Are any stores having clearance sales on Valentine's Day merchandise?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Has any stores put out Valentine's Day clearance sales yet? I'm curious to know? Because the only clearance sale I found out from my mother is that Safeway is having a big Valentine's Day clearance sale on candy. But what about Walmart and CVS?

Yesterday (2/15) was my birthday--traditionally, our family buys me marked-down chocolates or whatever the morning of my birthday, rather than on/before Valentine's Day.

This year, my DH bought me something huge as a birthday gift, so no other gifts, even marked-down, from him. However, DS26 (who is autistic, not that it should matter) went to Publix and scores 2 bags of marked-down Dove chocolate hearts for me. He was pleased with the find, especially since I'm notoriously hard to buy for.

Generally, I find with Walmart, you have to be there right when they open to get anything good on the day after a holiday. It's hit or miss at other places like grocery or drug stores.

I think modern technology has made inventory much easier to judge and stores don't over-buy as much as they did in the past. Most of the Valentine's Day stuff around here was pretty well depleted even last weekend, so there may not be much to put on a clearance sale. If there is, it's usually a just small shelf partially full and very picked over.

My mom was at Safeway's site and she didn't even find the Valentine's Day candy that was on sale and she told me that they were sold out? What candy did Safeway and Vons have on sale? Did they have Dove Chocolates and Hershey Kisses and Hershey Hugs? What about Russell Stover Pecan Delights as well?

I think modern technology has made inventory much easier to judge and stores don't over-buy as much as they did in the past. Most of the Valentine's Day stuff around here was pretty well depleted even last weekend, so there may not be much to put on a clearance sale. If there is, it's usually a just small shelf partially full and very picked over.
The Valentine's aisle at my Walmart was empty last Sunday. Amazingly, they even had sold out of these.photo.jpg

What candy did Safeway and Vons have on sale?
That is going to vary widely based on the specific store. We don’t have Safeway here but say we did — the one 2 miles from my house may have different “clearance” products than the one 10 miles away. Might be mostly Dove at one store but only Hersheys at another. Clearance is what’s leftover, and most stores today may have a grocery cart full or even just half-full as their clearance items. You can’t rely on post-holiday clearance sales anymore.

Stopped into 2 Walgreens today. One had Valentines clearance at 60% with limited selection. The other had 50% with more variety. CVS nearby had 50% off. Pretty good selection. But one thing I noticed: the shelf price on a bag of M&M's was $6.29. So 50% off was still over $3. I didn't feel that was a deal at all.

JoAnn fabric had very little Valentines items. But they were marked down to 70% off.

Also stopped in Walmart yesterday and no Valentines stuff anywhere.
Man I can't believe how many stores I went in the past two days :laughing:

I saw that Kroger in MS had Valentines Fay candy and random items for 70% off. Our local Kroger had nothing.

That is going to vary widely based on the specific store. We don’t have Safeway here but say we did — the one 2 miles from my house may have different “clearance” products than the one 10 miles away. Might be mostly Dove at one store but only Hersheys at another. Clearance is what’s leftover, and most stores today may have a grocery cart full or even just half-full as their clearance items. You can’t rely on post-holiday clearance sales anymore.
This.

If you really want something on after-holiday clearance, may I recommend the following:

Go out first thing, the day after. For a 24-hour Walmart, this is 6 or 7 am (check their website).

Have an idea in mind. For me, I try to get Christmas wrapping that's not overtly Christmasy, for example. I also try to note what else I might need (boxes? gift tags?).

Be willing to try different stores. My DH had no luck with lights on 12/26 at Walmart, but he scored at the Lowe's next door.

Try not to be disappointed if they don't have what you wanted. The stores are trying NOT to sell at a discount, so they may order less of something. Target tends to have various items on sale (like Christmas or Halloween candy) prior to the holiday--better to sell at 20% off, and sell out, than be stuck with lots at 50% off.

If you're a fan of specific candy, you might have better luck watching for regular sales--like the Target example, 20% off is better than paying full price, and you get what you really want. My DH stocks up on M&Ms when they go on sale, and counts himself lucky to score a bag of 50% off post-Valentine's Day ones (which he actually did, yesterday).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter