Bonus if you try something new!

Black Cats!
- Go out for a nice long walk to see if you can see any black cats lurking around the neighborhood
- Dance to any song with the word "black" or "cat" in the lyrics or title
- BE the cat - rock your best little black dress, black slacks, or black t-shirt, and go out for a [healthy] night on the town

Don't like ANY of these options? Well, crank up your favorite song, and dance like crazy to it THIRTEEN TIMES!

Let's see.... when I wake up in the morning there's a black cat laying next to me, so no walking is required to find one. And I'm not a particularly salty person, although I know I get more than I think I do when eating processed foods.

So I'll have to go with Break the Mirror:
Feelings - this is an interesting topic for me right now because I've recently had the realization that cleaning up from sugar is actually more involved than trying to manage an addiction from the in-take perspective (meaning controlling sugar intake). I've been using sugar to numb all of my adult life, so getting clean will be akin to an alcoholic getting sober... I'll start feeling things again and will have to deal with an onslaught of emotions I'm not used to. I think realizing this is going to help, but its going to be rough.
Strength - I have limited strength, or flexibility for that matter. Walking helps to strength my legs, but I don't have any vertical power in them, so this is something to work on.
Hunger - I am going to move toward plant-based eating and intermittent fasting, so part of that is going to have to be listening for physical hunger queues.

Overall I am feeling slightly better today, I still woke up tired but more of a sleepy tired than a feeling crappy tired. Yesterday was kind of crazy at work, hopefully today will be calmer and I can wrap up what I'm working on for the new project. Looks like the weekend weather will be OK enough to get the lawn things done, other than that no plans at all. I really should come up with something and not let the weekend slip away.

Have a wonderfully healthful weekend everyone!

Last edited:
Where does the time go?! I'm caught up on reading but think I'll skip all of the earlier QOTD. Since I plan on eating out for pretty much every meal tomorrow, I think I'll be spilling lots of salt! Hmmm. The mirror. Feeling: I've been trying to make healthier choices for a long time now so not too much in energy level or mood to report. I've been thinking about strength and my lack thereof more and more. This week I have lifted some weights, but it's just been the very barest of minimums so plan to work on that next week. Hunger. I've been eating too much ice cream! I realized that I snack more at work than I do at home. I eat some almonds mid morning which is fine, but later in the day I get stressed or avoid certain projects or I don't know what and dip into the chocolate jar. We have lots of teas at work so I think I might bring a mug and start having tea when I really crave chocolate.

Last night after I had logged all my food, I was 7 calories over. Did you know one minute of jumping jacks (vigorous according to MFP) burns 12 calories? Guess what I did for 60 seconds last night?! I was five calories under goal when I went to bed!! I have a new plan for next week to be more active. The plan does not involve jumping jacks, but I think it will involve planks and probably lunges.

Tomorrow we meet DS1 and I think his girlfriend for lunch a couple hours drive away (for both of us). We are bringing him his dresser which I finally got him to empty when he was home for Easter. That frees up space in his old room that I have big plans for! That will involve freeing up space in another room and I am still scheming what I am going to do with that particular space. :stir: My snowbird parents are on their way back and they plan to meet us. Hopefully my dad will let someone else drive the couple hours back to our house before they continue on a couple more hours! They've been gone six months so we are excited to see them again.

Hello all - I have also caught up on reading the posts - some great chatter has been going on this month.

I have not had a daily walk - but have been getting some walks in - my energy levels are low again - spent Friday and most of Saturday sleeping on and off but also had headaches - so there may have been a little more to the low energy.

Last week I pulled a muscle in my lower back that was super painful that first day - but has gradually been getting better - it just highlighted that I need to stop kidding myself and really need to lose weight and strengthen my body - as I did whilst getting dressed! seriously getting dressed!

I am going to try to be better at checking in with you all here for the rest of the month.

