Are you closer

Poor. Maybe I'd feel differently if we were debt free.

Hmmm, po boys.

Are we talking about %s according to the IRS? Even within the 1% there are those that are lowly wage slaves (just a higher wage), and hedge fund manager types. Very different.

We are much closer to poor than a lot of people. But we also have had some wonderful financial blessings that have kept us living a better life than we could afford.

Honestly, anyone who can afford to go to Disney is not really poor. Most people in the US don't know what poor really is. Poor is more than not having a tv, cell phone or cable and internet, even provided by the Gov and welfare programs. Poor is what people in third world countries experience. No one in the US is really poor since there are programs to help just about everyone. We (DH and I) are what is considered rich by the world's standard (we're in our 50's so that's part of the reason), but there are many much more well off than we are. Heck, our sons, from the time they graduated college were more well off than most of the rest of the world. OP's question is really not something that can be quantified on this site. Even those that are barely scraping by are still "rich" by a lot of the world's standard. I'd say most people on this site are middle income or higher and comfortable. The truly poor aren't on here.

I remember seeing a story a couple of years ago about two single moms on welfare who shared a home and took their kids to WDW every year because they pooled their welfare income. That's not poor. DH and I couldn't do that with 1.5 incomes (DH was a reserve military officer for 30 years and that was enough to make me a SAHM without a lot of extras) Even those living in subsidized housing have things that the rest of the world's truly poor do not-running water, a roof over their heads and food.

The government says I'm dirt poor, and keeps telling me I live in the 9th-poorest county in Missouri. But I have a car, satellite TV, high-speed internet access, a World of Warcraft account, a fridge full of food...

WOW FTW! I used to be a hardcore pvper and an officer in very high level guild, I miss it sometimes.

Definitely more poor than rich. But, we have a roof over our heads and food in the fridge and pantry so we're ok for now.

Closer to poor now that I'm retired. All the years I was working, I didn't feel this way.

WOW FTW! I used to be a hardcore pvper and an officer in very high level guild, I miss it sometimes.

I don't care of PvP at all, and my guild is strictly social. We'll run a dungeon or raid if we have enough people, but otherwise we all just do our thing and help each other our whenever necessary.

Compared to many places in the world, I am rich. I have a roof over my head. My home is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I have never known what it means to starve.

But - and this is an important but - we may know poverty soon in the US, depending on what's decided for health care. I already do not use my health insurance unless I'm about to die or more recently I needed surgery to see. It cost a TON of money, even with insurance. (Think five figures.) But seeing is important, yes? Or...no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!