It is properly back to work today for another school term - this is a big one 11 weeks this term and it is going to be super busy. I did a few days of work last week during our Easter break. It was sooo nice to have about 2 weeks off - I would like to say that my house is more in order now after the move - but truthfully it isn't I found it really hard to find the motivation to get it done despite my best intentions. I just need to set some specific goals for that as well I think and stick to it. Part of the problem is clearing out stuff - I know I really need to just let some more things go but I just find it so hard - especially this kids stuff.

I have seen 2 movies in the last week. One with a friend 'Blockers' it gave me more laughs than I thought it would - but also a good girls night out with dinner and chatting. Then yesterday with DD 'Love, Simon' really liked it and I cried. I think I found a dress to wear to DS17s senior ball in May (similar to your prom I suppose) - parents go for about an hour and have photos with the kids etc. and then my niece has gotten engaged and is having a party in June - so will wear the same dress to both. Wish it was a smaller size but I can't expect miracles in a month. I actually found it in a 'bigger size' shop - here is what I liked about it - I didn't feel like I was trying to squeeze myself into even one of the biggest sizes in the shop and it still doesn't look right, like how I usually feel shopping in the 'usual' stores. I will look for another couple of weeks but feel this may be the dress.

Okay its already Monday morning for me and now I have to dash out the door ready for work - have a great week everyone!

I had ... annoying week last week. There were a lot of things leading to more money and time need to be spend to resolve - like broken things, lost things and so on. Nothing real problem but all increased my stress levels

I need to think about last two weeks of the month. I don't feel that I am doing my best tbh and I am not sure is this as I am just trying to do too much in the same time or not!

skipping breakfast is ok on days I work from home or weekends but it's complete no go on work days. I am morning person and wake up at 5 or 5 30. I often have walk or workout in the morning. On work days I take public transport to get to work and carry backpack with gym gear and/or food. There is too much going on between 6 am and 11/12 am and I often have over 6000 steps without actually going for a walk. I am morning person - you won't see me doing much after 8 pm.

I work 2 days from home and still experimenting with it.

I feel I am in bad form this morning as I feel guilty for taking a downtime day in terms of activities. I will be in better mood tomorrow.

II want to lose 2.5 kg Next month

1. Count calories, and hit the target of 650 calories defict daily
I count calories using mfp and use fitbit tracker to adjust.

I am not going to set up any other goals, that's big and challenging enough.

2.3kg down, no wonder I feel I need to chill today. 5lbs! Whoohoo, flying towards my goal

Why I feel I am not doing enough? Probably the incorrect old view creeping up that keeping healthy and losing weight have to be hard. I had bread & cheese one night last week and went over my calories but as most of my days I remained on track it did not impact the end result. It seem it's really not all or nothing type of thinking. Focusing on behavior is great but if I am meeting my result goals without having to be strict with my behavior I need to adjust my thinking so the plan is -keep doing what I am doing. It is working, so I don't need to try harder

Last edited:
@4Mickeys great to see you here again! Sounds like you have a lot going on, but some good things, too. The movies sounds interesting!

2.3kg down, no wonder I feel I need to chill today. 5lbs! Whoohoo, flying towards my goal

I guess you have earned a little relaxation! That is a great acchievement for just two weeks!

---

I am doing well still. Eating and exercise are going well. Weight loss isn't. I am going to give it some time still. I know there are fluctuations. I thought I had found why things weren't working for me, but now after two weeks, I would have hoped to seem some more result on the scale than 400 grams. I am going to see my endicrinologist tomorrow. I had a blood sugar resistance test two weeks ago. We will see what the test results say. I want to be healthy, but I also want to get a grip on my weight again! We will see what he is going to tell me.

The good news is that I was good and prepared my office afternoon snack veggies for the whole week already. So, this morning I actually packed my cottage cheese and my veggies in my lovely Vera Bradly Mickey Head lunch bag that I got last fall at the Disney Outlet in Orlando!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!